Update: Henry Cavill looks to star/executive produce Warhammer 40K series for Amazon

23 minutes ago, Massdriver said:

And I have always made the point that I don’t care if they steer away from the source material for tv as long as it’s good. However, I had read that they didn’t even want witcher signs in the show and Cavill made sure it was on there. I don’t know if that’s true, but that would be an example of them veering too far away from the source material. 

I honestly go back and forth on stuff like signs. The characters and world feel true to the source material and that matters more than whether Geralt casts Igni or Hadouken. I think the show handles all of that very well... but I know what you're getting at. And even then, I don't know. A non-trivial amount of the most enduring parts of the LOTR movie adaptations aren't on the pages that inspired them. They're interpreted or invented.

In cases like this I think "straying from the source material" is a convenient excuse even if there is some truth in it. He's pulling the ripcord on what will, in all likelihood, be another shit ass interpretation of Superman, so... who knows.

21 minutes ago, Kal-El814 said:

I honestly go back and forth on stuff like signs. The characters and world feel true to the source material and that matters more than whether Geralt casts Igni or Hadouken. I think the show handles all of that very well... but I know what you're getting at. And even then, I don't know. A non-trivial amount of the most enduring parts of the LOTR movie adaptations aren't on the pages that inspired them. They're interpreted or invented.

In cases like this I think "straying from the source material" is a convenient excuse even if there is some truth in it. He's pulling the ripcord on what will, in all likelihood, be another shit ass interpretation of Superman, so... who knows.

There is insufficient information to make a firm conclusion on this. Admittedly, I am biased towards Cavill because at the end of the day, he did a great job and he’s a pcgamer and nerd like me along with some of the rumors of the set. 

I agree the Superman movies he is leaving for will likely be crap. 

4 minutes ago, Massdriver said:

There is insufficient information to make a firm conclusion on this. Admittedly, I am biased towards Cavill because at the end of the day, he did a great job and he’s a pcgamer and nerd like me along with some of the rumors of the set. 

I agree the Superman movies he is leaving for will likely be crap. 

Henry Cavill and I have a lot in common. We paint minis, build PCs and physically we are both... white :p

• Haha 4

2 hours ago, Massdriver said:

Perhaps I’m unaware of all the other instances where a major flagship show recasts the main character, played by an actor nearly everyone likes as that character, right in the middle season of the show. I’m having trouble coming up with it for tv shows. There are some instances in movie series. 

Edit: Sliders comes to mind, but it was on its death bed. 

Doesn't Dr. Who do it like all the time?

4 hours ago, Kal-El814 said:

I really enjoy The Witcher books, but it strikes me as a bit precious to get caught up in strict adaptations of the source material in almost all cases, and especially with The Witcher.

I like the lore of the Witcher as much as anyone, but if you've actually read the books, they're, uh... Let's just say not exactly the pinnacle of fiction. I don't mind deviation from the lore. The games are essentially fan fiction.

• True 1

On 10/31/2022 at 6:17 PM, Kal-El814 said:

There are some things which are simultaneously not very important, but make it very clear that you have zero regard for the source material and the fans of said source material you're presumably trying to bring in. Like how for the live action Dragon Ball movie, Piccolo originally wasn't going to be green. On the one hand, probably not the most important thing in the world. On the other hand, such a basic and simple thing and it's not like it's better for Piccolo to not be green, so it's a signal that it's shifted from thoughtful interpretation/expansion of the source material to active disregard/disdain for it.

Or when Wahlberg refused to play the Max Payne games. How are you supposed to interpret source material you're refusing to engage with in the first place? That's the kind of alarm bells about did they even look at the source material in the first place that Witcher signs or Piccolo not being green sets off.

On 10/31/2022 at 6:17 PM, Kal-El814 said:

Getting paid multiple truckloads of cash to do a character he may not be as invested in as Geralt, vs sticking around and getting paid significantly less money (this article says $8 million for Witcher season 2 which is a lot of money but not Superman money) watching (in his eyes) Geralt get butchered.

• Thanks 1

On 10/31/2022 at 9:00 PM, Fizzzzle said:

I like the lore of the Witcher as much as anyone, but if you've actually read the books, they're, uh... Let's just say not exactly the pinnacle of fiction. I don't mind deviation from the lore. The games are essentially fan fiction.

Yeah the books are... not that good. The world and lore are what makes this property special.

• Halal 2

On 10/29/2022 at 5:02 PM, Brian said:

Giving up Geralt for one Superman movie that will be mediocre at best and you get shelved once again . That’s a downgrade. 

Hey Warhammer is expensive. We have old world coming out next year or at some point in the future. Warhammer Horus Heresy launched this year and hey he might want to make all 18 legions. Mos def wants to expand his Custodes force for a Talons of the Emperor army.

1 hour ago, Kal-El814 said:

This is NOT a high bar to clear.

Well no, but if they do make him more hopeful and inspiring, even if the movie is still bad, at least we'll know they tried unlike with Snyder completely missing the point of the character. 

Lol at the idea of comic characters having to adhere to some kind strict character traits. The ONE place where it is absolutely laughable to dismiss character changes is in comics where shit new versions of characters are born/killed/thrown through time/evolved/devolved constantly. 

Cause Superman is so damn “hopeful” in the Injustice arc. 

3 minutes ago, Mercury33 said:

Lol at the idea of comic characters having to adhere to some kind strict character traits. The ONE place where it is absolutely laughable to dismiss character changes is in comics where shit new versions of characters are born/killed/thrown through time/evolved/devolved constantly. 

Cause Superman is so damn “hopeful” in the Injustice arc. 

For the umpteenth time...

You wanna do Injustice Supes? Fine. Red Son? Rad. Nuperman? Cool. Kingdom Come? Sure. Superman and Lois? Okay. For All Seasons? Into it. Pick a Kal, any Kal. 

But doing a broody cunt of a Superman that the people are also supposed to adore for... reasons? No. You don't get to have your cake and eat it, too. Snyder's Superman flicks aren't shitty because Superman isn't a boy scout, they're shitty because they're poorly written, the character and people's reactions to him don't make a lick of sense. They're occasionally visually stunning (Snyder does this very well) tire fires.

• Halal 3

• 1 month later...
  • Commissar SFLUFAN changed the title to Update: Henry Cavill announces that he will NOT be returning as Superman following meeting with James Gunn and Peter Safran
2 hours ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:
319669201_2217504231783412_7553793753675
WWW.INSTAGRAM.COM

Henry Cavill shared a post on Instagram. Follow their account to see 539 posts.

I don't exactly like most modern DC movies, but Cavill was basically the only part of the superman bits I liked. He was a great cast in otherwise shit screenplays.

47 minutes ago, silentbob said:

Well, let me be the first to say “Welcome to Marvel films family Mr. Cavill”

He’s been rumoured for Hercules or Wonder Man a few times recently. 

Both have already been cast. Hercules was actually at the end of the last Thor movie. Yaya Mateen who played Black Manta in Aquaman and also was in the most recent Candyman is rumored to be the new Wonderman. The most persistent rumor about Cavill is that he;s in the running to be the new James Bond.

As far as WB/DC is concerned they have a lot of rebuilding and mending fences to do... they're pissing people off all over town. Hopefully Gunn and Safran can right the ship but they have their work cut out for them. It seems like they pretty much want to scrap the whole Snyderverse and start from scratch.

1 hour ago, Jason said:

So Cavill ragequit Witcher to go back to playing Superman without actually having a firm commitment to getting to come back as Superman?

Well, not exactly. He's also allegedly been at least discussed to maybe be the next James Bond and also allegedly his name has been tossed around to get into the MCU somehow. Announcing he's back without having a prior contractual agreement for at least a movie that has to be made or something is strange though.

But as for leaving The Witcher, while a lot of people presume that it was because of Superman, two other reasons have been floated about as well. (1) Cavill disagreed with the amount of his screentime as the seasons were going forward and they weren't including enough Witcher book lore and mythology into the show. Allegedly he had to fight for putting magic in to a degree or something; one ex-writer has alleged that some in the writers' room "mocked the books" though others have since come out (current writers on the show) that dispute this. (2) Cavill allegedly wants to explore bigger and more lucrative opportunities rather than continue to being tied to The Witcher long-term, thus missing his chance(s)(weird, given Witcher's success) since he could end up as James Bond or in the MCU.

This is all rumor and heresay - I'm sure a mixture of it all is what's true. For my money, with no Superman happening, just go back to Witcher. It'll be awkward with cast and crew, but suffer it for the fans. :p 

27 minutes ago, Jason said:

Would be funny/sad if that's the only thing that finally kills the Flash movie.

At this point I do believe WB/DC under Safran and Gunn are committed to releasing the final four Snyderverse/Snyderverse-adjacent movies that are already in the can, and Peacemaker season 2 presumably as well. The final four Snyderverse DC movies are: Shazam: Fury of the Gods, The Flash, Blue Beetle, and Aquaman and the Lost Kingdom. These films are done or almost done, were always planned for theatrical releases, so they will be released. I wouldn't, as a result, expect any concrete Safran/Gunn plans until all four have released so 2024 at the earliest.

Joker 2 is still happening, and word is Safran/Gunn are trying to find some way to fit in Pattinson's Batman movie into their new plans since that isn't connected at all to any Snyderverse stuff. I guess we'll see in time.

There is entirely, entirely, entirely, too much handwringing at WBD about a shared DC continuity. This has been an issue with DC comics since at least 1985 and it's wild to me that it's gotten to this point with the movies and TV shows and games and all of that.

You're not going to be able to just... will people to care about a shared DCCU. Marvel caught lightning in a bottle, emulating that isn't going to work. Not as many people care about the continuity as these studios seem to think. I can think of 10 people who have played a live action Batman since I've been alive, meaning it changes on average every 4 years or so. This shit just doesn't matter to the average person who's interested in going to see superheroes punch one another on the big screen.

Maybe figure out why the Guardians of the Galaxy, who fucking nobody had heard of before that movie came out, made more money than Justice League, or why Thor Ragnarok made more money than Man of Steel. Getting James Gunn is a start I suppose. But from what he's said it seems like his plan is to try to boil the ocean too, which probably isn't going to work.

6 minutes ago, Kal-El814 said:

There is entirely, entirely, entirely, too much handwringing at WBD about a shared DC continuity. This has been an issue with DC comics since at least 1985 and it's wild to me that it's gotten to this point with the movies and TV shows and games and all of that.

You're not going to be able to just... will people to care about a shared DCCU. Marvel caught lightning in a bottle, emulating that isn't going to work.

Marvel comics are written as a shared universe, DC is almost "what if" crossovers when there's overlap. 

split_2_16x9_template_v1-copy-10.jpg?w=1
WWW.HOLLYWOODREPORTER.COM

The streaming giant is in the process of closing the rights to the miniature wargame.

Henry Cavill may not be donning a red cape, but he does have a cool new gig.

The actor, who Wednesday officially hung up his Man of Steel cape after Warner Bros. announced it is going in a new Superman direction thanks to DC Studio heads James Gunn and Peter Safran, is attached to star and executive produce a series adaptation of Warhammer 40,000, the popular science-fiction fantasy miniature wargame that is set up at Amazon.

Amazon is in final talks for the rights to the game, produced by Games Workshop, after months of negotiations and fending off rival companies that also sought the rights.

• Halal 1

• Commissar SFLUFAN changed the title to Update: Henry Cavill looks to star/executive produce Warhammer 40K series for Amazon
13 hours ago, Kal-El814 said:

You're not going to be able to just... will people to care about a shared DCCU. Marvel caught lightning in a bottle, emulating that isn't going to work. Not as many people care about the continuity as these studios seem to think. I can think of 10 people who have played a live action Batman since I've been alive, meaning it changes on average every 4 years or so. This shit just doesn't matter to the average person who's interested in going to see superheroes punch one another on the big screen.

Maybe figure out why the Guardians of the Galaxy, who fucking nobody had heard of before that movie came out, made more money than Justice League, or why Thor Ragnarok made more money than Man of Steel. Getting James Gunn is a start I suppose. But from what he's said it seems like his plan is to try to boil the ocean too, which probably isn't going to work.

I dunno... I think the shared universe thing wotks more than you give it credit for. A lot of people are going to take a chance on Marvel movies the otherwise wouldn't because they now know they are part of a larger ongoing story. If anyone can make it work at DC it's Gunn... he's a talented writer and director and HE'S a not insignificant part of why Marvel has been so successful at the movies. I think Snyder's timing was wrong for the type of DCU films he wanted to do. Nobody wanted to see angst Superman... that's what Batman is for. Once they figure it out they should be good.

It probably goes without saying but it's been confirmed that even with Superman no longer happening for him, Cavill will not be going back to The Witcher either. But Cavill will do just fine, whether that ends up being Bond, the MCU, Warhammer or something else. He's already got a film directed by Guy Ritchie coming out (The Ministry of Ungentlemanly Warfare), a film directed by Matthew Vaughn coming out (Argylle), and if Chad Stahelski ever takes a break from directing John Wick movies, he's supposed to star in Stahelski's Highlander reboot as well. That's pretty good (I'd still like him to go back to The Witcher though).

thewitcher2top-1639972662-9712-163997431
COLLIDER.COM

Cavill is officially 'actor for hire' after his departure from both the Netflix series, and his role as Superman.

40k is the most unadaptable property to a general audience that I can think of. The breadth, depth and insanity of the lore is unparalleled, combined with the fact there are no good guys at least at the macro level and it will cost an absolute fortune to do live action.