Texas Republicans on blackouts: Liberal politicians, Obama, and free market are to blame!

SpaceX provided generators for heating a facility down near South Padre where sea turtles were at high risk of freezing to death. South Padre is just about the southern most point in Texas. The scale of the storm just in Texas is hard to believe.

Just now, Spawn_of_Apathy said:

I can’t wait to see the look on Greg Abbott’s face when he finds out he has to run for re-election as a Democrat. 

It should read “Democrat Governors”. He’s throwing shade at Cuomo, Newsom, etc. with regard to Covid. Not Abbott and the storm.

2 hours ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:
9d838784-607b-459a-874a-f82a9ec8a03c_114
WWW.KHOU.COM

Ocasio-Cortez organized the fundraiser to benefit five Texas relief organizations that are providing food, water and shelter for Texans in need.

The Texas Senator couldn’t be reached for comment due to vacation. 

56 minutes ago, CitizenVectron said:

She's also on her way to Texas to help distribute aid. Political move? Sure. But about 100x more than Cruz is doing, and I don't think people on the ground will give a shit as long as she is helping people (and I guarantee Beto will be right beside her).

Yeah if her decision to do this is mostly politically motivated, the motivation "I'll help people at large so they'll vote for my party" is basically the best possible incentive mechanism in politics we could hope for; It's what a good political mechanism design would entail.

9 minutes ago, Ricofoley said:

I thought Chris Hayes tied this together nicely last night in his opening monologue. While on the surface the defense of Cruz can be seen as a knee jerk reflex of "us vs. them". It also reveals one of the defining problems of the GOP. You are electing people to govern that don't believe in  governing.

The beginning of the video is a recap of the story, part I am talking about starts at 1:55.....

23 hours ago, sblfilms said:

His furniture store is legit amazing too. You can go in an hour before they close and still get your furniture delivered that same night, even on the opposite side of Houston. And the old guy is up at the front counter WORKING. Half the time if you call the store he still picks up the phone. 

Legend

Wow, but imagine being that big of an asshole customer.

17 hours ago, CitizenVectron said:

She's also on her way to Texas to help distribute aid. Political move? Sure. But about 100x more than Cruz is doing, and I don't think people on the ground will give a shit as long as she is helping people (and I guarantee Beto will be right beside her).

She's gonna be the President some day.

25 minutes ago, cusideabelincoln said:

It infuriates me the number of people claim AOC is *only* doing a political stunt and/or taking a cut of the donated money for herself.

I mean, it is a political stunt... but you know what... it is also actually helping people at the end of the day... so when what makes you look good politically is actually helping people, it makes it a win/win.

There are common plumbing bits and bobs that you can't find anywhere in the state of Texas at the moment. Like, really common stuff. And there are still places that haven't hit the thaw point and will add to the backlog. I'm going to drive to Louisiana later today to grab a bunch of stuff to assist people with repairs. 

26 minutes ago, sblfilms said:

There are common plumbing bits and bobs that you can't find anywhere in the state of Texas at the moment. Like, really common stuff. And there are still places that haven't hit the thaw point and will add to the backlog. I'm going to drive to Louisiana later today to grab a bunch of stuff to assist people with repairs. 

ill be back home in a couple of days, if you need to you could send me a list I can see if could source some stuff local and maybe ship it to you.

31 minutes ago, SuperSpreader said:

I wonder if this makes it so ppl start investing in solar power and batter backups in TX. 

Individuals? As a state, Texas is already #2 in percentage of power generated by solar.

But yeah, I put in an order for the initial stage of my solar farm which will produce around 35,000 kHw per year and have battery back up for 3 normal use days. My cousin has a farm he started developing last year and I’m going to drop some cash into expanding it. I’m going to be a crazy prepper by next weekend at this rate.

Just now, sblfilms said:

Individuals? As a state, Texas is already #2 in percentage of power generated by solar.

But yeah, I put in an order for the initial stage of my solar farm which will produce around 35,000 kHw per year and have battery back up for 3 normal use days. My cousin has a farm he started developing last year and I’m going to drop some cash into expanding it. I’m going to be a crazy prepper by next weekend at this rate.

Yeah individuals. Seems like an opportunity to reduce the risk of this happening again and also get some leverage on the power companies. 

(Also I mistyped batter v battery, we all know Texas has plenty of batter!)

3 minutes ago, SuperSpreader said:

Yeah individuals. Seems like an opportunity to reduce the risk of this happening again and also get some leverage on the power companies. 

(Also I mistyped batter v battery, we all know Texas has plenty of batter!)

The problem though is generally solar systems are grid-tie, which means you actually aren’t using the power from the panels to power your house directly, so in an outage to the grid you don’t have electricity.

Unless you have batteries.

So for this sort of scenario you don’t need solar at all, either battery backup or generator back up. But battery back up is really expensive and generator back up doesn’t help when fuel drys up 😬