Texas Republicans on blackouts: Liberal politicians, Obama, and free market are to blame!

1 minute ago, CitizenVectron said:

Just checked my power bill for last month, and I used 492 kWh for a cost of $101.06. This also includes a carbon tax (which is refunded at the end of the year from the government):

Days: 28

Electricity: $92.79 (base $22.79)

Municipal charge: $9.60

Economic Recovery Rebate: -$9.28

GST: $4.64

Carbon Tax: $3.15

Carbon Tax GST: $0.16

So the actual cost per kWh is $0.14228 ($0.11 USD)

Mine all in is about 10.7 cents/kWh

But I’m going to drop the $$$ and build a solar farm with battery back up to power my house cause I’m never going to rely on anybody else for my electricity needs moving forward

52 minutes ago, sblfilms said:

But I’m going to drop the $$$ and build a solar farm with battery back up to power my house cause I’m never going to rely on anybody else for my electricity needs moving forward

Then you need to live in a trailer at your drive-in. I say this because that would make a good Left 4 Dead location.

2 minutes ago, CitizenVectron said:

Then you need to live in a trailer at your drive-in. I say this because that would make a good Left 4 Dead location.

We actually have a trailer at one of the drive ins!

1 hour ago, sblfilms said:

My wife and I have been contemplating for the last year or so on where we want to move to, staying in California seems like a pipe dream. One of our possible choices is Texas and I asked my wife yesterday if she was ready for the occasional freeze. she wasn't sure lol, and I told her whatever we buy in Texas, we'd have to set up solar panels and have some sort of back generator on stand by.

The local bank is limiting all transactions to $200 today as they are having connection issues to their servers in Texas. People here are pissed as if you need to make a larger deposit or purchase you need to visit the bank in person. Seems like larger transactions aren't a given if you visit in person, it is up to the manager on duty if you get clearance to do so. The bitching about town is pretty epic at the moment. 

1 hour ago, Joestradamus said:

My wife and I have been contemplating for the last year or so on where we want to move to, staying in California seems like a pipe dream. One of our possible choices is Texas and I asked my wife yesterday if she was ready for the occasional freeze. she wasn't sure lol, and I told her whatever we buy in Texas, we'd have to set up solar panels and have some sort of back generator on stand by.

Houston, Austin, and San Antonio are all far enough south that freezes are an annual occurrence but typically only a day or two per year. Dallas gets more freezes.

Solar plus batteries very competitive if you plan to stay in the house more than a decade.

Just now, CitizenVectron said:

The insurance payouts are going to be staggering.

On my street I’m the only house with no busted pipes, and that’s because when I gutted the house I re-piped everything with Pex and insulated the attic by spray foaming the roof decking. 

All the hardware stores are wiped out of plumbing supplies for water lines, and more than half the city still hasn’t thawed out to reveal the damage. That should happen Thursday afternoon and it’s gonna be ugly.

23 minutes ago, sblfilms said:

On my street I’m the only house with no busted pipes, and that’s because when I gutted the house I re-piped everything with Pex and insulated the attic by spray foaming the roof decking. 

All the hardware stores are wiped out of plumbing supplies for water lines, and more than half the city still hasn’t thawed out to reveal the damage. That should happen Thursday afternoon and it’s gonna be ugly.

Help is on the way in the form of unregulated plumbers!  I actually had to check to see if this was real, and it is, lol.

• Confused 1

21 minutes ago, sblfilms said:

Dumb question... do hardware stores near you sell stuff like ice melt / salt, snow shovels, etc.? Could you buy winter tires locally if you wanted to?

I assume you know this, but pex can burst when it’s frozen too, and even if it doesn’t, it loses some of its integrity when it freezes / thaws repeatedly. More relevant up here than by you usually, but I know some New Englanders who assumed pex meant they didn’t need to insulate and it was an expensive mistake.

48 minutes ago, PaladinSolo said:

Help is on the way in the form of unregulated plumbers!  I actually had to check to see if this was real, and it is, lol.

The Texas legislature forgot to pass the plumbers licensing reauthorization a couple of sessions ago so we had no regulation of plumbers for a couple of years 😂

47 minutes ago, Kal-El814 said:

Dumb question... do hardware stores near you sell stuff like ice melt / salt, snow shovels, etc.? Could you buy winter tires locally if you wanted to?

I assume you know this, but pex can burst when it’s frozen too, and even if it doesn’t, it loses some of its integrity when it freezes / thaws repeatedly. More relevant up here than by you usually, but I know some New Englanders who assumed pex meant they didn’t need to insulate and it was an expensive mistake.

None of that would be on shelves down here typically.

Oh, yeah, it’s not meant to freeze/thaw over and over :p Just way less likely in a place that is typically below freezing for literally less than 24 hours a year!

1 hour ago, Air_Delivery said:

I'm looking at buying a portable generator due to this. While this shit has never happened in San Diego with climate change its probably a good idea to prepare. I'm already a bit of a prepper but it might be time to take it to the next level.

I feel like we have far bigger problems than whether you have a portable generator if these temperatures start happening in SoCal.

12 minutes ago, Air_Delivery said:

Freak occurrences have happened.

8 minutes ago, sblfilms said:

And climate change will make them more frequent and extreme

Yup but to @Air_Delivery, it has gone this low in Houston before, although it's obviously only happened a handful of times and the last time was a long time ago. Meanwhile the record low in San Diego is 25 and the record low in Los Angeles is 28. Quite a big difference between slightly below freezing and near-zero in terms of the problems it causes.

Things are designed around the local climate and since we aren’t like Japan where they knock buildings down and rebuild them like every 20 years, there are tons of buildings and infrastructure not engineered around the wider tolerances needed for our changing climates. Will be...interesting 😬

32 minutes ago, sblfilms said:

Things are designed around the local climate and since we aren’t like Japan where they knock buildings down and rebuild them like every 20 years, there are tons of buildings and infrastructure not engineered around the wider tolerances needed for our changing climates. Will be...interesting 😬

Well yeah obviously bad shit can happen anywhere but the shit going down in Texas is pure negligence. They knew they needed to winterize their power and didn't in the name of profits. 

32 minutes ago, Air_Delivery said:

Well yeah obviously bad shit can happen anywhere but the shit going down in Texas is pure negligence. They knew they needed to winterize their power and didn't in the name of profits. 

It’s not the plants or transmission lines though, it’s the wells that provide fuel. And it’s actually what is causing the shortfalls in the eastern interconnect which also uses natural gas from the Permian both for power plant fuel and direct burning in homes, and supply out of there is anemic at the moment.

Fortunately Houston warmed up enough to start pumping out of tanks in the region allowing both power plants and muni gas delivery to begin catching up.

Can I just bring up one nice thing?

Texas asked Biden to declare a federal emergency so they could receive  federal relief.  And Biden approved the plea for federal relief as soon as he could.

He didn't tell Texas to buzz off because it didn't voted for him, he didn't rant that the red governor runs things horribly, he didn't fume that the state's lawsuit to try and overturn the election was being mean to him and hurt his feelings, and he did it without telling Texans who don't like him to just shovel the snow.  He just approved it, and that was that.

It's things like this that we really took for granted until Trump showed up.