Avatar 2 releasing December 16, to be titled “Avatar: The Way of Water”, original film to be remastered for theaters, update: Avatar 3 (2024), Avatar 4 (2026), and Avatar 5 (2028) announced

8 minutes ago, stepee said:

I really hope by the third one things go completely off the rails and insane. How many of these have they already mostly shot? 

I believe 2 and 3 were shot/captured simultaneously, with 4 and 5 scheduled to start as soon as post finishes on 3.

18 hours ago, Brick said:

So it looks like he's had kids. Are they half human half navi? Wasn't his avatar different than natural navi, like it had some human DNA in it or something? 

They could be adopted, I'm thinking? From what I rememebr Jake's Navi body was made from a combination of his twin brother's human DNA and that of Navi DNA but otherwise creating a Navi in all other ways - this was so they could do the mental handshake where your consciousness would go into the Navi body and so your Navi body somewhat looked like your real human self. If anything their kids should look like Navi I would think.

I like Avatar, and when I watch it I make sure to watch the super extended edition because the best part of the movie is just enjoying the wonders of Pandora. The story and characters are fine enough, I honestly wish it was more of a space movie, clearly that's not the intent with these films. If Cameron is willing to finally get interesting with the story and characters, I'm otherwise all there. 

• Halal 1

I'm excited for the theatrical rerelease of the first one. I skipped it in theaters the first time, for no good reason. They're operating on different scales, but I wonder if it's like Gravity. If you watch the movie at home, it's pretty good. When I saw Gravity in IMAX 3D, it was an all-time great cinematic experience. 

22 hours ago, Dre801 said:

Meh.  It's been 13 years and other than the tech, I wasn't blown away the the first one.   I'm sure I'll see it eventually.

It was a pretty movie with a braindead story. I don't fault it *too* much for that, I mean I don't need every movie to have a Dickensian plot, and lord knows the story on Aliens and Terminator 1/2 weren't that complicated. But that does mean that you can watch Avatar one or two times and have your fill for life, basically.

And tech demos rarely age well.

1 hour ago, LazyPiranha said:

Those movies are both worse than the originals though.

Aliens I'll grant you is not as good as Alien, but it just went in a different direction than another straight horror movie, and made a kick-ass action movie that is a superb sequel. T2 I hard disagree. It is better than the first, and one of the greatest sequels ever, up there with other masterful sequels like The Empire Strikes Back, Godfather II, and The Dark Knight. 

T2 is a fun movie, but it takes the narrative purity and focus of the first move and fucks it all up.  It turns the plot into nonsense because the machines somehow decide to try the original plan again but better this time and the original rules of time travel are just brushed off for no reason and the terminator has the same organic human skin again because who cares.  Instead of man vs machine it’s now machine vs machine and frankly who gives a shit.  Add in a whiny kid and bad 90’s attitude and it’s just not as good.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Brick said:

It is better than the first, and one of the greatest sequels ever, up there with other masterful sequels like The Empire Strikes Back, Godfather II, and The Dark Knight. 

But Godfather 1 is better than 2 and Batman Begins was better than TDK. 🤔

2 hours ago, LazyPiranha said:

T2 is a fun movie, but it takes the narrative purity and focus of the first move and fucks it all up.  It turns the plot into nonsense because the machines somehow decide to try the original plan again but better this time and the original rules of time travel are just brushed off for no reason and the terminator has the same organic human skin again because who cares.  Instead of man vs machine it’s now machine vs machine and frankly who gives a shit.  Add in a whiny kid and bad 90’s attitude and it’s just not as good.

This is a pretty hot take - T2 is a nearly peerless and perfect action movie. T1 and T2 aren't even attempting the same genres, as T1 is much more horror (akin to Alien vs. Aliens, in fact). If someone prefers T1 over T2 I can understand it, but you're making it sound like T2 isn't even that good a movie when it's considered a classic for a reason.

• True 1

9 hours ago, Keyser_Soze said:

But Godfather 1 is better than 2 and Batman Begins was better than TDK. 🤔

I didn't say that masterful sequels are necessarily better than the previous movie, just that they are so good that they're on another level than what most sequels are. I hard disagree with TDK not being better though. It's still the best superhero movie for me. Still annoyed it was snubbed at the Oscars. 

12 hours ago, LazyPiranha said:

I mean... pretty much everyone that saw it was into it.

• True 1

• 4 months later...
823d8814b8614d749ba91a3c597e6072
WWW.YAHOO.COM

James Cameron revealed in a recent interview with The New York Times that he shut down 20th Century Fox executives when they tried to battle him over a key sequence in “Avatar.” Cameron rejected the studio’s notes to make the film shorter and to trim the movie’s flying sequences by telling executives that he directed […]

• Haha 1
  • True 1

On 5/11/2022 at 9:39 PM, LazyPiranha said:

Loved the movie, but Furlong did suck :p 

Always love to meet fellow T1 > T2 people.

T2 is a fun action movie (and yes, a classic) but a really shitty sequel to the superior Terminator.

T2 has some amazingly crafted action sequences and one of the best villains of all time (but still not as good as Arnie in the first one) ... but the story is really a sack of dookie... it's a complete retread of the first and makes zero sense given the story and rules the first movie put in place.

T2 is a lazy sequel with a giant budget and a very talented director at the top of his game.

Terminator is an amazingly paced, tightly written, tense roller coaster ride with a great story that pays itself off and follows its own logic... unlike the sequel which throws everything that happened and everything that was established in the first movie right into the trash in order to make a bigger badder retread of the exact same story even though it made zero sense the second time around.

• 1 month later...

Is it just me or does the cgi look kinda bad? It certainly doesn't look real and I thought by 2022 cgi would be photo realistic.

1992 was Terminator 2 and that had great cgi. We haven't come far from that at all. Especially when you think of Jurassic Park in 1993. That still is impressive. 

:shrug:

21 minutes ago, best3444 said:

Is it just me or does the cgi look kinda bad? It certainly doesn't look real and I thought by 2022 cgi would be photo realistic.

1992 was Terminator 2 and that had great cgi. We haven't come far from that at all. Especially when you think of Jurassic Park in 1993. That still is impressive.

Most of Jurassic Park is practical effects not CGI which is why it holds up.

7 minutes ago, Keyser_Soze said:

Most of Jurassic Park is practical effects not CGI which is why it holds up.

I understand that but there was plenty of amazing cgi, too. Practical effects were great and I think mixing the two is what works best. For example, the effects in Stranger Things. 

41 minutes ago, best3444 said:

CGI can be photorealistic but when your entire film is shot on green screens for CG effects, it'll always look CG to some degree, the way the Star Wars prequels do, or Sky Captain and the World of Tomorrow, the third acts of many Marvel movies, Star Wars shows shot on The Voice set, etc. It's just too much CG, so yeah, it's gonna come off like really good FMV cutscenes.

The tactile-ness of real effects, matte shots, and practical costumes, etc. really can't be undersold. The easiest way to see this is the real orcs in the LOTR trilogy vs. the CG orcs in the Hobbit trilogy. CG should also be in addition to these things, to expand the scope of the armies or whatever, etc. It can't work as a full replacement, and until CG can create the tactile feel of real things, it will also feel floaty, or less than, or not real enough.

• Halal 1

Trailer looked beautiful and thought the CGI was much improved compare to the first outing. That year I thought District 9 had the better and more realistic CGI. Just don’t screw me out of my 3D disc release when the time comes. Probably won’t hit Disney+ as fast as the more recent Marvel films too