Joe Biden beats Donald Trump, officially making Trump a one-term twice impeached, twice popular-vote losing president

2 hours ago, sblfilms said:

It's interesting that the original tweet makes no such claim, but you then buy into the conspiracy theory pulled from thin air.

Yeah, it’s definitely a “let’s make sure we have all our t’s crossed and dot our lowercase j’s before we do ANYTHING” type deal, and nothing nefarious.

12 minutes ago, Joe said:

I don't really care if he does, though I'm not sure how you are so sure.

She win not be confirmed by the Senate unless she resigns her senate seat and is replaced. Simple fact is no matter what post she would be given, the whole of that industry would marshall against her, and the Republicans would almost certainly fall in line on this to their corporate donors.

In addition, the senate loves their dumb traditions, and one is that a senator does not vote for their own confirmation. See what Jeff sessions did when he was up for AG. Votes present. Best case you have a 49-50 vote against her.

And because of this I don't think Biden would want to risk a very high profile legislative loss this early in his administration

3 minutes ago, b_m_b_m_b_m said:

She win not be confirmed by the Senate unless she resigns her senate seat and is replaced. Simple fact is no matter what post she would be given, the whole of that industry would marshall against her, and the Republicans would almost certainly fall in line on this to their corporate donors.

In addition, the senate loves their dumb traditions, and one is that a senator does not vote for their own confirmation. See what Jeff sessions did when he was up for AG. Votes present. Best case you have a 49-50 vote against her.

And because of this I don't think Biden would want to risk a very high profile legislative loss this early in his administration

I expected this to be a petty Berne v Liz thing. Instead you presented a sound, well-reasoned argument. I leave disappointed.

• Haha 6

15 minutes ago, Jason said:
WPYMXYRCWEI6XHCKBXDCILCICQ.jpg&w=1440
WWW.WASHINGTONPOST.COM

“It feels as though I’ve also won the election," the mayor of Yamato said.

fallback-logo.png
WWW.THEGUARDIAN.COM

Japanese fishing town forms support group to back US presidential candidate

RealClearPolitics just pulled PA from Biden's EC vote count, putting him under the 270 threshold:

logo-sub.gif
WWW.REALCLEARPOLITICS.COM

Latest Election 2020 Results • President • United States • Tuesday November 3rd • Presidential Election Details

Probably nothing?  Yeah, but...to my mind, what you really need to effectively challenge an election result is not just success at court but media buy-in on the narrative.

My worry is that we've never had a president megalomaniacal and fanatical enough to actually go so far as to do the work of challenging the result of an election he lost.  Trump is crazy and narcissistic enough to try.  It's an open question whether our system is actually equipped to deal with it.  Yeah, I realize I'm being a bit irrational here--I envy your ability to stay wholly sane on this issue, @sblfilms.

Anyway...Swear I'll quit the cray cray paranoia once we're past inauguration day.

4 minutes ago, Signifyin(g)Monkey said:

RealClearPolitics just pulled PA from Biden's EC vote count, putting him under the 270 threshold:

logo-sub.gif

Latest Election 2020 Results • President • United States • Tuesday November 3rd • Presidential Election Details

Probably nothing?  Yeah, but...to my mind, what you really need to effectively challenge an election result is not just success at court but media buy-in on the narrative.

My worry is that we've never had a president megalomaniacal and fanatical enough to actually go so far as to do the work of challenging the result of an election he lost.  Trump is crazy and narcissistic enough to try.  It's an open question whether our system is actually equipped to deal with it.

Anyway...Swear I'll quit the cray cray paranoia once we're past inauguration day.

I wouldn't spend any time worrying over Real Clear Politics doing such a thing.  They're a right-wing media outlet who isn't know for their honesty in reporting.  They're pandering to their audience and it's nothing more than that.  

6 minutes ago, vaxick said:

I wouldn't spend any time worrying over Real Clear Politics doing such a thing.  They're a right-wing media outlet who isn't know for their honesty in reporting.  They're pandering to their audience and it's nothing more than that.  

I never detected a big right-wing bias.  They always seem to post plenty of stuff from lefty outlets, too.  But it might be a blind spot on my part, dunno.

1 minute ago, Signifyin(g)Monkey said:

I never detected a big right-wing bias.  They always seem to post plenty of stuff from lefty outlets, too.  But it might be a blind spot on my part, dunno.

191007-poulsen-real-clear-politics-tease
WWW.THEDAILYBEAST.COM

RealClearPolitics has carefully cultivated a non-partisan image—while in the shadows its parent company pushes images of killer Clintons and a freedom-loving Kremlin.

accidentally posted this in the wrong thread

I'm starting to focus more on the Senate races in georgia. I've noticed, outside of lindsey graham, republicans in the Senate are divided in how they're treating Trump. Some, like Romney, seem like they're leaving him behind. Mcconnell seems like he's playing both sides.

They basically have to decide whether they think georgia flipped blue because A) there are actually more democrats that voted, or B) are there a bunch of Republicans who just voted blue (or libertarian) because they don't like Trump. They have to pick one of those lanes. It's like they either have to double down on the Donald or distance themselves from him. 

I'm really interested to see the rhetoric we see over the next couple months.

7 hours ago, Signifyin(g)Monkey said:

logo-sub.gif

My worry is that we've never had a president megalomaniacal and fanatical enough to actually go so far as to do the work of challenging the result of an election he lost.  Trump is crazy and narcissistic enough to try.  It's an open question whether our system is actually equipped to deal with it.  Yeah, I realize I'm being a bit irrational here--I envy your ability to stay wholly sane on this issue, @sblfilms.

Rcp never called pa, period

Stop reading right wing media ffs

7 minutes ago, Joe said:

RealClearPolitics is now the media narrative. 

I didn’t mean that; I was thinking more along the lines of it being one media outlet that starts buying into a certain narrative, which gets other outlets to follow.

The media largely exhibits herd behavior; if, say, the NYT prints ‘story x’ covering ‘controversy y’, that gives cover for other outlets like WSJ to cover ‘controversy y’.

I’d wager that’s one reason why all the decision desks called the election at the same time.

I did *not* mean to imply that RCP somehow uniquely dictates what other outlets print, any more than the first person to rush for the exits in a burning theater has some unique telepathic power that commands everyone else to follow.

Like, I know I’m being nuts, but my IQ hasn’t suddenly dropped to three.