Avatar 2 releasing December 16, to be titled “Avatar: The Way of Water”, original film to be remastered for theaters, update: Avatar 3 (2024), Avatar 4 (2026), and Avatar 5 (2028) announced

Saw this in IMAX/3d with the kids and inlaws.  Everyone really enjoyed it.  Not sure where the social media hate was coming from on this one.

I know the story is a little shallow, but damn the CGI looked good.  The way he built the individual family members into such distinct characters was amazing for this style of popocorn flick.  I know it slowed down the pacing, but I think it worked.  I'll  be going to see Avatar 3 without reading reviews. 

• Like 1

s2309a_0600_hiRez4kTiff_comp4k_v02.1037_
WWW.HOLLYWOODREPORTER.COM

The visionary director says 'The Way of Water' will "easily" pass the break-even point at the box office and now he "can't wiggle out" of making more sequels.

“The fire will be represented by the ‘Ash People,’” Cameron said. “I want to show the Na’vi from another angle because, so far, I have only shown their good sides. In the early films, there are very negative human examples and very positive Na’vi examples. In Avatar 3, we will do the opposite. We will also explore new worlds, while continuing the story of the main characters. I can say that the last parts will be the best. The others were an introduction, a way to set the table before serving the meal.”

Happy Celebrity Family Feud GIF by ABC Network

• Sicko Sherman 1

On 12/14/2022 at 7:18 PM, sblfilms said:

48 fps at 360 degree shutter has the same blur as 24 fps 180 degree shutter. Motion rendition itself is the bigger issue.

Forgot to respond to this, but really? I never heard that. Any examples out there I could check out to see? 

9 minutes ago, Brick said:

Forgot to respond to this, but really? I never heard that. Any examples out there I could check out to see? 

Yes, motion blur in recorded content is primarily a factor of exposure time. The standard exposure time for 24fps is 1/48th of a second. Typically when shooting for something that will have both 48fps and 24fps versions, you’ll still shoot 1/48th.

But motion rendition will change with the same blur but different frame rates.

You can also see the impact of higher shutter speeds at 24fps probably most famously in Saving Private Ryan and the Omaha Beach sequence. A lot of the fight sequences in Gladiator are also shot with a 45 degree shutter like SPR. 

Michael Bay is another guy that loves high shutter speeds.

On 1/6/2023 at 4:47 PM, sblfilms said:

Yes, motion blur in recorded content is primarily a factor of exposure time. The standard exposure time for 24fps is 1/48th of a second. Typically when shooting for something that will have both 48fps and 24fps versions, you’ll still shoot 1/48th.

But motion rendition will change with the same blur but different frame rates.

You can also see the impact of higher shutter speeds at 24fps probably most famously in Saving Private Ryan and the Omaha Beach sequence. A lot of the fight sequences in Gladiator are also shot with a 45 degree shutter like SPR. 

Michael Bay is another guy that loves high shutter speeds.

Yes I'm aware of how cameras and shutter speeds work (I went to film school), I meant I never heard that filming at 48fps with a 360 degree shutter speed produces the same motion blur we're used to seeing in films shot in 24fps, and was wondering if there are any examples of 48/360 I could see. 

• 2 weeks later...

My wife and I saw this a few weeks ago (in 3D/24fps). Amazing on every technical level, but more "just solid" on the story/plot/character front. Parts were cool but again I'm not really invested in the characters despite the character work. Everything feels broad and stereotypical. I'd give this a 6.5/10 or 7/10. More Avatar, I guess. 

• Shocked 1

1 minute ago, stepee said:

I really want to watch this but just haven’t felt like going to a movie theater with my leg yet :/ I really should make myself soon as I really don’t want to miss out of ever seeing it in the theater 

They will release it again no doubt. I'm just not into it enough to drag myself to a theater to see it. I'm sure it's awesome in 3D.

• True 1

25 minutes ago, stepee said:

I really want to watch this but just haven’t felt like going to a movie theater with my leg yet :/ I really should make myself soon as I really don’t want to miss out of ever seeing it in the theater 

22 minutes ago, best3444 said:

They will release it again no doubt. I'm just not into it enough to drag myself to a theater to see it. I'm sure it's awesome in 3D.

Technically, it is really impressive.  The CGI is the best I've seen, and there are lots of "wow, that is visually stunning" moments.  It will hit a lot harder on the big screen.  (I saw it in Imax 3D.)

• Halal 1

What's insane is that while WoW has remained #1 for the last 6 weeks, the last film to do so was the first Avatar, and before that the only film prior to that which held at least 6 weeks in a row at #1 was, coincidentally, Titanic! This is why the phrase "Do not bet against James Cameron." is a thing.

• True 1

2 billion… yet I dont see any footprint of it on social media (all 2 im on)..

with big money films like Endgame, No Way Home and Maverick I would see friends and peers mentioning those movies as the event to see… nothing, absolutely nothing on Avatar.. no leaked footage, no mention of must see moments… nada.. so odd

1 hour ago, 5timechamp said:

2 billion… yet I dont see any footprint of it on social media (all 2 im on)..

with big money films like Endgame, No Way Home and Maverick I would see friends and peers mentioning those movies as the event to see… nothing, absolutely nothing on Avatar.. no leaked footage, no mention of must see moments… nada.. so odd

As someone who hasn't seen it, i completely expect it to be an extremely meh movie with good visuals, just like the first one, and then never care to ever watch it again.

4 hours ago, TheLeon said:

It’s 100% about the experience. The overwhelming audiovisual presentation, the incredible VFX creating this beautiful world, the immersion of the 3D. Either that is enough to elevate a pretty bland script for you, or it’s not. For me it was enough. 

Agreed. If you told nearly the same story but made it more pedestrian, like setting it on Earth and making it about actual native peoples, it wouldn't get nearly the same traction. While I don't think the film is great, I think it's easy to recommend because there's nothing else like it and there's not likely to be (besides the other Avatar movies). See it on the big screen, enjoy the ride, don't think about it until the next one comes out.

15 minutes ago, TwinIon said:

Agreed. If you told nearly the same story but made it more pedestrian, like setting it on Earth and making it about actual native peoples, it wouldn't get nearly the same traction. While I don't think the film is great, I think it's easy to recommend because there's nothing else like it and there's not likely to be (besides the other Avatar movies). See it on the big screen, enjoy the ride, don't think about it until the next one comes out.

Pretty much this. The movie didn't move me in any way (except for a few bits) and the whole thing plays out as you'd expect but everyone should watch it once.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
36 minutes ago, _BJ_ said:

Curious where you saw that?  I can't seem to find info on that. Would be a welcome surprise, my son wants to watch it. 

Ah, sorry, I must've misread, the google results when I was checking were jumbling parts together. Looks like it becomes available on VOD services to stream tomorrow and then "sometime in April" for D+

• 2 months later...

I thought some local stores would have carried the 3D disc release for me to purchase, instead of $40 from Amazon.ca. Well turns out that no one carried the 3D version and I had to buy from Amazon anyways. Turns out that Disney under produced the for 3D demand, and gotta press more discs in Mexico. So what I though would have been a next day delivery, now won’t arrive now until July 7th-9th. A few days earlier would be awesome for my BDay

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, silentbob said:

I thought some local stores would have carried the 3D disc release for me to purchase, instead of $40 from Amazon.ca. Well turns out that no one carried the 3D version and I had to buy from Amazon anyways. Turns out that Disney under produced the for 3D demand, and gotta press more discs in Mexico. So what I though would have been a next day delivery, now won’t arrive now until July 7th-9th. A few days earlier would be awesome for my BDay

Have you gotten 3D movies working off blu ray yet on rokid? I want to watch this in 3D and was thinking of getting this too and also noticed no stores have it :(