~*Official #COVID-19 Thread of Doom*~ Revenge of Omicron Prime

The suburb I live in, Pearland, instituted a mask mandate Sunday and low and behold nearly all the people wore masks when I went to the hardware store today. Crazy how that works!

So this happened in my city over the weekend. I've yet to start going back out in public.

https://katv.com/news/local/brawl-reported-at-little-rock-restaurant-over-social-distancing-coughing?fbclid=IwAR1yZC3b5zaHoJBm_3kr-cWm71KM5kWLuTgiTsiybJ7z2l55A5j1W8YSBXc

Video is pretty crazy. Seems to be disputed as to who cough on who, but it seems like a fact that the white man decided to be antagonistic and moved closer to the black couple after he was asked to back up and observe the social distancing guidelines.

Also seems like my city and nearby city mayors are thinking of making masks mandatory in the coming weeks. Premier Ford isn’t forcing it because he doesn’t see the need for them yet, (almost all of Ontario is in stage 2 reopening) and would be hard to enforce. Although city mayors can finagle a mandate to override Mr. Ford. I shall let you know when/if this happens

McConnell tells people to wear a mask.  It should be a no brainer at this point but here we are, and the idiot isn't helping as usual.

https://www.npr.org/sections/coronavirus-live-updates/2020/06/29/884954234/sen-mcconnell-says-americans-must-have-no-stigma-in-wearing-face-masks?utm_medium=RSS&utm_campaign=nprblogscoronavirusliveupdates

Speaking on the Senate floor on Monday, Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell endorsed wearing face masks as part of a "new middle ground" between a return to normal life and strict coronavirus restrictions. Experts have said they are effective in slowing the spread of the virus but mandates have been criticized by some Republicans as economically damaging and an affront to American ideals of freedom.

"We need new routines, new rhythms and new strategies for this new middle ground in between. It's the task of each family, each small business, each employer and all levels of government to apply common sense and make this happen," McConnell said.

"We must have no stigma, none, about wearing masks when we leave our homes and come near other people. Wearing simple face coverings is not about protecting ourselves. It is about protecting everyone we encounter."

White House Press Secretary Kayleigh McEnany on Monday reiterated that President Trump considers wearing masks a personal choice.

"It's the personal choice of any individual as to whether to wear a mask or not. [Trump] encourages people to make whatever decision is best for their safety, but he did say to me he has no problem with masks and to do whatever your local jurisdiction requests of you," McEnany told reporters at the daily press briefing.

CDC says U.S. has 'way too much virus' to control pandemic as cases surge across country (CNBC)

The coronavirus is spreading too rapidly and too broadly for the U.S. to bring it under control, Dr. Anne Schuchat, principal deputy director of the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, said Monday.

The U.S. has set records for daily new infections in recent days as outbreaks surge mostly across the South and West. The recent spike in new cases has outpaced daily infections in April when the virus rocked Washington state and the northeast, and when public officials thought the outbreak was hitting its peak in the U.S. 

8 minutes ago, finaljedi said:

That feels like a white flag, though the federal government seems to have waved that months ago.

From yesterday's Sunday morning shows, Secretary Azar's soulless eyes indicate that the government is waiving the white flag.  I'm sure he's seen the projections that show it spiraling out of control because his boss never took this seriously. 

7 hours ago, Emperor Diocletian II said:

I'd like to know more about how this came to be.

Was it a government procurement request from external vendors?  What did the RFP say?  Was it a competitive bidding process or was it a sole-source procurement?

The weird thing about it is that the hard part is represented in the downward slope so when he's saying the hard part was climbing the mountain it's a little weird. Really awkward comparison.

Maybe don't let the lunatics run the asylum next time ehh??

https://www.washingtonpost.com/nation/2020/06/30/texas-bars-shutdown-abbott/

“You can’t tell me that my tiny little bar is the problem. He’s the problem,” she said of Abbott in an interview with The Washington Post. “He’s targeting us, and it’s discrimination.”

Together with 21 other Texas bar owners, Parker on Monday sued Abbott and the state’s alcohol regulators to halt the shutdown order, arguing it unconstitutionally bypasses the state legislature and comes at the particular detriment of bar owners, their families and employees.

“This one individual is picking and choosing winners and losers,” Jared Woodfill, a Houston lawyer representing the owners, said in an interview. “Governor Abbott has chosen to sentence bar owners to bankruptcy.”

Neither the governor’s office nor the Texas Alcohol Beverage Commission immediately responded to The Post’s requests for comment. But as new infections have shot up in Texas this month, reaching more than 153,000 residents, Abbott admitted he should have been stricter on drinking establishments earlier in the pandemic.

“If I could go back and redo anything, it probably would have been to slow down the opening of bars,” he told ABC affiliate KVIA, “now seeing in the aftermath of how quickly the coronavirus spread in the bar setting.”

So let me relate my "Flying during Covid" story. I flew back to LA last Wednesday for a couple of days to take care of some long over due personal business, check on my apartment, and exchange the cold weather clothes I had brought with me when I first came back East for more seasonally appropriate ones. I flew Alaska Airlines because I knew that they were guaranteeing that they wouldn't sell the middle seat, while most other airlines would only say "They would try not to."

My Wednesday afternoon flight wasn't full... I noticed several rows that were completely empty and I and several other passengers had rows to ourselves. I was able to stretch out and sleep most of the flight (pretty much all of it to be honest) which is what I normally do when making this trip. I had a KN95 mask on which I wore pretty much the whole time and everyone else on the flight had on masks or some other face covering which they kept on most of the time. So far so good. Things were a little different on my Sunday morning return trip, however.

When I got to my gate for my return trip back to Jersey, I immediately noticed how crowded it was and I suspected that except for the empty middle seats, this flight was probably full and that I wouldn't have my own row again. I was right. When I got my row, there was an older gentleman sitting in the aisle seat who was wearing a surgical mask. I almost instantly noticed that he was wearing to wrong, almost "DeSantis style" and while it covered his nose, I could clearly see that his mouth was exposed. I wondered what i should do and how I should approach the situation because i didn't want to say something to him and come off too aggressive even though i was a bit annoyed. It's not that hard to put on a fuckin' mask properly... superheroes and klans men have been doing that shit for decades.

i decided to wait and see if one of the flight attendants would notice and say something (they didn't, even though one of them scolded him for touching her when he tried to get her attention). I didn't say anything as we took off and he fell asleep briefly, snoring loudly, nor when he started eating some food he brought with him that smelled like hot garbage.  It wasn't until he finished eating and said "fuck it" and took the mask off of his face entirely that I decided to say something. I excused myself to go to the bathroom and as he stood up to let me pass, I pointed to the mask that was now around his neck and said "You're supposed to wear that, yo." In my thickest Jersey accent without trying to sound too menacing and I walked to the bathroom. I decided that if he still wasn't wearing it would notify the flight attendants and let them deal with it but fortunately when I got back to my seat he had it on, properly this time. He kept it on for the rest of the flight too.

I thanked him when he got up to let me back to my seat and even offered him some hand sanitizer to show that there were no hard feelings. The rest of the flight went without incident I am happy to report. I will say that I am comfortable flying as long as everyone is wearing masks and there is some room... like keeping the middle seat open. One of the stories I worked on recently was about several airlines announcing their plans to do away with the empty middle seat policy with American and United planning on selling every available seat this week. I wouldn't be surprised if those plans were scrapped though, because of the recent spikes in COVID infections throughout the country. 

That said, I am quarantining away from my family for the rest of the week in my parent's basement like the winner I am, wearing a mask whenever I have to go upstairs to get food and limiting my interactions with the rest of the house. I plan on getting another COVID test, my second, sometime next week... just to be on the safe side.

20 minutes ago, skillzdadirecta said:

When I got to my gate for my return trip back to Jersey, I immediately noticed how crowded it was and I suspected that except for the empty middle seats, this flight was probably full and that I wouldn't have my own row again. I was right. When I got my row, there was an older gentleman sitting in the aisle seat who was wearing a surgical mask. I almost instantly noticed that he was wearing to wrong, almost "DeSantis style" and while it covered his nose, I could clearly see that his mouth was exposed. I wondered what i should do and how I should approach the situation because i didn't want to say something to him and come off too aggressive even though i was a bit annoyed. It's not that hard to put on a fuckin' mask properly... superheroes and klans men have been doing that shit for decades.

You should have reached over and pulled it down over his lips. :p

• Haha 1

It's official... Americans are banned from the EU

The European Union has formally agreed a set of recommendations that will allow travelers from outside the bloc to visit EU countries, months after it shut its external borders in response to the outbreak of Covid-19. As had been widely expected, the list of 14 countries does not include the United States, whose current Covid infection rate does not meet the criteria set by the EU for it to be considered a "safe country."

The criteria requires that confirmed Covid cases in countries on the list are similar or below that of the EU's per 100,000 citizens over the previous 14 days (starting from June 15).

Countries must also have a "stable or decreasing trend of new cases over this period in comparison to the previous 14 days," while the EU will consider what measures countries are taking, such as contact tracing, and how reliable each nation's data is. The US has not only the highest number of reported coronavirus infections of any nation, currently 2,590,582, but also the highest number of deaths, at, 126,141, according to the latest data from Johns Hopkins University.

I have a friend who was planning on moving to Paris with her family at the end of the month. She was worried about this and we just talked about it yesterday.

• Shocked 1

But it's also not exactly earth-shattering that you can be really smart in one area and an absolute moron in every other area, and that being smart in that one area seems to have a real Dunning-Kruger skewing effect on your overall self-assessment.

• Thanks 1

Sweden starts critical look at its pandemic response (Reuters)

Sweden on Tuesday announced a commission to evaluate its response to the novel coronavirus, reacting to criticism over a death toll that has far exceeded that of its neighbours.

More than 5,300 Swedes have died compared to around 250 in Norway, 600 in Denmark and 325 in Finland, all of which have populations around half the size.

Sweden, unlike the rest of Scandinavia, chose not to close schools and businesses to fight the spread of the virus.

“It is not a question of whether Sweden is going to change as a result of this - the question is how,” Prime Minister Stefan Lofven told a news conference.

I really don't think there is anything that the Swedish authorities could possibly put forth -- no matter how scientifically "sound" --  that would "justify" their approach.

• Shocked 1

25 minutes ago, Emperor Diocletian II said:

Sweden starts critical look at its pandemic response (Reuters)

I really don't think there is anything that the Swedish authorities could possibly put forth -- no matter how scientifically "sound" --  that would "justify" their approach.

But at least they're actually willing to admit that they fucked up.