Avatar 2 releasing December 16, to be titled “Avatar: The Way of Water”, original film to be remastered for theaters, update: Avatar 3 (2024), Avatar 4 (2026), and Avatar 5 (2028) announced

MCDAVAT_FE018.jpg?w=1024
VARIETY.COM

Cinemacon attended were treated to the first look at James Cameron's long-awaited 'Avatar 2.'

avatar-2-concept-art-1639522729106-16510
WWW.IGN.COM

At CinemaCon 2022, Avatar 2's official title was revealed to be Avatar: The Way of Water. Furthermore, it was announced that a remastered version of the original...

• Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, stepee said:

You know what’s weird is the Avatar land at Disney World is the reason I’m going to get excited to see this in the theater not the original movie. Well, it’s not weird, the land is super cool.

That ride at Disney is F’ing incredible 

Also I liked the first and I’m hyped for all the sequels. Come at me bros

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Brick said:

It'll be interesting to see how the tech has evolved and progressed over the past 13 years. 

Stop that.

Anyway, the first one was just "fine" as a movie, but it did push technology quite a bit. Any time a James Cameron project gets made, it's good for the industry as a whole, as some studio somewhere basically has to invent something we've never seen before to accomplish whatever he wants to do.

Technologically speaking, this whole series of films will be amazing AF & definitely an event to see on the largest screen/best sound possible. I'm all aboard for that. Love that the trailer will be attached to Doctor Strange, even more reason to see it in IMAX then just to witness the trailer for this in that sense. To this day, Avatar in December of 2009 was one of THE all time great movie going experiences I ever had.

• Like 1
  • Halal 1

21 minutes ago, DarkStar189 said:

I never caught on to the Avatar hype and still never sat through the whole movie. Is there something in particular about the new movie that is going to be new or groundbreaking? 

I mean, we'll see, but almost every James Cameron movie pushes the technical limits of film making to the brink, so it's exciting from that perspective.

From a story/character/world perspective, Avatar was like pretty alright, I guess. It's Dances with Wolves, with blue aliens.

• Halal 2

All I will say, whatever it is, the 3D should look amazing. Oh and hey Disney, you better fucking give us a 4K/3D combo release on disc. If not, evolve you streaming service to allow 3D movie service for us 3D movie fans. I know it isn’t there release but I’m real upset that No Way Home didn’t get a 3D release anywhere 

• Commissar SFLUFAN changed the title to Avatar 2 releasing December 16, to be titled “Avatar: The Way of Water”, original film to be remastered for theaters, update: Avatar 3/4/5 announced
On 4/27/2022 at 8:12 PM, Fizzzzle said:

I mean, we'll see, but almost every James Cameron movie pushes the technical limits of film making to the brink, so it's exciting from that perspective.

From a story/character/world perspective, Avatar was like pretty alright, I guess. It's Dances with Wolves, with blue aliens.

I remember seeing Avatar in 3D and it was kinda amazing at the time. Story was pretty standard.

• Commissar SFLUFAN changed the title to Avatar 2 releasing December 16, to be titled “Avatar: The Way of Water”, original film to be remastered for theaters, update: Avatar 3 (2024), Avatar 4 (2026), and Avatar 5 (2028) announced

I didn't love the original, but it was quite the theater experience. I'll probably catch a showing of the first film when they re-release it.

I'll definitely be seeking out the craziest format showing for the second film I can find. Bring on the 120fps 3D IMAX madness.

• Haha 1

I agree that is isn’t the best movie but the 3D is pretty great. Only have watched my 3D copy once on my projector, but might give it another viewing before the new one. First movie at my theatre was literally sold out from 2nd weekend of its release (lotta snow that 1st week) until beginning of March for our (at that time) only digital 3D screen. Would of stayed there if Disney didn’t threaten to pull Alice in Wonderland from playing at all at our theatre unless it got the 3D theatre. 

On 4/27/2022 at 8:28 PM, silentbob said:

All I will say, whatever it is, the 3D should look amazing. Oh and hey Disney, you better fucking give us a 4K/3D combo release on disc. If not, evolve you streaming service to allow 3D movie service for us 3D movie fans. I know it isn’t there release but I’m real upset that No Way Home didn’t get a 3D release anywhere 

Lets be realz, I believe you have a 3D projector but that market is like niche of a niche at this point with no tvs supporting it any longer. I think the best hope for 3D at home moving forward is bringing 3D movies to vr. I mean, this already works, but there should be a service designed for watching things like this in 3D at home via quest etc.

It would be funny if 3D tried to make another come back on tvs though. Technology wise what exactly is stopping current tvs from just..supporting passive? New tvs are native 120hz now wasn't that the main thing?

18 minutes ago, stepee said:

Lets be realz, I believe you have a 3D projector but that market is like niche of a niche at this point with no tvs supporting it any longer. I think the best hope for 3D at home moving forward is bringing 3D movies to vr. I mean, this already works, but there should be a service designed for watching things like this in 3D at home via quest etc.

It would be funny if 3D tried to make another come back on tvs though. Technology wise what exactly is stopping current tvs from just..supporting passive? New tvs are native 120hz now wasn't that the main thing?

More over the standards of the 3D glasses really. At least with Sony when they did their projectors/tv 3D they were with the older IR and not RF for them. RF does a better job of keeping the 3D glasses working from most viewing spots because IR need a more direct communication from emitter to glasses. Plus the battery charging and weight were turn offs, and ghosting with the earlier sets. Then you have LG and their passive sets which allowed you to grab a pair of new glasses from a movie theatre. They are working on new 3D sets but the trying to 3DS them so no glasses will be needed. Just trying to figure out making the view standard from the various angles people would be watching the set from. I believe Cameron is behind this and for glasses free 3D showings in theatres too. Originally I believe he thought 3D glasses free theatres would of been a thing by now. Maybe soon but the tech stills seems a bit off but who knows by Avatar 4 or 5

7 minutes ago, silentbob said:

More over the standards of the 3D glasses really. At least with Sony when they did their projectors/tv 3D they were with the older IR and not RF for them. RF does a better job of keeping the 3D glasses working from most viewing spots because IR need a more direct communication from emitter to glasses. Plus the battery charging and weight were turn offs, and ghosting with the earlier sets. Then you have LG and their passive sets which allowed you to grab a pair of new glasses from a movie theatre. They are working on new 3D sets but the trying to 3DS them so no glasses will be needed. Just trying to figure out making the view standard from the various angles people would be watching the set from. I believe Cameron is behind this and for glasses free 3D showings in theatres too. Originally I believe he thought 3D glasses free theatres would of been a thing by now. Maybe soon but the tech stills seems a bit off but who knows by Avatar 4 or 5

Yeah that’s what I figured is passive is what would be easy to do now. But like is there something stopping a current tv right now that is 120hz native from supporting 3D with passive content besides them simply just deciding not to? Like it seems as if it would be a free feature to add these days.

1 hour ago, stepee said:

Yeah that’s what I figured is passive is what would be easy to do now. But like is there something stopping a current tv right now that is 120hz native from supporting 3D with passive content besides them simply just deciding not to? Like it seems as if it would be a free feature to add these days.

There really is no technical reason why you can’t do triple-flash passive 3D with any 144hz display at 24fps.

You could also do half res double-flash on 120hz at 60fps. Lots of different ways to go.

11 minutes ago, sblfilms said:

There really is no technical reason why you can’t do triple-flash passive 3D with any 144hz display at 24fps.

You could also do half res double-flash on 120hz at 60fps. Lots of different ways to go.

THEN TELL THEM TO SUPPORT IT

So here is the thing right when they were starting to axe 3D TV's passive 3D was just becoming really good. I hope Avatar 2 brings 3D back in a big way and LG decides to try and push passive again as a way to push their OLED's because the cost to add it is inconsequential.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Bacon said:

Prolly just cuz it is a YT video but some of that CG looked like total shit. 

I actually thought it was an improvement over the first movie in several areas like the improved facial textures, especially the lips and cheeks. Loved the tranquil theme they had going on there, along with the colour pallet and me having a toke.can’t wait to see this in 3D 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, AbsolutSurgen said:

The CGI looks stunning in this trailer.  Some of the small details are incredible.

I thought the first one was a fantastic popcorn flick, and really don't understand the hate for it that exists in some parts of the internet.

i only hear crap about it on the internet. most people like the movie.