Loki Trailer and Discussion Thread (Update: Series premiers on June 9th)

1 hour ago, Remarkableriots said:

OMG so many AWESOME easter eggs in this episode!

POLYBIUS!

Great episode. It will be interesting to see where the Loki character goes after this. A Loki that isn't a mischievous scamp? A more reliable, hero Loki? It could backfire but (perhaps due to Hiddleston's indelible charm) it's still hard not to find him likeable. Hopefully he doesn't just become a boring, less capable magic-wielder relative to Dr. Strange and Wanda.

It’s interesting that WandaVision and now Loki even more so have waited so long to show their hand. I’ll wait until the end of the run to see how it shakes  out.

Also Richard E. Grant absolutely slayed in this episode. Not surprising at all, but he really made the most of his screen time especially since 60% of it was just posing and screaming :p

1 hour ago, Kal-El814 said:

It’s interesting that WandaVision and now Loki even more so have waited so long to show their hand. I’ll wait until the end of the run to see how it shakes  out.

speaking of the two shows, did anyone notice they had almost the same shots in them with Vision getting disintegrated in front of Wanda and Loki getting disintegrated in front of Sylvie? 

Great episode and Grant should hopefully get an award nod come Emmy season. Wasn’t much time but fuck did ever deliver a performance. Loved the easter eggs and  nods sprinkled throughout the land and I have a feeling they might actually stick the landing. If they don’t, well, that I guess is what a true Loki would do right there

On 7/1/2021 at 7:08 PM, skillzdadirecta said:

Yes it is based on a real Norse Myth. It results in two sets of dwarves being takes to out do each other. Sif is given new even more beautiful hair(still golden though). This is also when Thor gets his hammer in the myths. Odin gets his spear I think? I forget what else. But the hair and the hammer are big ones I remember from that myth. 

People, if you haven’t seen The Simpson’s short The Good, The Bart and The Loki. You should should probably give it a viewing as Tom plays Loki, and they even did a mid and end credit scene (well, before the international credits roll) for the 5min short. 

2 hours ago, silentbob said:

People, if you haven’t seen The Simpson’s short The Good, The Bart and The Loki. You should should probably give it a viewing as Tom plays Loki, and they even did a mid and end credit scene (well, before the international credits roll) for the 5min short. 

I laughed quite a bit in those 5 minutes. It was great!

Across WandaVision, Falcon and The Winter Soldier, and Loki… we have what, a 15 hour setup to the next MCU phase? It’s wild that what they used to accomplish in post credits scenes has now taken up three miniseries.

For Loki (the show) specifically, in hindsight those middle two episodes feel like wasted time given where we ended up, as the finale’s pacing felt super bad to me. So much time spent on things the characters were doing in the TVA that ultimately meant nothing. I don’t mind that within the context of the show overall, since that’s the hook. But why spend that time with Mobious / Renslayer, Hunter B 20 / the other hunters during the finale if it’s all going to be wiped?

The whole “I paved the way for everything, oh shoot we just passed a threshold, YOLO,” felt bad? It seems impossible that someone who planned everything to that point could possibly expect that scenario to end any way other than it did. How that conflict ended is the least surprising part of the entire show. Lampshading that for the first time, Loki and Sylvie have free will doesn’t work when they behave exactly the way we’d expect and how they’ve been groomed to behave. 

In hindsight, I think the show’s largest issue is that it somewhat consistently didn’t follow up on its own setups and kept kneecapping its own stakes. “Oh shoot Sylvie carpet bombed the sacred timeline! … I guess that didn’t matter and apparently had no impact on anything.” “Oh shit Loki got pruned! … No he’s fine.” “Why aren’t we seeing things the same way?” Uh when did they??? Why did Miss Minutes offer Loki and Sylvie something that Kang must have known they wouldn’t accept if he was just going to end up talking to them anyway? We already knew the Lokis wouldn’t take that offer.

And… why not name drop Kang? Anyone who’s interested enough to follow MCU casting knows the casting. I guess it’s obvious enough to anyone that cares enough, but it still feels weird.

The end of WandaVision didn’t land in broad strokes, but it establishes Wanda as the Scarlet Witch for reals. Falcon and The Winter Solider was sloppy but at the end of it, we know that Sam is Cap, that Bucky has moved on, that USAgent is a thing. At the end of Loki… we know Loki has grown and that’s not insignificant, but… I don’t know that it’s enough? Especially when Kang has said that eventually, some version of him will end the multiversal war again?

As a 6 hour “getting to know you” for Loki, it’s a fun romp and somewhat jankily paced. But in terms of setting the stage for the next MCU phase it feels like a needlessly long introduction to Kang and the concept of the multiverse. 

Hiddleston and Di Martino carry this show, it absolutely wouldn’t have worked without them acting their asses off. I just wish the show was as clever as it seemed to think it was, and ironically made better use of its time.

• Guillotine 2

3 hours ago, Kal-El814 said:

Across WandaVision, Falcon and The Winter Soldier, and Loki… we have what, a 15 hour setup to the next MCU phase? It’s wild that what they used to accomplish in post credits scenes has now taken up three miniseries.

For Loki (the show) specifically, in hindsight those middle two episodes feel like wasted time given where we ended up, as the finale’s pacing felt super bad to me. So much time spent on things the characters were doing in the TVA that ultimately meant nothing. I don’t mind that within the context of the show overall, since that’s the hook. But why spend that time with Mobious / Renslayer, Hunter B 20 / the other hunters during the finale if it’s all going to be wiped?

The whole “I paved the way for everything, oh shoot we just passed a threshold, YOLO,” felt bad? It seems impossible that someone who planned everything to that point could possibly expect that scenario to end any way other than it did. How that conflict ended is the least surprising part of the entire show. Lampshading that for the first time, Loki and Sylvie have free will doesn’t work when they behave exactly the way we’d expect and how they’ve been groomed to behave. 

In hindsight, I think the show’s largest issue is that it somewhat consistently didn’t follow up on its own setups and kept kneecapping its own stakes. “Oh shoot Sylvie carpet bombed the sacred timeline! … I guess that didn’t matter and apparently had no impact on anything.” “Oh shit Loki got pruned! … No he’s fine.” “Why aren’t we seeing things the same way?” Uh when did they??? Why did Miss Minutes offer Loki and Sylvie something that Kang must have known they wouldn’t accept if he was just going to end up talking to them anyway? We already knew the Lokis wouldn’t take that offer.

And… why not name drop Kang? Anyone who’s interested enough to follow MCU casting knows the casting. I guess it’s obvious enough to anyone that cares enough, but it still feels weird.

The end of WandaVision didn’t land in broad strokes, but it establishes Wanda as the Scarlet Witch for reals. Falcon and The Winter Solider was sloppy but at the end of it, we know that Sam is Cap, that Bucky has moved on, that USAgent is a thing. At the end of Loki… we know Loki has grown and that’s not insignificant, but… I don’t know that it’s enough? Especially when Kang has said that eventually, some version of him will end the multiversal war again?

As a 6 hour “getting to know you” for Loki, it’s a fun romp and somewhat jankily paced. But in terms of setting the stage for the next MCU phase it feels like a needlessly long introduction to Kang and the concept of the multiverse. 

Hiddleston and Di Martino carry this show, it absolutely wouldn’t have worked without them acting their asses off. I just wish the show was as clever as it seemed to think it was, and ironically made better use of its time.

The time spent with Mobius was well spent. I'll disagree with that one. It gave the end scene a bit more impact than it would have otherwise. That said, pacing in the last episode was wildly off. It definitely could have used a bit more time. It also annoyed me that Loki NEVER suggested Sylvie attempt to enchant Kang to find out if he was telling the truth or not. It would have taken all of five seconds, especially since he's just human and they literally just charmed a reality devouring monster.

As far as Kang setting things up, I don't think this incarnation of Kang cared anymore. It doesn't seem like he was quite as motivated as his more conquer-y variants.

I'm not a huge fan of where this one ended. We'll see Kang again in, what? Ant-Man in 2023? Wandavision and Falcon had much cleaner endings. I mean, yes, that's obvious since they won't be getting second seasons, but that still doesn't really absolve such a weak ending. I think things would have worked a little better with one additional episode introducing us to this Kang. We know this TVA is clearly lead by Kang, himself, but we don't know whether this Kang is benevolent or not. That's kind of a shitty cliffhanger to hold over us until, very likely, after the next Ant Man.

Now, what are the next series coming up this year and next? Ms Marvel, She Hulk, Hawkeye, Ironheart, Armor Wars, Secret Invasion, Moon Knight, Echo, and that Wakanda series. I think that's all of them. Yeah, season 2 is likely far away unless something gets moved.

25 minutes ago, Ghost_MH said:

The time spent with Mobius was well spent. I'll disagree with that one. It gave the end scene a bit more impact than it would have otherwise. That said, pacing in the last episode was wildly off. It definitely could have used a bit more time. It also annoyed me that Loki NEVER suggested Sylvie attempt to enchant Kang to find out if he was telling the truth or not. It would have taken all of five seconds, especially since he's just human and they literally just charmed a reality devouring monster.

As far as Kang setting things up, I don't think this incarnation of Kang cared anymore. It doesn't seem like he was quite as motivated as his more conquer-y variants.

I'm not a huge fan of where this one ended. We'll see Kang again in, what? Ant-Man in 2023? Wandavision and Falcon had much cleaner endings. I mean, yes, that's obvious since they won't be getting second seasons, but that still doesn't really absolve such a weak ending. I think things would have worked a little better with one additional episode introducing us to this Kang. We know this TVA is clearly lead by Kang, himself, but we don't know whether this Kang is benevolent or not. That's kind of a shitty cliffhanger to hold over us until, very likely, after the next Ant Man.

Now, what are the next series coming up this year and next? Ms Marvel, She Hulk, Hawkeye, Ironheart, Armor Wars, Secret Invasion, Moon Knight, Echo, and that Wakanda series. I think that's all of them. Yeah, season 2 is likely far away unless something gets moved.

Yeah, that’s all fair.

I go back and forth on Mobius. There’s just too much left to subtext with him and Renslayer given that we’ve got almost 5 hours of TV to work with. Him turning the TVA onto their true origins feels like wasted time when it all gets wiped. I think the reveal that he forgot who Loki was would have been punchier if the last scene with him was saying goodbye to Loki as a friend. I get it, it just feels like it’s there to fool the audience, but the time could be better spent, I think.

I think the biggest difference between the stingers in MCU movies and how this ended is that… none of the other cliffhangers really changed the status quo. You get some Thanos teases, some hero / villain teases, etc. But this… Is Loki in another timeline? Another universe? The desk drawer with a shitload of infinity stones suggested to me that there was a single TVA that clipped multiple timelines / multiverses. Mobius not knowing Loki at the end is super ambiguous. Mobius told us that time works differently in the TVA, but we never learn what that means. Mobius and Renslayer apparently knew one another for “eons” but we don’t know if that’s true or just manipulation by Kang… and it’s odd that neither one of them really seem curious about that once they know they’ve been deceived about some things. Where did Renslayer go? Why would we assume that she’s not scattered to the multiversal wind, like Loki was?

I feel like we got through a 5 hour movie and were never clear on what the reality or the stakes actually were for the MCU. Normally I care much more about the individual character stuff which I think they did well for “our” Loki, but the show REALLY wants us to care about the bigger picture and I think the finale just deflated the whole balloon.

8 minutes ago, Kal-El814 said:

Yeah, that’s all fair.

I go back and forth on Mobius. There’s just too much left to subtext with him and Renslayer given that we’ve got almost 5 hours of TV to work with. Him turning the TVA onto their true origins feels like wasted time when it all gets wiped. I think the reveal that he forgot who Loki was would have been punchier if the last scene with him was saying goodbye to Loki as a friend. I get it, it just feels like it’s there to fool the audience, but the time could be better spent, I think.

I think the biggest difference between the stingers in MCU movies and how this ended is that… none of the other cliffhangers really changed the status quo. You get some Thanos teases, some hero / villain teases, etc. But this… Is Loki in another timeline? Another universe? The desk drawer with a shitload of infinity stones suggested to me that there was a single TVA that clipped multiple timelines / multiverses. Mobius not knowing Loki at the end is super ambiguous. Mobius told us that time works differently in the TVA, but we never learn what that means. Mobius and Renslayer apparently knew one another for “eons” but we don’t know if that’s true or just manipulation by Kang… and it’s odd that neither one of them really seem curious about that once they know they’ve been deceived about some things. Where did Renslayer go? Why would we assume that she’s not scattered to the multiversal wind, like Loki was?

I feel like we got through a 5 hour movie and were never clear on what the reality or the stakes actually were for the MCU. Normally I care much more about the individual character stuff which I think they did well for “our” Loki, but the show REALLY wants us to care about the bigger picture and I think the finale just deflated the whole balloon.

The thing with MCU stingers, even then, is that the only major one we got came with a very clear date to continue on. Infinity Wars and End Game were clearly labeled as a year apart, so it was clear when we'd get a resolution. Also, there was only a single hanging thread left. Sure, the single thing was the death of half of everyone, but that's a lot easier to keep track of a year later than "Where is Loki?", "Where is Silvie?", "Where did Renslayer go?", "Who is this Kang?", and "What happens to Alioth when it isn't constantly getting fed new pruned timelines?". Therr are too many hanging threads that we're all going to forget by the time a season 2 comes along in late 2022 or 2023. That's what leaves things getting unsatisfied. 

As far as TVA time goes, I had assumed they exist in some void dimension outside of time. Events happen one after the other, but time doesn't really move forward for any of them. In that way they could totally be immortal while there, but not really because they aren't really experiencing time. If that is what's going on, good luck ever getting an explanation in the series, because that's a weird concept to wrap your head around.

18 minutes ago, Kal-El814 said:

I feel like this show pretty significantly changed the status quo. Unless I'm mistaken, prior to this show there was basically a single universe, but now all the other timelines and universes are allowed to exist, and likely to interact with each other. I don't know if Multiverse of Madness will rely on anything established in Loki, but it seems plausible.

I agree with you on the time spent with Mobius and Renslayer and the TVA in general. It's super unclear what exactly happened and if they were wiped, if a bunch of TVAs now exist, or what. I don't need all the secrets explained, but I do want an emotionally satisfying moment if not an actual ending or explanation.