Little Mermaid first image

1 minute ago, number305 said:

Are we counting Cruella in the live action versions... cause that was decent.  I think the only other one I have seen was the jungle book - and I only really liked the Christopher Walken part.  I have no desire to see this... but I'm way out of the demographic.  

I liked Cruella, but that's not really a remake. It's biggest failing is being tied to 101 Dalmatians because it makes zero sense as a prequel. As a stand alone movie in a vacuum, I thought it was enjoyable and Emma Stone was really quite good in it.

1 hour ago, number305 said:

Are we counting Cruella in the live action versions... cause that was decent.  I think the only other one I have seen was the jungle book - and I only really liked the Christopher Walken part.  I have no desire to see this... but I'm way out of the demographic.  

Cruella, like Maleficent (with Angelina Jolie), is technically a prequel expanding on the original's story rather than a live-action remake of an animated original.

• 5 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
7 minutes ago, ort said:

Disney Live Action remakes are bad and annoying and this one also looks bad and annoying.

The only one that I enjoyed so far was Beauty and the Beast, and that’s probably because it was nearly a shot-for-shot remake of the animated film (which is probably how they should all be, I dunno)

I think the only Disney live-action remakes of their animated classics that critics and audiences both liked were Cinderella, The Jungle Book, and Beauty and the Beast. And while good, are they equal or better than their animated originals? Alice in Wonderland, Dumbo, Aladdin, The Lion King, Lady and the Tramp, Mulan, and Zemeckis's Pinocchio are all pretty bad when compared to their animated counterparts (critics seemed to like Mulan though). I do have some hope for the upcoming Peter Pan & Wendy since that's by David Lowery who did Pete's Dragon (and A Ghost Story, etc.). 

I'm not counting films like Maleficent, Maleficent: Mistress of Evil, Christopher Robin, or Cruella because those aren't direct remakes of a previous Disney animated film. As a result, they have garnered stronger reviews generally it seems - Christopher Robin and Cruella have strong reviews from both critics and audiences. 

2 minutes ago, Keyser_Soze said:

Count them you coward!

Also you left off 101 Dalmatians!

I'm only counting the movies made from the recent mandate to remake Disney animated films into live-action films that started in 2010 with Alice in Wonderland by Tim Burton. We then got Maleficent in 2014 and then Cinderella in 2015 and it's only been many more since then.

14 minutes ago, Greatoneshere said:

I'm only counting the movies made from the recent mandate to remake Disney animated films into live-action films that started in 2010 with Alice in Wonderland by Tim Burton. We then got Maleficent in 2014 and then Cinderella in 2015 and it's only been many more since then.

What if they do a live action version of Simba's Pride? 🤔

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Keyser_Soze said:

They are doing a sequel, but mostly original story I thought I read. Wasn’t a fan of AiW but I enjoyed Through The Looking Glass. I also saw it shortly after my dad passed and Alice’s story was sort of mimicking me at the time. Jungle Book is the only one I can say I enjoyed (good 3D too)

10 minutes ago, Keyser_Soze said:

5 minutes ago, silentbob said:

They are doing a sequel, but mostly original story I thought I read. Wasn’t a fan of AiW but I enjoyed Through The Looking Glass. I also saw it shortly after my dad passed and Alice’s story was sort of mimicking me at the time. Jungle Book is the only one I can say I enjoyed (good 3D too)

After Peter Pan & Wendy, The Lion King prequel, titled "Mufasa: The Lion King" is the only other project I have some hope for because: 1) it's being directed by Barry Jenkins (Moonlight, etc.) and it's an original story they've said and not a remake of The Lion King II: Simba's Pride, obviously since it's a prequel.

I'm a massive Disney fan but I haven't been a huge fan of these live action remakes. Hell I feel asleep during Lion King :lol: Some were okay, but for the most part they've been forgettable and quite unnecessary. Surprisingly the one I actually enjoyed was Mulan, which I didn't expect to like at all and yet the very reason I think I liked it was the reason I expected not to like it, because they changed the story. I'll likely watch this when it hits D+ but I won't go out of my way to see it in the theaters of that I am certain.

12 hours ago, CastlevaniaNut18 said:

Looks pretty good overall. I’ll watch it when it hits D+.

The Little Mermaid is tied with The Lion King for my favorite Disney film. I hope this does it justice. 

Only one of these live action remakes I’ve seen so far was Beauty and the Beast and I liked it decently. But I also love Emma Watson. 

Well, let's hope it is nothing like The Lion King remake. Talk about taking all the magic out of the animated feature...

The thought dawned on me that at some point we will hear 20-somethings talking about favorite Disney movies; one might say Lion King, and we’ll think “yeah I loved Lion King as a kid too”. Another might say Aladdin, and maybe another Emperor’s New Groove. Then at some point in the conversation we’ll realize they’re talking about the “live action” versions. :nervous:

parents are failing an entire generation of kids by making these movies successful. :angry-fap-small:

• Guillotine 1

I dunno, I think people are seeing these movies because of the nostalgia and the familiarity with the original. I don't think they're going to be timeless like the animated versions. I also think with D+ now, these are going to start bombing in the theaters, or at least not hitting the numbers they're expecting.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

349178225_738403918023659_90733547667827

On 4/27/2023 at 2:40 PM, Ghost_MH said:

Well, this is certainly lovely singing...

I don't know if I'll ever watch the film, but I listened to this several times a few days ago, and that justifies the movie existing by itself.

• Like 1