Loki Trailer and Discussion Thread (Update: Series premiers on June 9th)

Just finished episode 2.

Female Loki revealed! I think her motives are to destroy the TVA and save Asgard (or at least a version of it). I think she takes issue with them approving the destruction of it, and only one timeline (one truth) that it must be destroyed. I get the impression that's what they hinted at with Loki's reaction to seeing the file on Ragnarok. Our Loki could deal with it, female Loki cannot.

On 6/16/2021 at 10:30 PM, Kal-El814 said:

Man they're really just forgetting all the Netflix shows even existed, huh.

Remember that scene at the end of the last season of Iron Fist? I don't remember it either, but I'm pretty sure that's because the TVA bombed that timeline out of existence.

• Haha 1

My thoughts:

-I thought the first two seasons of Daredevil were pretty great for the most part (I haven't seen season 3)

-Jessica Jones season 1 was great but too long; season 2 was boring and too long (I haven't seen season 3)

-Luke Cage season 1 was pretty awesome (particularly the first 8 episodes with Mahershala Ali) but I haven't seen season 2

-Iron Fist was just . . . weird. Bad, weird, and boring. I haven't seen season 2 of it though

-The Punisher surprised me as I really enjoyed season 1 a lot ultimately. I haven't seen season 2

-The Defenders was okay. There were cool parts but it never really came together like it should have

-Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. was bad. It was slowly getting better but I gave up after season 4 I think. Heard it got better but it was too many episodes a season for not being great. I see it ultimately lasted 7 seasons though

-Agent Carter was fun but pretty low key and ultimately forgettable. I don't even remember if I saw season 2, I think I did. James Darcy was great in it though

-Inhumans I did not see. It got cancelled after 8 episodes and now we're doing The Eternals instead and inhumans were also in Agents of SHIELD so not sure what's up there

-Runaways I want to see, I just never got around to it. I still may someday, I see it ended after 3 seasons

-Cloak & Dagger I've never seen, but I heard it was good? I see that ended after 2 seasons

Now Marvel is solely on Disney+ starting with WandaVision. I think all of these shows are non-cannon probably at this point, particularly since in Loki they don't tell Loki that Phil Coulson is alive, and Coulson never crosses over or is mentioned in MCU movies despite having been so important, and they came up with the lamest excuses on Agents of SHIELD for why he couldn't go ever meet or see Tony Stark or Captain America, etc. So my take is that at the time they were canon, barely so, but now they definitely aren't most likely, especially since none of these shows affected the movies (and short films) in any way at all. The Disney+ shows definitely do, they are an integral part of the MCU. 

The fact Mahershala Ali is playing Blade for the MCU despite playing Cottonmouth in Luke Cage is proof of it. Marvel hates casting roles in another MCU thing if they've already played someone else in the MCU, Marvel is big on that (they even hate recasting roles, but they will like with Hulk and War Machine). 

3 minutes ago, Greatoneshere said:

My thoughts:

-I thought the first two seasons of Daredevil were pretty great for the most part (I haven't seen season 3)

-Jessica Jones season 1 was great but too long; season 2 was boring and too long (I haven't seen season 3)

-Luke Cage season 1 was pretty awesome (particularly the first 8 episodes with Mahershala Ali) but I haven't seen season 2

-Iron Fist was just . . . weird. Bad, weird, and boring. I haven't seen season 2 of it though

-The Punisher surprised me as I really enjoyed season 1 a lot ultimately. I haven't seen season 2

-The Defenders was okay. There were cool parts but it never really came together like it should have

-Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. was bad. It was slowly getting better but I gave up after season 4 I think. Heard it got better but it was too many episodes a season for not being great

-Agent Carter was fun but pretty low key and ultimately forgettable. I don't even remember if I saw season 2, I think I did. James Darcy was great in it though

-Inhumans I did not see. It got cancelled after 8 episodes and now we're doing The Eternals instead and inhumans were also in Agents of SHIELD so not sure what's up there

-Runaways I want to see, I just never got around to it. I still may someday, I see it ended after 3 seasons

-Cloak & Dagger I've never seen, but I heard it was good? I see that ended after 2 seasons

Now Marvel is solely on Disney+ starting with WandaVision. I think all of these shows are non-cannon probably at this point, particularly since in Loki they don't tell Loki that Phil Coulson is alive, and Coulson never crosses over or is mentioned in MCU movies despite having been so important, and they came up with the lamest excuses on Agents of SHIELD for why he couldn't go ever meet or see Tony Stark or Captain America, etc. So my take is that at the time they were canon, barely so, but now they definitely aren't most likely.

Where is the best Marvel show in this evaluation?!?

MV5BNmYxMjM5MzMtNTczZC00MGM3LTk2MTQtZmNmMTg4ZDI4ZTkxXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMzQ2MDI5NjU@._V1_.jpg

4 minutes ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

Where is the best Marvel show in this evaluation?!?

MV5BNmYxMjM5MzMtNTczZC00MGM3LTk2MTQtZmNmMTg4ZDI4ZTkxXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMzQ2MDI5NjU@._V1_.jpg

Legion was made when X-Men was under Fox, so I didn't count it. It is indeed an excellent show, I loved it. The shows I listed were all made under the Marvel/MCU label under different sub-names like "Marvel's young adult TV series" were Runaways and Cloak & Dagger. Then there was Marvel's Netflix series and Marvel's ABC TV series.

28 minutes ago, Greatoneshere said:

My thoughts:

-Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. was bad. It was slowly getting better but I gave up after season 4 I think. Heard it got better but it was too many episodes a season for not being great. I see it ultimately lasted 7 seasons though

Now Marvel is solely on Disney+ starting with WandaVision. I think all of these shows are non-cannon probably at this point, particularly since in Loki they don't tell Loki that Phil Coulson is alive, and Coulson never crosses over or is mentioned in MCU movies despite having been so important, and they came up with the lamest excuses on Agents of SHIELD for why he couldn't go ever meet or see Tony Stark or Captain America, etc. So my take is that at the time they were canon, barely so, but now they definitely aren't most likely, especially since none of these shows affected the movies (and short films) in any way at all. The Disney+ shows definitely do, they are an integral part of the MCU. 

The fact Mahershala Ali is playing Blade for the MCU despite playing Cottonmouth in Luke Cage is proof of it. Marvel hates casting roles in another MCU thing if they've already played someone else in the MCU, Marvel is big on that (they even hate recasting roles, but they will like with Hulk and War Machine). 

Here's my take...

Daredevil - Strong start, weak and racist finish.

Jessica Jones - Would have been better if Netflix has realized they could just make seasons shorter. Season 2? I don't believe you.

Luke Cage - if you only have Mahershala Ali contracted for like 8 episodes then you make an 8 episode season. There was more after the first season? Shut up.

Iron Fist - I don't know what this is and you can't make me remember.

The Punisher - Not bad, but holy shit Netflix. Every season doesn't have to be so long.

Defenders - Thank you for finally realizing you can make a short season. I'm sure it only happened because their editors were threatening to kill themselves.

Agents of SHIELD - Slow start, but great middle. Once they realize that Marvel had left them out to dry they did their own thing. That sometimes worked phenomenally. It sometimes didn't.

Agent Carter - Good, but also too long. Entirely forgettable.

Inhumans - This never happened. It's a fever dream that you think it did.

Runaways - Fantastic up until they ran away. It kind of lost itself in CW melodrama one that happened.

Cloak & Dagger - The only one I haven't actually seen a single episode of. Casting looked good...I guess.

Legion - Absolutely a fever dream of the best  kind. I can honestly barely remember any of it, but I think that was from the contact high.

• Haha 1

Okay, I wasn't going to be a diva, but is NO ONE ELSE going to acknowledge that I happened to mention ancient Rome and 2050 and they both specifically happened in the next episode? It's very deflating to have that ignored, and I have a fragile ego.

• Sad 1
  • Haha 3

On 6/10/2021 at 5:18 AM, Fizzzzle said:

I think if anything it won't happen because I'm pretty sure Scarlett Johansson's contract is up after Black Widow.:p

Overall, I'm super down for Loki so far. Tom Hiddleston is so great as that character, and I love the idea of hopping around different time periods, like one episode having a set piece in ancient Rome or something and the next episode having a set piece in 2050 or something. At least I hope they take it that far, that would be dope.

You really called that one.

giphy.webp?cid=6c09b952c3e7364260c04db90

• Thanks 1

On 6/16/2021 at 7:30 PM, Kal-El814 said:

Man they're really just forgetting all the Netflix shows even existed, huh.

Wasn't there some bullshit personality conflict between Feige and whoever the guy at Disney was who was in charge of making the deal with Netflix that drove the shows not really connecting into the MCU beyond a few vague references to stuff like the city getting beaten to shit in Avengers 1? Like Feige wouldn't let the guy do better tie-ins, or the other guy didn't want to because he hated Feige, or something like that?

7 hours ago, Jason said:

Wasn't there some bullshit personality conflict between Feige and whoever the guy at Disney was who was in charge of making the deal with Netflix that drove the shows not really connecting into the MCU beyond a few vague references to stuff like the city getting beaten to shit in Avengers 1? Like Feige wouldn't let the guy do better tie-ins, or the other guy didn't want to because he hated Feige, or something like that?

You're talking about "nobody cares about Asian people" Jeph Loeb.

8 hours ago, Jason said:

1 hour ago, Ghost_MH said:

You're talking about "nobody cares about Asian people" Jeph Loeb.

It was Ike Perlmutter I believe. He hates Feige and was head of Marvbel TV before Feige took that over too (he lost the Marvel film unit to Feige in 2015). So he was forced to produce these Marvel shows on Netflix and ABC that tie into Feige's movies, which he was angry about. So he tried to diminish the entire enterprise of the two connecting is how I remember it.

isaac-perlmutter-disney-marvel.jpg?w=100
VARIETY.COM

Disney’s largest shareholder, Ike Perlmutter, loses power in his ongoing turf war with top film exec Kevin Feige.

Today's episode, while still good, definitely felt like a bridge episode and needed to give us some insight of female Loki. Also confirmed some suspicions I had about the TVA that I'm not curious to see how they play out. The last action sequence was great! Movie quality stuff right there.

The next two episodes are gonna be bonkers. Either the TVA is gonna show to "rescue/capture" them or the pad Loki showed broken was an illusion and he still has the real one. But their way to power it just exploded so... :thinking:

Loki seems to be very selective about when he shoots magic at someone vs. punching them. I'm glad we got some insight into Sylvie. The interdimensional things still don't really make sense, though. She's on the run because she's a variant? Is it because Loki was supposed to be born a boy? If so, how did she manage to grow to be an adult?

I'm guessing they're just kind of going to say "the TVA meant for all of this to happen" and be done with it.

1 hour ago, Fizzzzle said:

I'm guessing they're just kind of going to say "the TVA meant for all of this to happen" and be done with it.

I don’t think that can be it given that the TVA being what they say / think they are seems really unlikely at this point. 

1 hour ago, Fizzzzle said:

Loki seems to be very selective about when he shoots magic at someone vs. punching them. I'm glad we got some insight into Sylvie. The interdimensional things still don't really make sense, though. She's on the run because she's a variant? Is it because Loki was supposed to be born a boy? If so, how did she manage to grow to be an adult?

her being female likely has nothing to do with it. I'd say she's a variant for the simple fact that she isn't the Loki from what the time keepers consider the prime timeline 

18 minutes ago, EternallDarkness said:

her being female likely has nothing to do with it. I'd say she's a variant for the simple fact that she isn't the Loki from what the time keepers consider the prime timeline 

I'm wondering HOW OLD she really is and if she is old enough to of been born during the last timeline split. We know it has happen before and Thor is thousands of years old and would assume, so is Loki. She emphasized that she has been working on this for a very long time. So was she born before the last timeline split? Was she one of the first TVA variants plucked to help run thing? She found out the truth of the TVA, saw her Loki tape, like ours, and now blames the Time Lords for destroying probably her entire existence? When our Loki was talking about his mom, she plays it off as nothing but she did seem to show some emotion to it. Almost seems like she is hoping to bring them back by creating the timeline splits from which she originally came from.

Also holy shit on the bass. Was watching this with my XBox Wireless headset, even after adjusting the equalizer it was powerful. Seems like I should fire up a few scenes to give my Atmos speakers a go but can’t with the new puppy (plus I wanna see Godzilla Vs Kong 3D)

7 hours ago, silentbob said:

I'm wondering HOW OLD she really is and if she is old enough to of been born during the last timeline split. We know it has happen before and Thor is thousands of years old and would assume, so is Loki. She emphasized that she has been working on this for a very long time. So was she born before the last timeline split? Was she one of the first TVA variants plucked to help run thing? She found out the truth of the TVA, saw her Loki tape, like ours, and now blames the Time Lords for destroying probably her entire existence? When our Loki was talking about his mom, she plays it off as nothing but she did seem to show some emotion to it. Almost seems like she is hoping to bring them back by creating the timeline splits from which she originally came from.

Also holy shit on the bass. Was watching this with my XBox Wireless headset, even after adjusting the equalizer it was powerful. Seems like I should fire up a few scenes to give my Atmos speakers a go but can’t with the new puppy (plus I wanna see Godzilla Vs Kong 3D)

I've been wondering the same question about how female Loki grew to adulthood, but discussing it with a co-worker we came to a similar conclusion that you have here. It's very likely she was around before the merging of the timelines, and has been hiding in the apocalypses since.