~*Official #COVID-19 Thread of Doom*~ Revenge of Omicron Prime

25 minutes ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

Hmmmm...I think I've heard this song before :thinking:

5472.jpg?width=1200&height=630&quality=8
WWW.THEGUARDIAN.COM

A group of German, Austrian and Swiss immigrants has implanted an ideologically driven settlement in one of the country’s poorest regions

Ill provide the cyanide punch!

1 minute ago, b_m_b_m_b_m said:

Death isn’t the only problem!

That was your point :p 

6 minutes ago, b_m_b_m_b_m said:

Hospitalizations, severe sickness, post Covid effects (like MIS-C) are important if rare to prevent against (and the vaccines do just that!)

also per cdc: 

Kids should be vaccinated! This isn’t fucking hard to see!

We don’t vaccinate kids for rare disease outcomes unless vaccination also meaningfully depresses the spread. Vaccinating children doesn’t change health outcomes for the kids almost at all, and in the Omicron era it doesn’t depress spread.

So we are mostly down to what-ifs for why large scale vaccination for Covid amongst children is good national health policy. We also don’t generally do health procedures because something could in the future prove to have a good reason to do so. We should do things because the data supports it. The pre-Omicron data supported a policy of vaccinating everybody, but that just isn’t the case now. That doesn’t mean there aren’t good reasons to vaccinate some children, which is why the option should remain in place.

My three are all vaccinated + Omicron recovered, but I won’t bother with future boosters unless the data shows an actual reason to, which given the way this virus has gone certainly wouldn’t surprise me.

9 minutes ago, Ghost_MH said:

If we were running short of vaccines doses, I'd get it, but we aren't. Vaccinated everyone and their dogs.

We have plenty of lots of medicines that we don’t mass prescribe to children just in case in the future it may be beneficial :p 

11 minutes ago, sblfilms said:

We have plenty of lots of medicines that we don’t mass prescribe to children just in case in the future it may be beneficial :p 

Eh, not really. What other vaccine for diseases that a child is very likely to encounter and contract isn't prescribed to them?

I just realized in almost two years, despite being in Italy during the initial outbreak, despite living with 8 other people, despite having worked amongst unmasked strangers for a year and a half... I've never had COVID. To my knowledge, at least. I've been tested a lot.

Maybe bartending boosts your immune system since you're basically inhaling everyone's spit all the time? It's funny, at my work right now, we've had at least one cook out with covid constantly for the last month, but no one front of house has tested positive, and you would think it's the other way around.

5 minutes ago, Ghost_MH said:

Eh, not really. What other vaccine for diseases that a child is very likely to encounter and contract isn't prescribed to them?

WWW.CDC.GOV

Pneumococcal vaccine recommendations for routine vaccinations of Infants, children, older children and adults at increased risk. Also listed are Pneumococcal vaccine contraindications...

It isn’t prescribed to older kids unless they have a condition that elevated their risk profile. Same for adults under 65. 150k annual hospitalization due to it, so it isn’t a remotely rare virus. But we don’t bother giving it to everybody because the data doesn’t support doing so.

24 minutes ago, sblfilms said:

WWW.CDC.GOV

Pneumococcal vaccine recommendations for routine vaccinations of Infants, children, older children and adults at increased risk. Also listed are Pneumococcal...

It isn’t prescribed to older kids unless they have a condition that elevated their risk profile. Same for adults under 65. 150k annual hospitalization due to it, so it isn’t a remotely rare virus. But we don’t bother giving it to everybody because the data doesn’t support doing so.

That's mostly because infants already get the vaccine and the number of older children and adults under 65 contracting and having severe issues after having been vaccinated as babies is greatly reduced. Of course that's assuming you aren't at elevated risk, at which point it's recommended to keep going with vaccinations. I don't see how it's comparable. The vaccine was recommended for everyone until it was seen that getting it as a baby is enough for most people. That's different than whether kids should be vaccinated to help fight off future COVID strains, even if we ignore COVID already being one of the leading causes of death in children right now. Not like kids in this country are being vaccinated at high rates either. We're at what? 18% fully vaccinated?

Give everyone the shot. Put me in a balloon with a blow dart. Give everyone on this board one of these.

2 minutes ago, Ghost_MH said:

That's mostly because infants already get the vaccine and the number of older children and adults under 65 contracting and having severe issues after having been vaccinated as babies is greatly reduced.

No it isn't. The pneumococcal vaccine is an every 5 years vaccine. The effectiveness is close to 0 after that period. The reason is solely that people outside of young children, older adults, and 5-64 years old with specific medical conditions are at very low risk of a pneumococcal infection becoming serious. And it turns out that in the Omicron era, vaccinating children is exactly like vaccinating them for pneumococcal virus. You aren't addressing spread with vaccination, so the question is whether or not you are providing a substantive improvement in health outcomes via vaccination and that is also proven to not be the case.

I think this list from Johns Hopkins illustrates the point well on why changing facts matter

covid-vaccine-kid-faq-teaser.ashx
WWW.HOPKINSMEDICINE.ORG

Can children be vaccinated for COVID-19? Pediatricians from the Johns Hopkins Children's Center and Johns Hopkins All Children's Hospital answer parents’ and caregivers’ questions.

Should I consider getting my child vaccinated for COVID-19?

Yes. Experts, including those at Johns Hopkins, believe that there are many benefits:

The vaccine helps prevent kids from getting COVID-19: Although COVID-19 in children is sometimes milder than in adults, some kids infected with the coronavirus can get severe lung infections, become very sick and require hospitalization. This is especially important to remember in light of the delta variant, which is more contagious than other coronavirus variants. “The current vaccines are still effective in preventing severe illness from the delta variant of the virus,” Sick-Samuels notes. Children can also have complications such as multisystem inflammatory syndrome in children that may require intensive care or long-lasting symptoms that affect their health and well-being. The virus can cause death in children, although this is rarer than for adults.

The vaccine helps prevent or reduce the spread of COVID-19: Like adults, children also can transmit the coronavirus to others if they’re infected, even when they have no symptoms. Getting the COVID-19 vaccine can protect the child and others, reducing the chance that they transmit the virus to others, including family members and friends who may be more susceptible to severe consequences of the infection.

Getting vaccinated for COVID-19 can help stop other variants from emerging: Cases of COVID-19 are increasing among children, and the delta variant appears to be playing a role. Reducing viral transmission by getting vaccinated also reduces the virus’ chance to mutate into new variants that may be even more dangerous. However, the virus can transmit easily between unvaccinated children and adults, giving new variants a change to emerge.

Having your child vaccinated for COVID can help restore a more normal life: “Getting vaccinated will also help keep children in school and participating in the things they enjoy,” Sick-Samuels says. “Children exposed to the coronavirus who are vaccinated are less likely to get infected, and so are more likely to be able to continue participating with less disruptions to school attendance and other activities.”

COVID-19 vaccines help protect the community: Another reason to strongly consider a COVID-19 vaccine for your child is to protect the health of those living and working in your area. Each child or adult infected with the coronavirus can transmit the virus to others in the community.

If this happens some of the people so infected will become quite sick themselves or further spread the virus to others who will become very sick, and maybe even die — all because of a preventable infection.

This transmission also provides a chance for the virus to mutate further and create a new variant that might prove more infectious or resistant to the available vaccines and therapies. Fewer overall infections among the population means less chance of severe infection and death in the community and of dangerous coronavirus variants emerging.

Legitimately nothing on their list is true anymore due to Omicron. It was true, and why I had all my children get vaccinated as they were approved for their age group. 

1 hour ago, sblfilms said:

That was your point :p 

We don’t vaccinate kids for rare disease outcomes unless vaccination also meaningfully depresses the spread. Vaccinating children doesn’t change health outcomes for the kids almost at all, and in the Omicron era it doesn’t depress spread.

So we are mostly down to what-ifs for why large scale vaccination for Covid amongst children is good national health policy. We also don’t generally do health procedures because something could in the future prove to have a good reason to do so. We should do things because the data supports it. The pre-Omicron data supported a policy of vaccinating everybody, but that just isn’t the case now. That doesn’t mean there aren’t good reasons to vaccinate some children, which is why the option should remain in place.

My three are all vaccinated + Omicron recovered, but I won’t bother with future boosters unless the data shows an actual reason to, which given the way this virus has gone certainly wouldn’t surprise me.

Thinking this requires a level of certainty about the long term effects on the body that the virus has that we simply don’t have. Viral infections can have long term effects on the body that can be quite severe. Chicken pox leading to shingles later in life, hpv leading to cancer, etc. Just examples of viruses in children/adolescents that can cause severe issues as adults. We also know that the vaccine can improve outcomes in one known post viral condition (MIS-C) in addition to mitigating the risk of symptomatic infection even with omicron (though not as good of protection as against other VOCs)

13 minutes ago, b_m_b_m_b_m said:

Thinking this requires a level of certainty about the long term effects on the body that the virus has that we simply don’t have. Viral infections can have long term effects on the body that can be quite severe. Chicken pox leading to shingles later in life, hpv leading to cancer, etc. Just examples of viruses in children/adolescents that can cause severe issues as adults. We also know that the vaccine can improve outcomes in one known post viral condition (MIS-C) in addition to mitigating the risk of symptomatic infection even with omicron (though not as good of protection as against other VOCs)

The vaccine doesn't stop Omicron infection, so anything based on being infected vs. not being infected is moot. MIS-C is fortunately a terrifically rare outcome for children, vaccinated or not. If Omicron was the virus floating around while deciding on vaccination for children, we would not have had mass vaccination for children. This is plainly obvious based on the logic of mass vaccination. 

It would be great to see more artists do this. Unfortunately I would bet that only older artists actually have control over their catalog.

And for those who were saying that Neil Young pulling his music his music doesn't matter at all, he still got 5 million listens a month. It's not like he's a nobody or anything. So respect your elders and chill it with the Young disrespect.

I really doubt that there is a "tipping point" for Spotify in terms of artists they are willing to lose. They've already been without Taylor Swift and I think The Beatles and Prince and they did just fine. I would think that those artists move the needle more than the Joni Mitchell's and Neil Young's of the world, in terms of what artists get streams on their platform.   

7 minutes ago, Chollowa said:

I really doubt that there is a "tipping point" for Spotify in terms of artists they are willing to lose. They've already been without Taylor Swift and I think The Beatles and Prince and they did just fine. I would think that those artists move the needle more than the Joni Mitchell's and Neil Young's of the world, in terms of what artists get streams on their platform.   

What keeps me on Spotify is their algorithm. I've discovered far more music than I ever did with Pandora. However I do know if they start losing artists and bands I consider essential (ie if Radiohead suddenly disappeared) I'd change in a heartbeat. 

I do think there is a tipping point where Rogan starts to become more of a problem than hes worth.

6 minutes ago, Chollowa said:

Maybe its different in other countries, but Taylor Swift, The Beatles, and Prince are all on Spotify. Only thing I can see was there were a few years that Taylor Swift had her music removed, but seems to have gotten added back as of 2017.

4 minutes ago, ThreePi said:

Maybe its different in other countries, but Taylor Swift, The Beatles, and Prince are all on Spotify. Only thing I can see was there were a few years that Taylor Swift had her music removed, but seems to have gotten added back as of 2017.

Yeah, I think all of the artists I mentioned weren't on Spotify and then they were. Swift pulled her music and then came back and they made a big deal out of it. My point is that they've lost HUGE (by today's standards) artists in the past (albeit for a limited time) and have been fine. I also think Podcasts are a big part of their strategy over the last 5 years. The Joe Rogan licensing deal is one of a few moves they made in the podcast space. They bought The Ringer from Bill Simmons and they are home to their podcasts now, although I still listen to most of those on Google Podcasts.