PlayStation 5 OT - Play Has No Limits, update: financial report indicates no major first-party/exclusive PS5 releases prior to end of March 2025, PS5 in "latter half" of console cycle

Commissar SFLUFAN

8 minutes ago, AbsolutSurgen said:

GPU frequency is much higher on PS5 (2.23 GHZ vs. 1.825 GHz on SeX).  Cerny is suggesting that he believes higher frequency is more efficient.  I wonder if he is right?

Eh, we'll see.  I wonder if it's more a cost cutting measure to get more from less.

That SSD though is the real wildcard.

3 minutes ago, Paperclyp said:

Schreier is saying the speed of the SSD is impressing developers more than anything the new Xbox is doing, for whatever that’s worth. 

Right - the SSD's speed could theoretically allow it to be used for things that would otherwise require the system RAM which could then free up that RAM for more advanced tasks.

1 minute ago, SFLUFAN said:

Right - the SSD's speed could theoretically allow it to be used for things that would otherwise require the system RAM which could then free up that RAM for more advanced tasks.

A galaxy brain meme in physical form.

The implications of the ultra fast SSD in conjugation with a new generation of engines like decima  could be positively mind blowing and allow the PS5 a distinct advantage in IQ despite have a slightly less power GPU. Do not underestimate the soothing voice of Mr. Cerny, he most likely just B slapped MS's specs right into the moon! 

Edit: to be clear, this would likely only be for 1st party and some 2nd party titles

I find it interesting that Sony is doing the opposite of MS with expandable storage. They have even higher requirements, but they'll let you buy an off the shelf NVMe drive and throw it in there. It'll need to be a pricey and PCIe 4 drive of the right dimensions, but other than that, they'll let you do whatever. It'll be interesting to see what happens when you put a non-validated or just slower SSD in there. Will it just always use some of the internal storage for any Optane like functionality, or will it throw an error telling you it's no good?

Also, it's probably worth noting that we shouldn't get too caught up in the whole "SSD is fast enough to use for memory" thing. The speed of even this custom storage solution is still only 1-2% as fast as the memory. Clearly Microsoft thinks it's worth investing in faster memory, with 10GB working at a much faster speed than what's in the PS5, and 6GB going slower. That would indicate that they're more concerned with the memory being a bottleneck than the storage.

I'm sure that devs will eventually figure out both. It'll be interesting to see what ends up being easier to unlock.

1 minute ago, Dodger said:

Sounds like both consoles will be pretty good. I'm not tech expert but it looks like MS went with pure brute force where Sony went with some finesse. I wonder what the price point will be for both.

This is a pretty good assessment! As for price, I wonder if we'll see both hit 500. 

For me there was never a choice between sex or PS5. PS5 will have the Japanese games. Tho, maybe MS will try and scoop up some JP games so we get more stuff like Lost Odyssey. And like holy fuck, can Lost Odyssey come to steam or something? I'd even DL your shitty EGS if I could a PC version. 

Shinobi on Reset:

"I get there's disappointment in some of the details today (backwards compatibility) and some weaker aspects compared to Series X, but I'm positive once the public starts seeing things like price, the physical system itself, launch titles and other games coming to the platform and how great they look, this will all be a fleeting memory. It's just a waiting game now."

"I'm positive once the public starts seeing things like price,"

"price"

:mthinking:

2 hours ago, legend said:

All I'm saying is for my next PC, I've found myself about equally excited about getting a fast NVMe as I am about HDMI 2.1 RTX.

I recently built a new PC and I have to say that I haven't really noticed the difference between my older, slower NVMe drives and my new ones. I didn't go full on PCIe 4, but I do have two top tier PCIe 3 drives in RAID 0. I just don't think that there's much that actually takes advantage of it, but hopefully these consoles will change that.

2 minutes ago, SaysWho? said:

Shinobi on Reset:

"I get there's disappointment in some of the details today (backwards compatibility) and some weaker aspects compared to Series X, but I'm positive once the public starts seeing things like price, the physical system itself, launch titles and other games coming to the platform and how great they look, this will all be a fleeting memory. It's just a waiting game now."

"I'm positive once the public starts seeing things like price,"

"price"

:mthinking:

$399 bitches so stfu and stop whining while it sells another 100+ million units. 

46 minutes ago, TwinIon said:

I recently built a new PC and I have to say that I haven't really noticed the difference between my older, slower NVMe drives and my new ones. I didn't go full on PCIe 4, but I do have two top tier PCIe 3 drives in RAID 0. I just don't think that there's much that actually takes advantage of it, but hopefully these consoles will change that.

Some of my interest is in what games might do to exploit it (which these consoles will help usher in), but also my games are still installed on a spinning disk, let alone any version NVMe, so the upgrade from that to the best modern NVMe will be rather substantial for me!

56 minutes ago, heydude93 said:

This is the base version?  Did they mention anything about the Pro model?

PS5 is going to be just fine with the specs shown, no pro needed right now, and I say that as someone with a very high end PC. Same goes for X box Series X. 

I mean, unless there is a Fromsoft exclusive on the PS5, I'll be waiting for the higher powered version. Can't think of any Sony exclusives that I don't mind waiting for. As much as I liked the new GOW, I am fine waiting this time. Unless they REALLY up their game in the combat and bosses department.