Avatar 2 releasing December 16, to be titled “Avatar: The Way of Water”, original film to be remastered for theaters, update: Avatar 3 (2024), Avatar 4 (2026), and Avatar 5 (2028) announced

I find it funny that this opened on a weekend when a big snowstorm hits the northeast and tornadoes in the south. This is exactly how the first movie opened all them years ago, but we all know it had fucking legs. Back then the 3D was the selling point and kept selling out our weekend show all the way in to late Feb before Alice in Wonderland or How to Train Your Dragon 2 took over. Only got our one 3D screen because they were going to pull the movie from any theatre that didn’t show it in 3D (if capable) I wanna see and looks like the HFR 3D is at my local premium AVX/Atmos/D-Box screen. Busy with work this week but might try during the holidays

Saw it in private theater showing today. Friend of ours bought out the whole theater for his girlfriend's birthday which was something I didn't even know you could do.

The movie itself was pretty good but excessively long, could definitely trim 30 minutes out of the middle.

The 3d was incredible, I can't imagine watching it anyway else.

I’m gonna take my mom to see it. She hasn’t been to the theaters forever and she likes popcorn type movies. Went to look at tickets and I see, digital, real 3D, Dolby cinema 3D, and IMAX with laser 3D. What is this goofy shit? You click for more information to try to figure out the differences and it’s just marketing cum words sprayed all over the screen. I legitimately have no clue. Shit like this turns you off from going. 

16 minutes ago, Brian said:

I’m gonna take my mom to see it. She hasn’t been to the theaters forever and she likes popcorn type movies. Went to look at tickets and I see, digital, real 3D, Dolby cinema 3D, and IMAX with laser 3D. What is this goofy shit? You click for more information to try to figure out the differences and it’s just marketing cum words sprayed all over the screen. I legitimately have no clue. Shit like this turns you off from going. 

MCDAVTH_WD040.jpg?w=780
WWW.INDIEWIRE.COM

There are several key factors to consider if you want to see James Cameron's latest technical masterpiece the way he intended it.

I thought it was bad enough with the first movie. Both the Digital 2D/3D prints came came on a separate drive containing the movie either in Flat 1.78:1 ratio or they sent you the film in Scope 2.35:1 ratio. The movie also came out on 35mm print and they were all in Scope, I believe. Then the disc releases were all in Flat (might of still had *shivers* full screen dvds) 

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, Brian said:

I’m taking your mom to see it also so I was looking i to this. Those things are all display technologies sesperate from the high frame rate aspect. Digital I believe is just 2D, reald 3D is old school 3D tech like from when the first Avatar was out, Imax 3D with laser sounds silly but what it is doing is projecting with laser to make everything extra bright so that when you put in the glasses it compensates for the way glasses darken the image. Dolby Cinema 3D is essentially extra bright like Imax with laser with the addition of HDR.

So essentially if you are watching in 3D and have options you want either Dolby Cinema 3D or Imax 3D with laser depending on if you prefer better color depth or a larger screen.

I’d probably just try to find a high frame rate Dolby Cinema 3D showing and sit closer to the screen if it’s not big enough. I imagine the various hues of water look nicer with hdr.

You also then need to make sure they are HFR (high frame rate) if you want that. 

• Thanks 1
  • Hugs 1

36 minutes ago, stepee said:

I’m taking your mom to see it also so I was looking i to this. Those things are all display technologies sesperate from the high frame rate aspect. Digital I believe is just 2D, reald 3D is old school 3D tech like from when the first Avatar was out, Imax 3D with laser sounds silly but what it is doing is projecting with laser to make everything extra bright so that when you put in the glasses it compensates for the way glasses darken the image. Dolby Cinema 3D is essentially extra bright like Imax with laser with the addition of HDR.

So essentially if you are watching in 3D and have options you want either Dolby Cinema 3D or Imax 3D with laser depending on if you prefer better color depth or a larger screen.

I’d probably just try to find a high frame rate Dolby Cinema 3D showing and sit closer to the screen if it’s not big enough. I imagine the various hues of water look nicer with hdr.

You also then need to make sure they are HFR (high frame rate) if you want that. 

This is all excellent advice but he should really ask which version his mom wants to see.

• True 1

1 hour ago, stepee said:

My mom lives by one theater so they have what I listed. I think I will offer her the Dolby since it has recliner seats but the IMAX doesn’t. Reviews say the 2D screens are in the older part of the theater that has not been refreshed. 

It is silly that I have to research this before watching a movie. 

oh and she is excited about seeing it with you. You guys have a lot in common with the broken bones and pain. Wear some tight pants for her. 

• Like 1

James probably shouldn't be holding his breath about Avatar 4-6 getting greenlit:

107166096-2190_0160_still_v01_7324a624.j
WWW.CNBC.COM

Analysts pegged the long-awaited "Avatar" sequel as a box office winner for Disney and are viewing the holiday season as a make-or-break period for the film.

Shares of Disney dropped on Monday following a weaker-than-expected opening box office weekend for James Cameron's "Avatar: The Way of Water."

Disney shares closed down more than 4% at $85.78, after hitting a 52-week low. The company has seen its stock fall more than 40% in the past year.

Industry analysts pegged the long-awaited "Avatar" sequel as a box office winner for Disney and are viewing the holiday season as a make-or-break period for the film.

The film notched $134 million at the domestic box office during its opening weekend, falling short of analyst expectations of $175 million and Disney's own forecast of between $135 million and $150 million.

It’ll have legs like the first movie. The length of the film doesn’t help it either, but we’re also dealing with a Nor’easter and probably a repeat this weekend for most of central to east coast residents. It’s the little engine that could and will just keep chugging along at a good steady rate. Wont reach the first movies numbers by any means but I would assume an overall total of at least $1.5-1.8B when all is said and done 

• True 1

• 2 weeks later...

While the opening wasn't gigantic, it sure seems like Way of Water is going to have legs, which I think should have been the default assumption from day one, given how the first film performed and who made it.

It might hit $1.5B WW by January first, and seems like it will easily be the highest grossing film of 2022 worldwide. Domestically it'll need crazy holds to get close to Maverick, but while I wouldn't take that bet, I think it's plausible. The next big action movie isn't until Quantumania on Feb 17.

Still, an easy #2 domestic and a solid #1 worldwide sounds to me like a reasonable success, even given the insane pedigree.

I'll probably end up seeing it again.

9 minutes ago, best3444 said:

Wtf. Do I have to drag myself out of the house to see this shit? I didn't really enjoy the first one. 

in 3D, yes. the movie itself, it’s not like the greatest of all time. but holy fuck the visuals  with the 3D are superb. and i DO think the 2nd and 3rd act of the movie are really good. 

the movie is legit good 

• Thanks 2

11 hours ago, EternallDarkness said:

dammit. I already wear glasses so I hate seeing movies in 3D 

this movie is go see it on the biggest 3d screen you can find or don't go see it. The spectacle of the experience is much more important than the plot/characters/usual movie components. It really is much an amusement park ride as it is a movie.

3 hours ago, sblfilms said:

I’d be surprised if the flick doesn’t go over 2 billion world wide at this point

While it doesn’t affect me how much Disney makes on this I also lovvvvve haters trying to downplay stuff getting dunked on by undeniable success so this rules.

8 minutes ago, sblfilms said:

I don’t know why people doubt Cameron and his ability to make pop hits. Dude is so good at it, regardless of how you feel about his films.

It’s like people try to will their own disinterest on to other people but then they still see it themselves which should be the first hint that they are off the mark!