~*Official #COVID-19 Thread of Doom*~ Revenge of Omicron Prime

2 minutes ago, Uaarkson said:

This is probably going to happen eventually in most western democracies. People just aren’t built to follow the rules, especially for 2+ years.

Especially when the rules no longer make sense.

There’s literally no rules left to take back. I was just at a 150 person indoor wedding. My oldest daughter wears a mask at school. Hell even vaccine mandates are getting gutted or rolled back. The denialists won. It’s over.

Next time we’re all fucked because of these ill  conceived republican indoctrination against masks and vaccines. 

• True 2

6 minutes ago, b_m_b_m_b_m said:

There’s literally no rules left to take back. I was just at a 150 person indoor wedding. My oldest daughter wears a mask at school. Hell even vaccine mandates are getting gutted or rolled back. The denialists won. It’s over.

Next time we’re all fucked because of these ill  conceived republican indoctrination against masks and vaccines. 

Today, in Ontario:

Indoor social gathering limits were increased from 5 to 10

Outdoor social gathering limits increased to 25

Cinemas, restaurants, gyms and bars are allowed to re-open at 50% capacity

No more than 10-people are allowed at a table at a bar/restaurant (and everyone must remain seated)

Food is prohibited at indoor sporting events, cinemas, bingo halls, theatres, etc.

No singing or dancing at restaurants/bars (except by performers)

These restrictions are expected to ease slight on Feb 21, and "mostly" lifted on March 14th.

27 minutes ago, AbsolutSurgen said:

Today, in Ontario:

Indoor social gathering limits were increased from 5 to 10

Outdoor social gathering limits increased to 25

Cinemas, restaurants, gyms and bars are allowed to re-open at 50% capacity

No more than 10-people are allowed at a table at a bar/restaurant (and everyone must remain seated)

Food is prohibited at indoor sporting events, cinemas, bingo halls, theatres, etc.

No singing or dancing at restaurants/bars (except by performers)

These restrictions are expected to ease slight on Feb 21, and "mostly" lifted on March 14th.

Seems a bit overboard given your vaccination rates but I’m not gonna lie I was not directing this at Canada. I’m talking about the culture of indiscriminate death country that is the United States 

52 minutes ago, b_m_b_m_b_m said:

The previous posts weren’t about America :p 

30 minutes ago, b_m_b_m_b_m said:

Everything is about America. Their antivax movement is born of American ideas from American conservatives funded by American capital. 

That may be true, but we aren’t talking about the sentiments of antivax people. Basic math would show that the majority of people in that majority of the Canadian population are Covid vaccinated. This isn’t about vaccination, it is about whether the restrictions make logical sense in light of the facts on the ground.

Canadians have mostly been very willing to go along with sometimes severe restrictions for the communal good, they are now rapidly turning away from that according to these poles.

I don’t think America ever had quite the appetite for these sorts of measures after around June 2020.

1 minute ago, b_m_b_m_b_m said:

Tangentially related, and I had to look it up but the Michigan statehouse was overrun with armed chuds in late April 2020. 

Oh yeah, you don’t get out of *March 2020* before the worst of the worst start throwing fits, and fairly large demonstrations began here in April 2020. 

11 minutes ago, Fizzzzle said:

I find it funny that Neil Young chose this hill to die on. Spotify hosts shit from people like R. Kelly and Bill Cosby, and apparently that's fine, but Joe Rogan's covid conspiracies are what puts him over the edge.

The actions of those individuals don't have a (potentially) society-wide impact.

• True 2

GettyImages-1231265707-760x380.jpeg
ARSTECHNICA.COM

If the goal is baseline protection, we can get there with 2 doses, Gottlieb says.

But in his interview Sunday, Gottlieb told Face the Nation host Margaret Brennan that the "decision matrix" around the authorization may be changing. Previously, the goal was that vaccines would prevent infection, Gottlieb noted. Early clinical trials in adults found remarkably high levels of protection from infection, and that was the benchmark and the reasoning behind adding a third dose to the children's trial. But with the rise of the omicron coronavirus variant—which can evade some immune responses—vaccines are no longer expected to stop infections at high rates. Instead, their strength is to provide and maintain strong protection against severe COVID-19 cases, hospitalization, and death. That shift lessens the need for that third dose in younger children, Gottlieb argued.

1 hour ago, Jason said:
GettyImages-1231265707-760x380.jpeg
ARSTECHNICA.COM

If the goal is baseline protection, we can get there with 2 doses, Gottlieb says.

Maybe @CastlevaniaNut18 can confirm, but it seems to me that holding a needle while you're putting a bandage on someone, especially a child, is a horrible idea. I assume it's a stock photo, but this drove me bananas.

12 minutes ago, Kal-El814 said:

Maybe @CastlevaniaNut18 can confirm, but it seems to me that holding a needle while you're putting a bandage on someone, especially a child, is a horrible idea. I assume it's a stock photo, but this drove me bananas.

Not something I really would have given much thought to, but all the needles I've ever used for injections have safety mechanisms you close when the injection is given.

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, CastlevaniaNut18 said:

Not something I really would have given much thought to, but all the needles I've ever used for injections have safety mechanisms you close when the injection is given.

I did something like the pic when I was getting mg phlebotomy training and got yelled at by my teacher, but this was 19 years ago :p

33 minutes ago, CitizenVectron said:

Nice! Curious though; is this is for people who are unvaccinated?

I believe IFR doesn't take vaccination into account (i.e. it is a weighted average of vaxxed/unvaxxed for both Flu and Covid).

Omicron is significantly more transmissible than Flu, so IFR also doesn't tell the whole story...