~*Official #COVID-19 Thread of Doom*~ Revenge of Omicron Prime

The proximal origin of SARS-CoV-2

SARS-CoV-2 is the seventh coronavirus known to infect humans; SARS-CoV, MERS-CoV and SARS-CoV-2 can cause severe disease, whereas HKU1, NL63, OC43 and 229E are associated with mild symptoms6. Here we review what can be deduced about the origin of SARS-CoV-2 from comparative analysis of genomic data. We offer a perspective on the notable features of the SARS-CoV-2 genome and discuss scenarios by which they could have arisen. Our analyses clearly show that SARS-CoV-2 is not a laboratory construct or a purposefully manipulated virus.

Summary: the virus's design is too weird/stupid to actually be man-made.

1 hour ago, sexy_shapiro said:

My mental health had certainly taken a hit this past week. Yesterday the emotions of it all finally caught up to me and I laid on my bed catatonic for almost the whole afternoon. In the autistic community we call that autistic burnout.

The good news is that as of yesterday I’ve been sober from weed for a whole month and alcohol for over five months. This has been a trying time for recovering addicts, including myself, but I’m thankful that I’m still going strong.

I never heard the term "autistic burnout", but that makes sense.  I've probably gone through it multiple times since this crisis started.  And every day, it just seems like it's getting worse and worse. 

And now there's reports like the one posted earlier that say we'll have to live like this for the next 18 months.  I just don't think I could endure that...

• Sad 1

45 minutes ago, CitizenVectron said:

maxresdefault.jpg

Trudeau has announced $85 billion in emergency measures, targeted at individuals and small businesses. $27 billion in direct support, the rest in liquidity measures and tax deferral.

• People without paid sick leave - Government will provide 14 weeks of paid sick leave (equivalent to EI) to everyone in Canada who doesn't have sick leave, including family members who have to take care of others with COVID-19.
  • Direct income benefit - People who don't qualify for EI will now receive equivalent payments if they lose their jobs (self-employed, low-hours, etc).
  • Small businesses - Government will provide subsidy equal to 10% of payroll to help them keep employees on (wow)
  • Canada Child Benefit will be boosted to help parents
  • Every low-income adult will receive a boost to GST credit. $300/adult, $150/child
  • Student loans - 6 month interest-free moratorium on student loan payments
  • Homelessness - doubling funding
  • Domestic violence - shelter funding being boosted
  • Indigenous - Community support fund
  • Farmers - Farm Credit Canada being boosted

Canada is in the best financial shape in the G7 (lower debt to GDP) and can use that to help people. These measures are not exhaustive, and will be expanded as needed.

Final message: "In Canada, public health should never hinge on financial considerations." He also made a call for Canadians to help each other, and gave examples of people getting groceries for elderly people, retired nurses coming back, etc. Thanks front-line workers, including grocers, postal workers, pharmacists, and healthcare workers.

EDIT - In answer to question about recession, Trudeau says that, effectively, he doesn't care about money right now, the top priority is to help people.

EDIT 2 - Payments to individuals will be bi-weekly. Just FYI, EI covers up 55% of your income with a cap. So these announcements mean up to $1146 every two weeks for individuals affected.

Oh just fuck you guys seriously!

:wat:

• Haha 3

25 minutes ago, marioandsonic said:

I never heard the term "autistic burnout", but that makes sense.  I've probably gone through it multiple times since this crisis started.  And every day, it just seems like it's getting worse and worse. 

And now there's reports like the one posted earlier that say we'll have to live like this for the next 18 months.  I just don't think I could endure that...

Adding to this:  I know that, since I'm a 31-year-old man with no underlying health problems, there's very little chance that I would actually die from this virus if I contracted it.  But if things keep going the way they are...I almost would want to.

52 minutes ago, marioandsonic said:

Adding to this:  I know that, since I'm a 31-year-old man with no underlying health problems, there's very little chance that I would actually die from this virus if I contracted it.  But if things keep going the way they are...I almost would want to.

Don't and you really don't want to. Don't let an overwhelm of despair take over you. It's best to probably disconnect from discussions around this and try to find something to help you unwind or take your mind off of things.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, marioandsonic said:

The whole world is in this fight together, stick with it.

While BC had a pretty bad spike in numbers yesterday at least for today in ontario they aren't growing exponentially atm. 23 cases so far today (sunday was 42, monday was 32, yesterday was 13). Also the number of test being done per a day have gone up (which eases concerns over under testing).

https://www.cp24.com/news/ontario-reports-23-new-covid-19-cases-total-rises-to-212-1.4857981

"Ontario health officials have found 23 new COVID-19 infections in the province, up from 13 on Tuesday, bringing the provincial total including recoveries to 212.

The number of people who are under investigation has more than doubled to 3,379. Doctors said yesterday that Ontario’s testing capacity would soon reach 5,000 per day."

The really scary thing about this is in the past US leadership kept everyone in the loop, Bush and Obama for SARS, H1N1, Ebola were in constant contact with leaders around the world pretty much every day, this WH is silent, US and China are bickering over news outlet visas or some shit and blaming each other for the virus, the US turned away functioning WHO test kits, tried to buy exclusive rights to a vaccine, and Europe all acting independently without contacting Brussels.  Its feels very Pre-WW2, everyone trying to do it on their own, despite having tested and proven support networks.

2 hours ago, Remarkableriots said:

My mom is still in the hospital after having a stroke. She had a operation on her neck to fix a blockage so she doesn't have another one. Last night she had some heart complications so they're doing scans. She has been in the hospital for the past two weeks.

Hope your mom gets better man.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, SaysWho? said:

I actually take this to be pretty encouraging... At this point, I think it's safe to say that if you exclusively watch Fox News, you have probably proven yourself practically immune to logic, reason, and science, so to see them polling at 38% is a good sign, to me.... I expected it to be lower. :lol: 

2 hours ago, marioandsonic said:

I just can't stop worrying about the possibility of losing my job, and what would happen because of that.

I am a weak, weak man.

You're not weak! How would you respond to someone else telling you that they're weak in this situation? However you would respond to that, say that to yourself -- have a bit of compassion for yourself. :hug: It's a challenging time, and it's getting almost all of us down a bit. It's perfectly normal to be worried. But your fellow D1Pshits are with you!

• Thanks 2

Just to provide a contrast to the GOP, in Canada the response to this crisis has been near-unanimous, with the conservative groups and parties all cooperating with the government. Here is a notable right-wing pundit/reporter actually praising the government for it's actions and plans:

Even noted imbecile Doug Ford is on board:

Keep in mind that the government is a minority. The opposition parties (who hold a lot of power) all voted to give the government basically unlimited spending powers, and are likely going to unanimously vote tomorrow for the emergency aid package proposed today.

36 minutes ago, b_m_b_m_b_m said:

This fuckin guy

the time is NOW FUCKTARD!!! No, let’s wait and play this out a bit longer like a suspense movie. Trump is trying to play the hero bomb defuser, deciding between red wire or blue wire to cut. He likes a good show (huge ratings) and is waiting until just before the bomb goes off to cut the correct wire. Sadly, the bomb has already gone off sir. He is nothing but Daffy Duck thinking he’s winning the hunting season fight with Bugs Bunny. Just wish we had an Elmer Fudd to shoot him already (looking at you Covid-19)

8 hours ago, marioandsonic said:

It’s a term I learned somewhat recently but I love using it because it puts words to something I’ve felt often in my life but I always thought this was just something I experienced. It turns out it’s a common thing in our community. Science has “proven” it yet, but it’s certainly an observable phenomenon.

I hope you’re taking care of yourself. Surround yourself with movies or music that comforts you. And from person on the spectrum to another, meditation can do wonders to help take some of the pressure off. I really feel for you, it’s hard for those of us that feel things as strongly as we do.

• Thanks 1