Texas Republicans on blackouts: Liberal politicians, Obama, and free market are to blame!

18 minutes ago, b_m_b_m_b_m said:

That mixer probably doesn't consume any phantom energy - it looks like it's a 100% AC device.  Stuff that uses a transformer (wall warts) or ac/dc converters, like your phone charger, will consume small amounts of power while plugged in though.

5 minutes ago, mclumber1 said:

That mixer probably doesn't consume any phantom energy - it looks like it's a 100% AC device.  Stuff that uses a transformer (wall warts) or ac/dc converters, like your phone charger, will consume small amounts of power while plugged in though.

Hey, don't let something like science and basic electrical knowledge get in the way of the Texas thought process. 

18 minutes ago, mclumber1 said:

Not that it's news to anyone here but it's insane that they chose a stand mixer and not electronic devices (like tvs) that just go into standby mode instead of powering down.

I think these guys might not be the smartest

40 minutes ago, Jason said:

This is because the issue is actually gas supplies. Turns out gas power plants and municipal gas facilities need the gas flowing out of the ground when they have relatively small onsite storage. Cities and counties will also need to invest in storage facilities and move away from JIT. It’s also the source of the rolling blackouts happening in other states as they can’t get gas deliveries.

3 hours ago, Keyser_Soze said:

I don't know how many Stephen King tweets you've seen or if that's your first one. He slams the GOP and he was particularly not font of Trump. That tweet was along those lines. 100% sarcasm.

It’s not sarcasm. That word doesn’t mean what you think it means.

Categorically false (aka a lie). While there is some efficiency loss in extremely cold conditions, lithium batteries (which are likely used) self-warm as they are drawn on. Even in the most extreme conditions (-45C) the loss of efficiency is nowhere near 60%. In fact, lithium batteries charge more efficiently at -20C than they do at +30C, and discharge more efficiently at 0C than they do at 30C. So if they are in areas that are right around (or just below) freezing, they are probably running more smoothly than in the summer.

2 minutes ago, b_m_b_m_b_m said:

Love the twitter journalism on this lmao

Thanks, as well. Ain't no way did I want to share anything unless it was actually what happened. :p 

I don't even know who this guy is on Twitter, but him saying, "Yeah, it seemed like a conspiracy, even as Shuster 'confirmed' it," was exactly what went through my mind. "Okay, he "confirmed" it, but he could be jumping the gun. I'm sure some reporters are looking into it."