Disney’s Live Action Little Mermaid Has Cast Its Ariel

https://www.cinemablend.com/news/2476043/disneys-live-action-little-mermaid-has-cast-its-ariel

591ae028d24d0ebad92bd4fa11145cafdf1bf5bf

The Mouse House itself broke the news today, with director Rob Marshall saying that after an “extensive search,” Halley Bailey was selected to bring Ariel to life in the live action version of The Little Mermaid because she had that “rare combination of spirit, heart, youth, innocence, and substance,” not to mention a great singing voice.

How long before the racists show up outraged at this decision?

4 minutes ago, CastlevaniaNut18 said:

Racists are already mad.

TBH, The Little Mermaid is my favorite animated film ever and I was always gonna be bummed if they didn't cast a redhead. But I'm not mad. These Disney remakes have been hit or miss for me, so I'll reserve judgment until closer to release.

There really isn't anything stopping her from being a red head for the movie, but we'll see.

2 minutes ago, Ghost_MH said:

There really isn't anything stopping her from being a red head for the movie, but we'll see.

I know, but I'm skeptical they'll go that route.

TLM was one of those Disney movies I never felt would do well with a live action remake. At least my other favorite, The Lion King, is looking great.

1 hour ago, CastlevaniaNut18 said:

Racists are already mad.

TBH, The Little Mermaid is my favorite animated film ever and I was always gonna be bummed if they didn't cast a redhead. But I'm not mad. These Disney remakes have been hit or miss for me, so I'll reserve judgment until closer to release.

As a Disney fanatic and someone who loved the revival of Disney animation that was kicked off by TLM, I pretty much can't imagine an Ariel that isn't a redhead. Doesn't really bother me, as you said, I'm not mad, but seems an odd move for Disney, but I mean it from a parks perspective. Ariel is a character that has a hefty presence in the parks. She has her own ride at the Studios as well as the Magic Kingdom and plays part in the philharmagic attraction as well.  and is also in the parades, regular as well the special ones they do the Holidays. And that's just in Florida, am sure she also has a presence in Disneyland though it's been so long since I have been out there I can't say with any certainty. I would have expected them to stick with the look that they have firmly entrenched in the parks. 

I just find it weird that adults care so much what she looks like. If she was a real person then ok. But she’s made up. She can look like anybody. And why do we want to deny black girls from being able to watch a movie for kids where the main character LOOKS like them. They should be free to enjoy things the same way white people have forever. 

To be fair I have not done a ton of looking, but so far all I have seen about this on the internet is people being triggered about people who are upset about the race switch.   What I haven't seen is any actual people upset about the race switch. 

There is a big #notmyariel trending right now, and I scrolled it for a few minutes, but it was all people defending the new actress. Didn't see anyone mad about the decision. 

I think we have hit a point where the backlash is now preceding the outrage. 

17 hours ago, IdeaOfEvil said:

Fairest argument I've read is that Lion King and Mulan made sure to stick to respective races and actors of color, but that LM is supposed to be a Dutch story (??) and it didn't get the same attention.

Eh, you know... fuck whitey :rofl:

I definitely find the bathing in human blood vs suicide angle to be far more compelling than the redhead discovering forks angle that Disney went with. 

19 hours ago, IdeaOfEvil said:

Fairest argument I've read is that Lion King and Mulan made sure to stick to respective races and actors of color, but that LM is supposed to be a Dutch story (??) and it didn't get the same attention.

Eh, you know... fuck whitey :rofl:

Wait, is it Dutch?

I mean, I’m sure there are some people upset at the race switch...but I haven’t seen any actual outrage about it. But I’ve cut more and more social media out of my life and I think that helps tremendously in that regard.

On 7/6/2019 at 3:51 PM, sblfilms said:

I mean, I’m sure there are some people upset at the race switch...but I haven’t seen any actual outrage about it. But I’ve cut more and more social media out of my life and I think that helps tremendously in that regard.

What's crazy is I saw tons of backlash on twitter, people screaming about how racist people were for being upset about Ariel being black....what I didn't actually see was anyone on twitter actually saying they were upset about it. Seemed like preemptive outrage for complaints that never occurred. is it just me or does it seem like there a ton of people out there  just looking for things to be pissed off about? 

9 minutes ago, EternallDarkness said:

What's crazy is I saw tons of backlash on twitter, people screaming about how racist people were for being upset about Ariel being black....what I didn't actually see was anyone on twitter actually saying they were upset about it. Seemed like preemptive outrage for complaints that never occurred. is it just me or does it seem like there a ton of people out there  just looking for things to be pissed off about? 

While I don't trust The Daily Wire and especially Matt Walsh, he does have a point here. I've seen some negativity toward the casting, but far more people outraged at the supposed negativity. 

http://dlvr.it/R7wd5t

1 hour ago, CastlevaniaNut18 said:

While I don't trust The Daily Wire and especially Matt Walsh, he does have a point here. I've seen some negativity toward the casting, but far more people outraged at the supposed negativity. 

Kind of like how with Ghostbusters it pretty much immediately went to the point where it was impossible to offer ANY criticism without getting accused of being a misogynist. 

6 minutes ago, Jason said:

Kind of like how with Ghostbusters it pretty much immediately went to the point where it was impossible to offer ANY criticism without getting accused of being a misogynist. 

I really didn't follow that, so I don't know much about it. Never even saw the original Ghostbusters that I can recall. 

17 hours ago, EternallDarkness said:

17 hours ago, CastlevaniaNut18 said:

15 hours ago, Jason said:

Totally phony negativity 

64-FBE49-F-CA4-A-4761-838-A-AA94-E383-DE

6-FCF9534-D7-DC-46-FD-9-B4-B-EF4-AC21901

B971-FB62-08-A5-420-D-A662-018-DB34-DAF4

C45048-E9-089-E-46-A1-8710-CBE5-BEA2-F4-

C57559-CC-0-C0-D-4961-9-F84-B0-CC48-EC17

F404-DE84-3-ABB-4-E84-A60-D-33-AA94-D431

Totally phony. Fake news! Sad.