~*Official #COVID-19 Thread of Doom*~ Revenge of Omicron Prime

So our out of nowhere conference call this afternoon amounted to a big nothing burger. They want us to keep the 6 feet social distancing (which you really can’t working in stores right now)  Keep washing our hands, use sanitizer and wear gloves. If the distancing is a problem then we should see if we can service the stores maybe once they close (9-11pm is when they close around me) and /or service them during a slow period. When that is, I have no idea. People are going to be all over the place shopping wise with new info coming out by the hour. We are deemed an essential service to well the essential service grocery/convenient stores. 

1 hour ago, chakoo said:

One must get from the airport to home to self isolate. :p The shit that worries me is on sunday I went to a local coffee shop to grab a cup to go and the place was full of people hanging out. -.- I've now switched to making pour over at home.

Funny but also I hate this bullshit. A company does not need to monitor their employees. You set out an agreed amount of work to be done w/ KPI and providing it gets done then who the fuck cares. If the  work is not complete then you hold the employee accountable for what they agreed to do. Tracking and monitoring software just ultimately makes things far worse. I worked for a small VR startup that tried to pull this shit. When they question me why I wasn't at my desk for a while I straight up told them their tracking software is slowing down my builds and I'm stuck waiting for them to complete (they played coy and then immediately removed the software from my computer).

I did a lot of projects from home last year and the irony is, I found, that I was MORE productive working from home. With no commute, that's more time working and because I could work at my own pace, it was not uncommon for me to get started really early and then work really late. I was joking to a friend of mine that once folks realized that working from home leads to more self sufficient and productive workers, it would be a game changer.

• Thanks 1

Think about how much infrastructure we have in place to handle people working in offices instead of at their home when they really have no need to...

Just now, sblfilms said:

Think about how much infrastructure we have in place to handle people working in offices instead of at their home when they really have no need to...

My producer last night worked from home... I had to be in the office because all of the media I'm working on is there. But they are trying to figure out how us editors can work from home as well.

8 minutes ago, sblfilms said:

Absolutely. My department made it possible for every non-teacher and non-caretaker to work from home. So the ~1,000 teachers and school staff would still be in schools, but the ~150 support and office staff could be at home (instead of the board office).

So our board/senior admin decided last year that they wanted a shiny new office downtown and went about trying to fudge the numbers to make it possible. During this, our department said that while we have 20 employees, we only need 4-5 landing spots as we can do most of the work from home, as long as we have access to book a meeting room for the occasional in-person stuff we would need. This is super common in IT. Instead, they made up plans for cubicles/offices for all of us (and ALL 150 staff). We insisted that we could get 50-75% of the board staff to work from home, but senior admin and the board hated the idea since "how can you manage employees when you aren't physically near them?" 

Fortunately our government put the brakes on the new building since it was ridiculous and they were breaking rules in trying to get it...but it does go to show how unnecessary some physical infrastructure is. In a perfect world we could sell our existing head office and move into something 1/4 the size, or maybe 1/2 if we really needed extra meeting space/landing spots for peak periods.

So, jump to today. This morning our department prepped and distributed 58 laptops to office staff (that didn't already have them) to work from home. Senior admin was amazed. 'This is possible!?' Yes, it's been possible for 5 years and we keep pushing for it. Our school division has been instructed to remain closed until the next school year. So now we're going to have 100-150 people working from home for 4-5 months...and things are going to run smoothly. So the question is, what is the argument for returning to normal in-person operations once the pandemic ends? There is none. It will be interesting to see if it is pushed for anyways.

57 minutes ago, skillzdadirecta said:

I did a lot of projects from home last year and the irony is, I found, that I was MORE productive working from home. With no commute, that's more time working and because I could work at my own pace, it was not uncommon for me to get started really early and then work really late. I was joking to a friend of mine that once folks realized that working from home leads to more self sufficient and productive workers, it would be a game changer.

I'm a cofounder of a small software company and I 100% agree with you. That is why I never bat an eye when any staff mention they want to work from home for a day(*). People continue to ignore the amount of distractions and context switching that happens at the office that slows down performance. I even will force myself to wfh on days I need to be heads down to complete a bunch of work. 

* We're actually pretty flexible with our policy and most will probably wfh one day a week. ATM we're pure wfh while everything is going on and made some adjustments to increase our sync points. 

So my management finally figured out that I'm not the only capable employee they have and have decided that someone will "rotate me out" so that I'll be able to telework and have someone else come in. After two of the busiest days in my life this is definitely a reprieve. Whomever thought that support staff could go on skeleton crew before coordinating to make sure the majority of the building was set to telework is a moron. Is it really too much to ask management to check how much support would be needed first? Or think deeply about who is most appropriate? I get that I'm a great employee but I only have two hands and better service techs than me don't have a family that's begging them to stay home. Idiots.

And I seriously had to fight just to say hey maybe other techs shouldn't just be sending people to me without at least checking in with me first! I spent thirty minutes with someone that would have been fixed in five if dude gave me a heads up but that's not even half as bad as management needing to have it laid out for them that this is no way to run things! Dude actually asked me what I would like them to do to fix it. Tell me you're sending someone in! Tell me what the problems are! Tell your users we're fucking busy and you won't be able to just show up out of nowhere and get immediate service! Christ!

Management is too busy pissing their fucking pants on checking that people are "doing work" that no work is being done to make sure everything is done well. I hate late stage capitalism.