Loki Trailer and Discussion Thread (Update: Series premiers on June 9th)

As a side note, last night I finally finished Death's End, the third book in the Three Body Problem trilogy, and the ideas explored in that the series has some real parallels here.

Some general spoilers for the second book:

The second book is called The Dark Forest, a term that the author uses to define the state of the universe and why we haven't found signs of intelligent life. The core premise is that survival is the ultimate goal of any civilization. Over a long enough timeline, any civilization could potentially become a threat to your own survival, therefore the most reasonable way for a sufficiently advanced civilization to act is to destroy any other civilizations they detect. Also, because a more advanced civilization than yours almost certainly exists, your best hope to not be culled by someone more powerful is to hide your own existence. So the universe exists as a sort of dark forest, where everyone is both potential predator and prey, trying to not to give away their position less they become the latter.

While The Dark Forest is an attempt to describe a single universe, that first part seems like what He Who Remains basically describes as the end state between universes. Essentially, given enough actors, eventually you end up with total destruction. His pruning the timeline as soon as it branches is basically the same as a powerful civilization destroying a lesser one before it can become a threat.

32 minutes ago, TwinIon said:

I feel like this show pretty significantly changed the status quo. Unless I'm mistaken, prior to this show there was basically a single universe, but now all the other timelines and universes are allowed to exist, and likely to interact with each other. I don't know if Multiverse of Madness will rely on anything established in Loki, but it seems plausible.

I agree with you on the time spent with Mobius and Renslayer and the TVA in general. It's super unclear what exactly happened and if they were wiped, if a bunch of TVAs now exist, or what. I don't need all the secrets explained, but I do want an emotionally satisfying moment if not an actual ending or explanation.

This series absolutely changes the status quo and it's the first series to really kick off the multiverse events we'll see in Spider-Man, Ant-Man, and Dr Strange. Granted, for non-Disney+ subscribers this isn't exactly a difficult concept to explain, so I have a feeling Loki just winds up being a backstory, but nothing actually necessary in the grand scheme of things.

22 minutes ago, johnny said:

i thought the season finale was kinda bad. Jonathan Majors was great though. 

There was never any doubt that Majors would be anything but great. I really want to see all the different takes we'll get going forward.

1 hour ago, Ghost_MH said:

The thing with MCU stingers, even then, is that the only major one we got came with a very clear date to continue on. Infinity Wars and End Game were clearly labeled as a year apart, so it was clear when we'd get a resolution. Also, there was only a single hanging thread left. Sure, the single thing was the death of half of everyone, but that's a lot easier to keep track of a year later than "Where is Loki?", "Where is Silvie?", "Where did Renslayer go?", "Who is this Kang?", and "What happens to Alioth when it isn't constantly getting fed new pruned timelines?". Therr are too many hanging threads that we're all going to forget by the time a season 2 comes along in late 2022 or 2023. That's what leaves things getting unsatisfied. 

As far as TVA time goes, I had assumed they exist in some void dimension outside of time. Events happen one after the other, but time doesn't really move forward for any of them. In that way they could totally be immortal while there, but not really because they aren't really experiencing time. If that is what's going on, good luck ever getting an explanation in the series, because that's a weird concept to wrap your head around.

Also not for nothing… if we assume Kang is being honest with Loki and Sylvie (and it seems he as being at least SOMEWHAT honest given what happened)… how is anyone supposed to hang against him? The universe barely survived Infinity War and Kang allegedly orchestrated the whole affair. Are he and the TVA managing to prune the whole of time across a multiverse specifically to achieve the ending of Loki (the show)? Unless it’s all a con, and the show does NOT suggest that it is… what the fuck is anyone supposed to do about Kang?

The show also has the problem that a lot of it seems superfluous now that we know how it ends. Kang or someone can clearly manipulate the memories of variants that come to the TVA. It seems weird that the TVA employees need to be deceived in order to believe their mission is worthwhile? I know it’s a time travel story so the answer is “Kang knew this is the way that would work,” but it’s weird.

56 minutes ago, TwinIon said:

I feel like this show pretty significantly changed the status quo. Unless I'm mistaken, prior to this show there was basically a single universe, but now all the other timelines and universes are allowed to exist, and likely to interact with each other. I don't know if Multiverse of Madness will rely on anything established in Loki, but it seems plausible.

I agree with you on the time spent with Mobius and Renslayer and the TVA in general. It's super unclear what exactly happened and if they were wiped, if a bunch of TVAs now exist, or what. I don't need all the secrets explained, but I do want an emotionally satisfying moment if not an actual ending or explanation.

Yeah, I meant that Loki was atypical in that the last few seconds DID change everything, but didn’t really give enough time to let anything land or establish how.

10 minutes ago, Kal-El814 said:

Also not for nothing… if we assume Kang is being honest with Loki and Sylvie (and it seems he as being at least SOMEWHAT honest given what happened)… how is anyone supposed to hang against him? The universe barely survived Infinity War and Kang allegedly orchestrated the whole affair. Are he and the TVA managing to prune the whole of time across a multiverse specifically to achieve the ending of Loki (the show)? Unless it’s all a con, and the show does NOT suggest that it is… what the fuck is anyone supposed to do about Kang?

The show also has the problem that a lot of it seems superfluous now that we know how it ends. Kang or someone can clearly manipulate the memories of variants that come to the TVA. It seems weird that the TVA employees need to be deceived in order to believe their mission is worthwhile? I know it’s a time travel story so the answer is “Kang knew this is the way that would work,” but it’s weird.

Yeah, I meant that Loki was atypical in that the last few seconds DID change everything, but didn’t really give enough time to let anything land or establish how.

Different Kangs seen to go about things differently. The current TVA the series end on works directly for Kang, so this Kang might have just not liked the attention and orchestrated the whole Time Keepers story to keep himself or of the spotlight. He didn't come across as ask that motivated.

I don't think this Kang cares about what happens in the universes, rather he may only care about the events that will lead to the rise of another Kang. Now, how do we get a Kang because some rando just happened to go to work late one day? Who knows, but I guess we have a whole Ashton Kutcher movie about that.

1 hour ago, EternallDarkness said:

agreed, especially after the last episode. Sitting around and talking for 35 minutes in a 42 minutes episode?!?!?! not the way to end a show

This much exposition would have been fine if this were the penultimate episode. Really not as a season finale.

17 minutes ago, Ghost_MH said:

This much exposition would have been fine if this were the penultimate episode. Really not as a season finale.

It felt like it just ended after the second act.

Like, I get leaving certain things as small cliffhangers, but the last like 3 episodes were just set up for a payoff that never came. And now it's probably gonna be like 2 years until season 2 (though it does seem like Disney doesn't want to go more than a month or two between one series ending and another beginning, so maybe it will come sooner than we think)

Introducing Kang the Conqueror and the multiverse in the way they did I thought was low-key brilliant. Spending almost the entire episode with him and on Majors' performance was so much fun. We're getting a season 2 of Loki confirmed, so who cares what they did or didn't answer there since we'll be getting more. The show took a big swing with a finale that wasn't a finale and I think it (mostly) landed.

6 hours ago, Ghost_MH said:

This series absolutely changes the status quo and it's the first series to really kick off the multiverse events we'll see in Spider-Man, Ant-Man, and Dr Strange. Granted, for non-Disney+ subscribers this isn't exactly a difficult concept to explain, so I have a feeling Loki just winds up being a backstory, but nothing actually necessary in the grand scheme of things.

The problem is this show ends in a way that it's just setup for other stuff.

11 hours ago, Kal-El814 said:

The end of WandaVision didn’t land in broad strokes, but it establishes Wanda as the Scarlet Witch for reals. Falcon and The Winter Solider was sloppy but at the end of it, we know that Sam is Cap, that Bucky has moved on, that USAgent is a thing. At the end of Loki… we know Loki has grown and that’s not insignificant, but… I don’t know that it’s enough? Especially when Kang has said that eventually, some version of him will end the multiversal war again?

WandaVision and FatWS are setup but do also work as self-contained stories for Wanda and Sam/Bucky. In terms of the internal Loki story just...feels like it ends on a massive cliffhanger. They did at least tell us that it's getting a second season during the end credits so I guess it's okay that it ends on a cliffhanger that they're presumably going to pick up in the second season...but it's still hard not to have a bit of sour taste about "oh, this was just 5 hours of setup for Spiderman doing multiverse stuff and not even a self-contained story like the other two shows" left in your mouth. But I suspect it'll feel better once Loki season 2 comes out.

• Guillotine 1

14 minutes ago, Jason said:

WandaVision and FatWS are setup but do also work as self-contained stories for Wanda and Sam/Bucky. In terms of the internal Loki story just...feels like it ends on a massive cliffhanger. They did at least tell us that it's getting a second season during the end credits so I guess it's okay that it ends on a cliffhanger that they're presumably going to pick up in the second season...but it's still hard not to have a bit of sour taste about "oh, this was just 5 hours of setup for Spiderman doing multiverse stuff and not even a self-contained story like the other two shows" left in your mouth. But I suspect it'll feel better once Loki season 2 comes out.

I don't mind A cliffhanger, I mind ALL the cliffhangers.

Loki's story isn't done, nor Sylvie's, nor their story together. Same for Kang. And Renslayer. And Mobius. And the TVA.

And while it's not like Wanda's story is DONE, nor Visions, nor Sam's, nor Bucky's, they at least got to have their moments land. Loki's ended where the story got the most interesting.

I don't know. The show clearly thinks it's more clever than I do. Its seemingly endless revelations were treated as though they were big twists, but for a show where they could go literally anywhere and do literally anything, the biggest actual surprise was that Loki was D. B. Cooper. Everything else was either obvious or immediately ignored / kneecapped. I can't say how weird I think it is that Sylvie teleported reality nuking bombs all over the sacred timeline and the TVA barely batted an eye. Half the show set up that moment! And then it didn't even remotely matter at all! 1/3 of the show set up the friendship of Loki and Mobius then kicks that to the curb so Loki and Sylvie can ship. They have this supposedly reality forking connection! And then 2 episodes later they wonder why they aren't in sync with one another.

So much is set up and not delivered upon, and so much that is delivered undoes what just set it up. It's an incredibly weird show.

• Guillotine 1

2 minutes ago, Kal-El814 said:

Loki's story isn't done, nor Sylvie's, nor their story together. Same for Kang. And Renslayer. And Mobius. And the TVA.

And while it's not like Wanda's story is DONE, nor Visions, nor Sam's, nor Bucky's, they at least got to have their moments land. Loki's ended where the story got the most interesting.

I don't know. The show clearly thinks it's more clever than I do. It's seemingly endless revelations were treated as though they were big twists, but for a show where they could go literally anywhere and do literally anything, the biggest actual surprise was that Loki was D. B. Cooper. Everything else was either obvious or immediately ignored / kneecapped. I can't say how weird I think it is that Sylvie teleported reality nuking bombs all over the sacred timeline and the TVA barely batted an eye. Half the show set up that moment and it didn't even remotely matter at all! 1/3 of the show set up the friendship of Loki and Mobius then kicks that to the curb so Loki and Sylvie can ship. They have this supposedly reality forking connection! And then 2 episodes later they wonder why they aren't in sync with one another.

So much is set up and not delivered upon, and so much that is delivered undoes what it just set up. It's an incredibly weird show.

I think the timeline carpet bombing was just to occupy most of the TVA while she snuck into the golden room. Could be wrong, but I don't think it was supposed to be more than that.

Just now, Reputator said:

I think the timeline carpet bombing was just to occupy most of the TVA while she snuck into the golden room. Could be wrong, but I don't think it was supposed to be more than that.

The show absolutely sets up that it's a bigger deal then it ends up being. Who Sylvie is and what she's up to drives half the episodes in the season, much of which ends up not mattering at all.

• Guillotine 1

I thought it was great. I don't mind a cliffhanger. We're getting more eventually... the older I get the more I realize that the journey is more fun than the destination, that anticipation is almost always more fun than the payoff. They've done a good job with most of this stuff up to this point, I'll stay on the ride and see where it's going.

1 minute ago, Kal-El814 said:

I don't know. The show clearly thinks it's more clever than I do. It's seemingly endless revelations were treated as though they were big twists, but for a show where they could go literally anywhere and do literally anything, the biggest actual surprise was that Loki was D. B. Cooper. Everything else was either obvious or immediately ignored / kneecapped. I can't say how weird I think it is that Sylvie teleported reality nuking bombs all over the sacred timeline and the TVA barely batted an eye. Half the show set up that moment and it didn't even remotely matter at all! 1/3 of the show set up the friendship of Loki and Mobius then kicks that to the curb so Loki and Sylvie can ship. They have this supposedly reality forking connection! And then 2 episodes later they wonder why they aren't in sync with one another.

So much is set up and not delivered upon, and so much that is delivered undoes what it just set up. It's an incredibly weird show.

Yeah that's fair. I don't think specific things like the TVA not batting an eyelash at all the reality nuking bombs really bothered me--hey, they do it themselves all the time instead of actually bothering to hunt the variant they're after--but on the whole I'd agree that the show kind of just abruptly ends, more than it ends on a properly developed cliffhanger. I also think this episode just feels not worth the setup of the last episode, which was a really cool episode. The last episode was a lot of showing and a bit of telling. This episode is theoretically bigger in terms of what it's telling you, but it's way too skewed toward telling and not showing.

3 minutes ago, Reputator said:

Just now, Kal-El814 said:

The show absolutely sets up that it's a bigger deal then it ends up being. Who Sylvie is and what she's up to drives half the episodes in the season, much of which ends up not mattering at all.

I think it was pretty self-explanatory why that one was a fakeout in a way that didn't feel cheap. She hated the TVA and needed to get in. The TVA had no idea what she was actually up to until that point. It seems fine that the stakes of it aren't what you initially thought since initially all your information is coming from the TVA point of view.

1 minute ago, Jason said:

Yeah that's fair. I don't think specific things like the TVA not batting an eyelash at all the reality nuking bombs really bothered me--hey, they do it themselves all the time instead of actually bothering to hunt the variant they're after--but on the whole I'd agree that the show kind of just abruptly ends, more than it ends on a properly developed cliffhanger. I also think this episode just feels not worth the setup of the last episode, which was a really cool episode. The last episode was a lot of showing and a bit of telling. This episode is theoretically bigger in terms of what it's telling you, but it's way too skewed toward telling and not showing.

I love a good colon cleansing exposition episode, and some of my favorite movies are basically just that. My favorite stuff in Star Trek is almost always the talky bits. But yeah, agreed, this specific episode is badly paced and the ending is just a bummer.

Maybe because I’m high and just finished watching it, but I loved it. So time itself has been seen start to finish for all known possible universes and chaos always happens. So why not ask the 2, who together, can create chaos in on itself  be in charge on that said fate. I thought Majors was great in his performance and reminded me of MIB3 with their alien friend Griffin. He could view all these various timeline possibilities that could of been or to happen. He’s played as being in awe of everything being good but that slight tick in which any given reality could also be played for the worse. Hard to do but seen 2 good performances that pulled it off. It was the dialog that I really loved and the idea of free will being a thing or not, and that also involves fate. I was fine with the threshold idea, because he was clearly looking for a change in control by inviting them. So by having the 2 Loki’s there and giving them 2 options on how to end things. He himself had started a new main timeline for the Loki’s to control by being beyond time itself, but he had also created multiple branches from asking the Loki’s the possibility of his own fate. Both fought for different reasons to get to where they were and 2 options on his/their fate was created. Therefore he had now created something he no longer could see the outcome for. Never once did he really ask them a true option a) or b) question until it came to his fate. Either way they would still never ever be in control of anything, even if they took power because that was what he has written for them to do. If not a variant of his eventually would. Plus the music was amazing for this and so was the ending. I personally loved the series and thought it stuck the landing on multiverse TNT plunger

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Jason said:

The season fells like it just ends abruptly because it's not a real season ending cliffhanger. In a normal world, this would be more of a mid-season cliffhanger while the series went on a short break. Like I said before, there's way too much shit up in the air and expecting folks to remember it all a year, year and a half, is a lot to ask for. Half of next season's runtime is going to be recaps.

6 hours ago, Ghost_MH said:

The season fells like it just ends abruptly because it's not a real season ending cliffhanger. In a normal world, this would be more of a mid-season cliffhanger while the series went on a short break. Like I said before, there's way too much shit up in the air and expecting folks to remember it all a year, year and a half, is a lot to ask for. Half of next season's runtime is going to be recaps.

No it wont. It’ll take literally 45 seconds of “previously on” and it will jog everyone’s memory. There’s not really that much to remember. 

I loved the finale personally. Obviously it ends on a fantastic cliffhanger that not only has you excited for the next season. It sets up EVERYTHING ELSE TO COME. I’m excited for movies/shows I didn’t even really care about before just to see how this phase plays out. I think the Phase 1-3 worked because it was such a novel idea to link so many movies. But by the end the formula and story was pretty played out and boring. This next round of story telling is genuinely interesting and exciting so far.   

32 minutes ago, Mercury33 said:

No it wont. It’ll take literally 45 seconds of “previously on” and it will jog everyone’s memory. There’s not really that much to remember. 

I loved the finale personally. Obviously it ends on a fantastic cliffhanger that not only has you excited for the next season. It sets up EVERYTHING ELSE TO COME. I’m excited for movies/shows I didn’t even really care about before just to see how this phase plays out. I think the Phase 1-3 worked because it was such a novel idea to link so many movies. But by the end the formula and story was pretty played out and boring. This next round of story telling is genuinely interesting and exciting so far.   

I'm obviously exaggerating, but still not really. There are a LOT of storylines time was spent on that we don't have answers for yet. We may be talking about not getting any of these answers until after Ant-Man, so spring/summer 2023. If we get a second season sooner than that, I will be pleasantly surprised.

Either way, let's see, we still need to find out what happened to Loki's previous reality as we know that Marvel didn't just wipe out the existing MCU. That means we need answers for where Renslayer went and what became of Mobius and B-15's takeover of the TVA. We need to find out what happened to Silvie and what kind of person this new Kang is. Thinking about Kang, what of Miss Minutes? She seemed to have some really important files to deliver to Renslayer. Was this Kang being honest or did he gave some plan to set in motion because he assumed he would be killed here? There's too much comic history between Kang and Renslayer to just brush off the fact that his last actions before dying was to have Miss Minutes deliver those files. Since there's so much investment in the previous TVA, that also means we need to find out who this be Mobius and B-15 are. I should also point out that Tara Strong already hinted at Miss Minutes' greater purpose and background. I mean, Miss Minutes is a sentient, time and dimension hopping AI floating thing. What's her deal? Thinking about AIs, why was the TVA afraid of robots or was that just a two off gag? Since the question was asked a few times out loud, what was Sylvie's nexus event and what caused Loki and Silvie's nexus event on that doomed planet? Was that just Kang creating the nexus event in this instance specifically so the TVA could rescue them since they were supposed to reach him? Also, why was Silvie so against the Loki name? Thinking about variants, is that the end for the Loki variants at the end of time? I'd assume not, but it also might not really matter if kid Loki and alligator Loki are content to just chill in a bunker and eat a few hands here and there. Is everything cool with Alioth? It has a bit of history within the comics. Is that going to be explored? Silvie needed Loki's help to charm it and now he's not there.

In a short run series like Loki, it's usually safe to assume that all time spent is spent for a good reason. For instance, we know there was a fight between frog Thor and Loki that was filmed, voiced, and cut. If that's all true then we spent a good amount of time on a lot of ideas and stories that were never answered.

I though it was pretty "meh" -- with a very anticlimactic/unsatisfying ending.

The story was very uneven. Some of the story McGuffin's were never justified.

Sylvie didn't feel like a "Loki" -- she felt like a completely different character (which I believe she was in the comic books).

I, personally, don't think that multi-verse/time travel stories hold up to even the most basic level of scrutiny.  How do these timelines fit in with the "billions of possibilities" that Dr. Strange mentioned in End Game?  If you have infinite multiverses that can change with time travel -- does anything even matter?

Was it entertaining?  Absolutely, in parts, but nowhere near at the level of the vast majority of the Marvel movies -- and the Captain America TV show.

21 minutes ago, Ghost_MH said:

Since the question was asked a few times out loud, what was Sylvie's nexus event and what caused Loki and Silvie's nexus event on that doomed planet?

That one was answered in the episode after it happened. Mobius questions Loki and finds out he and Sylvie started falling for each other, and says that sort of thing could destroy reality (or some-such).

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, AbsolutSurgen said:

I though it was pretty "meh" -- with a very anticlimactic/unsatisfying ending.

The story was very uneven. Some of the story McGuffin's were never justified.

Sylvie didn't feel like a "Loki" -- she felt like a completely different character (which I believe she was in the comic books).

I, personally, don't think that multi-verse/time travel stories hold up to even the most basic level of scrutiny.  How do these timelines fit in with the "billions of possibilities" that Dr. Strange mentioned in End Game?  If you have infinite multiverses that can change with time travel -- does anything even matter?

Was it entertaining?  Absolutely, in parts, but nowhere near at the level of the vast majority of the Marvel movies -- and the Captain America TV show.

Dr. Strange saw all the possible outcomes and I would think since the Thanos/Loki timeline was said to be the legit main timeline. All other possibilities would be, or now, would of been purged by the TVA to keep it on the desired path. They even said the Endgame time travel stuff was already planned to happen anyways, because that is what “the time keepers” wanted. Now with that being said, that would also help explain why the TVA was swimming in so many Infinity Stones. If they had to keep purging the multiple scenarios Dr. Strange had witness in Infinity War. Each Thanos would have had their own set of stones purged by the TVA because he would be powerless against them, much like Loki encountered in the first episode. 

7 minutes ago, silentbob said:

Dr. Strange saw all the possible outcomes and I would think since the Thanos/Loki timeline was said to be the legit main timeline. All other possibilities would be, or now, would of been purged by the TVA to keep it on the desired path. They even said the Endgame time travel stuff was already planned to happen anyways, because that is what “the time keepers” wanted. Now with that being said, that would also help explain why the TVA was swimming in so many Infinity Stones. If they had to keep purging the multiple scenarios Dr. Strange had witness in Infinity War. Each Thanos would have had their own set of stones purged by the TVA because he would be powerless against them, much like Loki encountered in the first episode. 

So, nothing the Avengers did in End Game mattered?  That makes it better.

8 hours ago, Ghost_MH said:

I dunno, I think TV often has some pretty serious cliffhangers.

NauticalOptimisticGhostshrimp-size_restr

:p 

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, AbsolutSurgen said:

So, nothing the Avengers did in End Game mattered?  That makes it better.

That makes it way better!! I love it. I love that they made the grandest set of movies look so small. It's their own work and instead of masturbating to it they turned it upside down. Amazing! Before I was like wow what are they gonna do after End Game??? And now I'm like omg give me more, avengers who?

Ps please end up with xmen

I don’t track much with the concept of “mattering” in movies and TV shows. If something matters to the characters and they behave accordingly, I’m good. It’s why I’m fine with a Black Widow movie happening after the character is dead, or why I don’t care if Cobb is dreaming at the end of Inception.

The difference between those and and Sylvie bombing the timeline, for me, is that the latter sets the table for the audience and then they find out that their being served dinner somewhere else. I don’t mind swerves or baits and switches, I mind when we spend a meaningful amount of time on what we believe isn’t a McGuffin only to find out that it is. That Sylvie potentially needed to spend god knows how long the pull of the equivalent of throwing down a smoke bomb is lousy pacing given how much of the series that took up and that we got told that she was a dangerous variant doing dangerous things but that wasn’t true, her whole plan was to get people to not be looking at an elevator for a hot second. It’s the difference between the show tricking the audience and the show tricking itself. I’m fine with the former, the latter is less good.

12 minutes ago, SuperSpreader said:

Ps please end up with xmen

MCU movies are predictable enough without beam fights, please god, no more. I can’t take it.

• Guillotine 1

53 minutes ago, Ghost_MH said:

We, apparently, might also get Loki a lot sooner with the next Dr Strange. That's going to be a very big cast with Wanda, Mordo, America Chavez, and whoever Bruce Campbell is playing.

Their are rumours that some of Season 2 might of been already filmed. Production apparently started back in November under the name ‘Architect’ Anyways I hope Bruce either plays a Dr. Strange variant or Sam Raimi follows through and finally makes him a Mysterio variant. Bruce has joked online that he would be playing Ash and that Dr. Strange runs into him looking for a book of evil, just not the one Ash is thinking of. Fuck it would be cool to see if Disney had the rights to use Ash in the MCU. (Maybe the zombie What If. . . ) They already did a great Army of Darkness hand reference in Phineas and Ferb