Avatar 2 releasing December 16, to be titled “Avatar: The Way of Water”, original film to be remastered for theaters, update: Avatar 3 (2024), Avatar 4 (2026), and Avatar 5 (2028) announced

9 hours ago, best3444 said:

Is it just me or does the cgi look kinda bad? It certainly doesn't look real and I thought by 2022 cgi would be photo realistic.

1992 was Terminator 2 and that had great cgi. We haven't come far from that at all. Especially when you think of Jurassic Park in 1993. That still is impressive. 

:shrug:

Alright, but what's your reference for what a photo-realistic Navi and Pandora is supposed to look like?

It's a little hard to judge what looks real when literally everything on the screen is fictional.

• True 2

• 3 weeks later...
cameron-wm-16x91.jpg?mbid=social_retweet
WWW.GQ.COM

It’s been 13 years since James Cameron released 'Avatar,' the highest-grossing movie of all time. Now, the director is back with a deeply personal sequel—and the reasonable expectation that it could be the biggest thing he’s done yet.

In September, he still wasn’t done. The Way of Water was expensive to make—How expensive? “Very fucking,” according to Cameron, who told me he’d informed the studio that the film represented “the worst business case in movie history.” In order to be profitable, he’d said, “you have to be the third or fourth highest-grossing film in history. That’s your threshold. That’s your break even.”

So to break even on this movie this movie needs to make 2 billion dollars!

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, Keyser_Soze said:
cameron-wm-16x91.jpg?mbid=social_retweet
WWW.GQ.COM

It’s been 13 years since James Cameron released 'Avatar,' the highest-grossing movie of all time. Now, the director is back with a deeply personal sequel—and the reasonable expectation that it could be the biggest thing he’s done yet.

So to break even on this movie this movie needs to make 2 billion dollars!

didn’t he shoot multiple movies at once? feel like if this one is a hit but comes up short or that they can still make their money back on the next one 

5 hours ago, Mr.Vic20 said:

I have never seen a single minute of Avatar. It seemed like all ride and no substance? 

It is a mediocre movie. Looked nice tho, during the first and last time I ever saw it.

I won't be seeing the rest of this series.

• Halal 1

That's a great profile of Cameron. It's kinda hilarious how much James Cameron plays the "I'm James Cameron" card. Not that his track record doesn't justify it, but it's still kinda funny.

I bought tickets to opening night in Dolby Cinema 3D, which I hope is one of the best ways to see it. I feel like there has been so much format discussion over the years leading up to this film, and now that tickets are available it's really not clear if there's a "best" way to see it or what the differences are. I found some Reddit threads that seem to have decent info, but who knows if that's right.

I also don't even know where it ended up with the HFR stuff. I feel like the last I read about it was that only some sequences were rendered in 48FPS, but the whole thing would be displayed at 48, just frame doubled most of the time, but I don't really know if that was the final result. I also have no clue what frame rate different theaters are showing it at.

They probably just don't want to confuse anyone or preference one type of experience over another, and theaters probably aren't putting in new equipment for this one, so whatever. Still, as someone who wanted to see the HFR versions of The Hobbit films and Gemini Man, I'd make an extra effort to see this one in whatever crazy format Cameron puts out there if they clarified what the choices are.

9 hours ago, Mr.Vic20 said:

I have never seen a single minute of Avatar. It seemed like all ride and no substance? 

Never got into it either.  Feels weird to read the comments for this trailer and people are like "oh wow this brought me to tears! The first movie meant so much to me!".  I feel way out of the loop.

If it's a theater thing, the options close to me aren't great.  There is definitely one 3D imax screen but I don't think it has any other extra features.

• Halal 1

14 minutes ago, DarkStar189 said:

Never got into it either.  Feels weird to read the comments for this trailer and people are like "oh wow this brought me to tears! The first movie meant so much to me!".  I feel way out of the loop.

If it's a theater thing, the options close to me aren't great.  There is definitely one 3D imax screen but I don't think it has any other extra features.

lol, I saw the first Avatar on opening night. It was average at best with cool 3-D at that time period. The movie was not that great at all. You're not missing out on anything.

47 minutes ago, silentbob said:

I finally watched the trailer I posted and that was amazing looking. They for the love of god better release this like Alita, in a 4K/3D disc set. 

Yea, that trailer proved me wrong with where CGI is in 2022. This looks really impressive visually. 

• Halal 1

Eh, it still looks like goofy old avatar to me.

Visually impressive I guess, but I always found the overall aesthetic and art direction to be super cringy and annoying. It all looks a little too good. Both too real and too fake at the same time. It doesn't look like we are seeing something real. It looks like we're watching someone play a video game from 30 years in the future.

Beyond all that, the story and dialog and action and characters and all that other stuff were just so full of tropes and corniness. I really didn't like the first one at all and these trailers do nothing for me at all.

• True 1
  • Halal 1

4 hours ago, ort said:

Eh, it still looks like goofy old avatar to me.

Visually impressive I guess, but I always found the overall aesthetic and art direction to be super cringy and annoying. It all looks a little too good. Both too real and too fake at the same time. It doesn't look like we are seeing something real. It looks like we're watching someone play a video game from 30 years in the future.

Beyond all that, the story and dialog and action and characters and all that other stuff were just so full of tropes and corniness. I really didn't like the first one at all and these trailers do nothing for me at all.

Same here... I really don't give a shit about this movie or this world but as I explained to someone last night, this is Star Wars for a whole generation that has now come of age... or are at least in their early to mid 20's. This movie will probably be the highest grossing film of the year with Wakanda and Top Gun in the second and third spots.

8 hours ago, skillzdadirecta said:

Same here... I really don't give a shit about this movie or this world but as I explained to someone last night, this is Star Wars for a whole generation that has now come of age... or are at least in their early to mid 20's. This movie will probably be the highest grossing film of the year with Wakanda and Top Gun in the second and third spots.

Hmm, it'll be interesting if it can beat Top Gun. I agree, this series is trash in all truth. 

I went to see the original Avatar with a group of liberal/left-leaning friends and practically all of them laughed through the entire thing at how annoyingly preachy/on-the-nose the experience turned out to be.

One of them said that she was pretty sure that she now had permanent physical damage from how often she rolled her eyes at it :p

3 hours ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

I went to see the original Avatar with a group of liberal/left-leaning friends and practically all of them laughed through the entire thing at how annoyingly preachy/on-the-nose the experience turned out to be.

One of them said that she was pretty sure that she now had permanent physical damage from how often she rolled her eyes at it :p

This reminds me of one of the great anecdotes in that GQ profile where Cameron is talking to the head of Fox who says:

‘Is there any way you can get the kind of tree-hugging hippie bullshit out of it?’ Quote, unquote. I said, ‘So Peter, I’m at a point now in my career and in my life where I can pretty much make any movie I want. And I chose to make this story because of the tree-hugging hippie bullshit.’ ”

Even if it's not true, it is a window into Cameron's intentions. He's laying it on thick because that's the point. I don't think that makes it a better movie, but he sure hit was he was aiming for.

The runtime according to the Disney email for ticket on sale is a 192 minute runtime and I hate literally everything

23 hours ago, TwinIon said:

I bought tickets to opening night in Dolby Cinema 3D, which I hope is one of the best ways to see it.

This should be 4k/48fps from the documentation Disney has sent.