Disney’s Live Action Little Mermaid Has Cast Its Ariel

1 hour ago, Spork3245 said:

Totally phony. Fake news! Sad.

you are always going to be able to find some people that are stupid, the world is full of them and they are more than willing, dare I say proud, to show off their ignorance and bigotry, but I honestly don't think the outrage over the casting is anywhere near as widespread as it's being made out to be. I did happen to notice that in many/most of those examples you post they were likely dipshit fake accounts as most of them are clearly marked as 'new members'. Now I don't want to go down the conspiracy hole, but we have seen time and time again people creating fake accounts/relaying fake stories just to have something to rage against. Do I think some people are legitimately upset over the casting? Sure, but those people are legitimately stupid and do not represent the vast majority of people. Now I'm going to take a big risk and go out on a limb and say the vast majority of the people don't give a shit one way or the other. 

Oh and while the message with it is stupid, that pic of the hotdog Ariel is pretty damn funny. 

2 hours ago, Spork3245 said:

Totally phony negativity 

64-FBE49-F-CA4-A-4761-838-A-AA94-E383-DE

6-FCF9534-D7-DC-46-FD-9-B4-B-EF4-AC21901

B971-FB62-08-A5-420-D-A662-018-DB34-DAF4

C45048-E9-089-E-46-A1-8710-CBE5-BEA2-F4-

C57559-CC-0-C0-D-4961-9-F84-B0-CC48-EC17

F404-DE84-3-ABB-4-E84-A60-D-33-AA94-D431

Are you really going to post social media screen shots as evidence? Did we learn nothing from 2016 about the people and groups who make a ruckus with fake groups, fake accounts, etc. to see discord?

42 minutes ago, sblfilms said:

Are you really going to post social media screen shots as evidence? Did we learn nothing from 2016 about the people and groups who make a ruckus with fake groups, fake accounts, etc. to see discord?

Did you read what I was responding to?

46 minutes ago, EternallDarkness said:

you are always going to be able to find some people that are stupid, the world is full of them and they are more than willing, dare I say proud, to show off their ignorance and bigotry, but I honestly don't think the outrage over the casting is anywhere near as widespread as it's being made out to be. I did happen to notice that in many/most of those examples you post they were likely dipshit fake accounts as most of them are clearly marked as 'new members'. Now I don't want to go down the conspiracy hole, but we have seen time and time again people creating fake accounts/relaying fake stories just to have something to rage against. Do I think some people are legitimately upset over the casting? Sure, but those people are legitimately stupid and do not represent the vast majority of people. Now I'm going to take a big risk and go out on a limb and say the vast majority of the people don't give a shit one way or the other. 

Oh and while the message with it is stupid, that pic of the hotdog Ariel is pretty damn funny. 

20 hours ago, EternallDarkness said:

What's crazy is I saw tons of backlash on twitter, people screaming about how racist people were for being upset about Ariel being black....what I didn't actually see was anyone on twitter actually saying they were upset about it. Seemed like preemptive outrage for complaints that never occurred. is it just me or does it seem like there a ton of people out there  just looking for things to be pissed off about? 

I mean...

54 minutes ago, Spork3245 said:

I mean...

still stand by what I said. No clue when your little screengrabs were done, but on the day all this outrage supposedly blew up, I didn't see of the negative shit online...just the outrage.

As I said, there are always going to be crazy bigots out there, but they don't represent the vast majority of the population. You can't judge everyone based on the random outlier. Hell just this morning I saw someone posting that air conditioning is sexist! I don't even know WTF the is supposed to mean, but it just goes to show you there are freaking nut jobs everywhere willing to rage against anything.   

5 hours ago, Spork3245 said:

Totally phony negativity

I mean, if you'd actually read my posts(because I said it twice in this thread), you'd see I didn't claim there wasn't any negativity. I've seen a little of it, though it's all been from public comments on articles posted by public pages and I assume a good portion of those accounts are fakes anyway, created to troll. 

There'a already going to be idiots. I just haven't seen them in meaningful numbers compared to the people to are outraged by the supposed trolls.

10 minutes ago, CastlevaniaNut18 said:

I mean, if you'd actually read my posts(because I said it twice in this thread), you'd see I didn't claim there wasn't any negativity. I've seen a little of it, though it's all been from public comments on articles posted by public pages and I assume a good portion of those accounts are fakes anyway, created to troll. 

There'a already going to be idiots. I just haven't seen them in meaningful numbers compared to the people to are outraged by the supposed trolls.

This is my take exactly.

42.7% of the aggregately polled American electorate still supports President Donald J. Trump, today. It has been as high as 45.5% (right when he started) to as low as 36.5%. This is over the course of 2.5 years now. This means there is a certain, immovable segment of the American population whose minds have been made up about a lot of things, and those things, for them, can't and will never change. This includes sexism and racism, amongst many other things. This is all encompassed and encapsulated in Trump's key catchphrase MAGA.

https://projects.fivethirtyeight.com/trump-approval-ratings/

Yeah, I'm thinking some are bots/trolls (of course), but I'm thinking plenty aren't, c'mon guys, don't be naive. The reason you guys haven't run into it much is because you guys are decent people not going to the wrong places (as it were), like that private Facebook group of CPB officers posting and saying horrible things (made up of 9,500+ people btw). 

2 minutes ago, Greatoneshere said:

42.7% of the aggregately polled American electorate still supports President Donald J. Trump, today. It has been as high as 45.5% (right when he started) to as low as 36.5%. This is over the course of 2.5 years now.

https://projects.fivethirtyeight.com/trump-approval-ratings/

Yeah, I'm thinking some are bots, but I'm thinking plenty aren't, c'mon guys, don't be naive. 

None of that changes anything we've said, though.

3 minutes ago, CastlevaniaNut18 said:

None of that changes anything we've said, though.

It means a backlash against this casting definitely exists, you personally just haven't run into it yet (I edited my previous post to elaborate). This isn't a "few bad apples" online, just as white domestic terrorist attacks and mass shootings aren't just a "few bad apples" either but clearly a problem exists among young, white, uneducated adult males. :) 

Just now, Greatoneshere said:

It means a backlash against this casting definitely exists, you personally just haven't run into it yet (I edited my previous post to elaborate). :) 

It's getting kinda tiresome repeating myself, saying I have seen some backlash, personally, but not nearly on the level of the outrage that's supposedly justified by it.

4 minutes ago, CastlevaniaNut18 said:

It's getting kinda tiresome repeating myself, saying I have seen some backlash, personally, but not nearly on the level of the outrage that's supposedly justified by it.

Right, I think @Spork3245 point was to show you (moreso EternalDarkness) that there is plenty more backlash that you may have missed that does justify the outrage (well, some of it). That's how I took it and am trying to elaborate on anyway. I think he and I both understood your first point from the start. :p 

Right, I think @Spork3245 point was to show you (moreso EternalDarkness) that there is plenty more backlash that you may have missed that does justify the outrage (well, some of it). That's how I took it and am trying to elaborate on anyway. I think he and I both understood your first point from the start. :p 

I'm going to continue to disagree. Social media is a cesspool, but I really don't see a handful of screencaps showing idiots being idiots is anything particularly meaningful. 

I have a lot of dumb and bigoted people on my FB(curse of growing up in the South and being surrounded by them). I see dumb and hateful shit all the time from them, but the fact I haven't seen one person complain about this particular issue is notable. At least to me. 

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, CastlevaniaNut18 said:

I'm going to continue to disagree. Social media is a cesspool, but I really don't see a handful of screencaps showing idiots being idiots is anything particularly meaningful. 

I have a lot of dumb and bigoted people on my FB(curse of growing up in the South and being surrounded by them). I see dumb and hateful shit all the time from them, but the fact I haven't seen one person complain about this particular issue is notable. At least to me. 

Right, but that's a fallacy to base your conclusion not on statistical evidence, but anecdotal evidence. I'm sure @Spork3245 can provide more evidence if he wanted, I think he was just giving us some examples. You can disagree, but that's why I made my initial post. I'll let @Spork3245 respond but I think it's clear that there are plenty of people who mind this casting news.

And let's not forget many probably don't know this news yet who would be angry about it, who will find out when the trailer drops or whatever and then you'll really see the hate. Wait for it, I'm calling it now. :)

1 minute ago, Greatoneshere said:

Right, but that's a fallacy to base your conclusion not on statistical evidence, but anecdotal evidence. I'm sure @Spork3245 can provide more evidence if he wanted, I think he was just giving us some examples. You can disagree, but that's why I made my initial post. I'll let @Spork3245 respond but I think it's clear that there are plenty of people who mind this casting news.

And let's not forget many probably don't know this news yet who would be angry about it, who will find out when the trailer drops or whatever and then you'll really see the hate. Wait for it, I'm calling it now. :)

I mean, Spork's evidence is all anecdotal. Search enough and you'll find a handful of idiots posting really, really stupid stuff. It doesn't make them a meaningful force, though. I'd love to see some statistical evidence, but I'm not sure that's possible with what we're talking about here. Social media is a cesspool full of trolls. 

I just think the outrage machine is overworking itself for this one, based on what I've seen so far. 

• Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, Greatoneshere said:

It means a backlash against this casting definitely exists, you personally just haven't run into it yet (I edited my previous post to elaborate). This isn't a "few bad apples" online, just as white domestic terrorist attacks and mass shootings aren't just a "few bad apples" either but clearly a problem exists among young, white, uneducated adult males. :) 

Almost every article I’ve read, or message board post I’ve seen, they all are sharing the same content. FB groups like “Christians against black Ariel” and whatnot. If this is as widespread and these are real people, why are the articles all reusing the same content? Why is the content structured in exactly the same format at the stuff we’ve been seeing in verifiable disinformation campaigns in the last 3 or 4 years?

It has all the hallmarks of a fake response, even though we all agree there are people (even a significant number) who do hold the sort of bigoted views expressed in these troll posts from fake accounts.

1 hour ago, CastlevaniaNut18 said:

I did read your post,  and wasn't accusing you of anything, my post is directed at the link you posted (and I'm not saying you believed it, you even questioned it in your post) and the narrative that's been (heavily) going around that "no one's actually upset about Ariel being black" and it's all "preemptive backlash from over-reaching liberals". That shit is nonsensical but I already knew that you knew it was. I've seen quite few people on my social media, people that I actually know/knew from high school, complaining about this and sharing awful memes. Did troll accounts create the memes? Probably. But they're being picked up and shared by real people, which makes it pretty crazy to argue that it's mostly trolls and no one actually cares.

3 hours ago, EternallDarkness said:

still stand by what I said. No clue when your little screengrabs were done, but on the day all this outrage supposedly blew up, I didn't see of the negative shit online...just the outrage.

As I said, there are always going to be crazy bigots out there, but they don't represent the vast majority of the population. 

The timing of people being against "Black Ariel" is fairly irrelevant.  Furthermore, of course it's a minority, that's literally any number below 50% and I'd imagine most people don't actually care, but that doesn't mean the "minority" that are bigoted assholes shouldn't be called out for being as such.

59 minutes ago, Greatoneshere said:

I think that right there is the problem.  People aren't waiting for the backlash... they are prematurely reacting to a problem that has not manifested yet.  There very well may be a ton of racist stuff when it comes out.  We have seen that reaction before.  However I don't remember much backlash when they did this with Annie a few years ago, so maybe it never comes around.

In fact, I'm very willing to argue that the "it's just liberal over reach!" is also a troll-narrative created by fake SM accounts considering the ones I've seen passing it along on SM tend to fit in 1-4 categories:

1.) Loves Trump

2.) Posted something about having a problem with Ariel being black earlier

3.) Didn't post it but definitely has a problem with Ariel being black but are smart enough to keep it to themselves

4.) Flies the traitor flag on their pick-up truck and complained when Confederate statues were being taken down

*I want to emphasize these categories are the people I've seen on social media sharing the narrative, not anyone on this forum or in this thread. :p 

26 minutes ago, Spork3245 said:

I did read your post,  and wasn't accusing you of anything, my post is directed at the link you posted (and I'm not saying you believed it, you even questioned it in your post) and the narrative that's been (heavily) going around that "no one's actually upset about Ariel being black" and it's all "preemptive backlash from over-reaching liberals". That shit is nonsensical but I already knew that you knew it was. I've seen quite few people on my social media, people that I actually know/knew from high school, complaining about this and sharing awful memes. Did troll accounts create the memes? Probably. But they're being picked up and shared by real people, which makes it pretty crazy to argue that it's mostly trolls and no one actually cares.

Fair enough. But at this point, I'll stand by what I said until I see more.

15 minutes ago, Spork3245 said:

In fact, I'm very willing to argue that the "it's just liberal over reach!" is also a troll-narrative created by fake SM accounts considering the ones I've seen passing it along on SM tend to fit in 1-4 categories:

1.) Loves Trump

2.) Posted something about having a problem with Ariel being black earlier

3.) Didn't post it but definitely has a problem with Ariel being black but are smart enough to keep it to themselves

4.) Flies the traitor flag on their pick-up truck and complained when Confederate statues were being taken down

*I want to emphasize these categories are the people I've seen on social media sharing the narrative, not anyone on this forum or in this thread. :p 

and I've actually seen people post it who don't fit into any of those categories. It's all anecdotal, though.

2 hours ago, CastlevaniaNut18 said:

I mean, Spork's evidence is all anecdotal. Search enough and you'll find a handful of idiots posting really, really stupid stuff. It doesn't make them a meaningful force, though. I'd love to see some statistical evidence, but I'm not sure that's possible with what we're talking about here. Social media is a cesspool full of trolls. 

I just think the outrage machine is overworking itself for this one, based on what I've seen so far. 

Right, his evidence is anecdotal, which is why I made my post that is based on aggregate polling data which is not anecdotal, but indicates a statistically large enough portion of the population that we all know has a problem with this, just on a sliding scale of how much of a problem it is for them. But we all know if you are on the scale at all, you are a racist and/or asshole.

57 minutes ago, number305 said:

I think that right there is the problem.  People aren't waiting for the backlash... they are prematurely reacting to a problem that has not manifested yet.  There very well may be a ton of racist stuff when it comes out.  We have seen that reaction before.  However I don't remember much backlash when they did this with Annie a few years ago, so maybe it never comes around.

All the evidence people are claiming exists that indicates an early or preemptive overreaction is also anecdotal so I'm not sure how the backlash is underblown but the overreaction is overblown? What are we basing one conclusion on vs. the other? Anecdotal evidence clearly exists for both.

I'm just saying anyone who doesn't think there is a backlash now will more evidently see one when a trailer drops, proving the point that a backlash exists even now, it's just smaller (yet still statistically significant). 

Just now, CastlevaniaNut18 said:

I mean, Trump's approval rating isn't exactly evidence in this case, but I guess I see what you're trying to do? :p 

Haha, I mean, I think it is (I again edited the post you quoted to elaborate, sorry about that). :p I'd be curious how one can explain to me how a current Trump voter wouldn't have a problem with this, because we all know the default assumption is that they would (IMHO) heh.

Haha, I mean, I think it is (I again edited the post you quoted to elaborate, sorry about that). :p I'd be curious how one can explain to me how a current Trump voter wouldn't have a problem with this, because we all know the default assumption is that they would (IMHO) heh.

I dunno, but like I said, I have a lot of dumb people on my FB, nearly all of who are Trump fans, but I haven't seen any backlash from them and some are even outright supportive, sooo...?

12 minutes ago, CastlevaniaNut18 said:

I dunno, but like I said, I have a lot of dumb people on my FB, nearly all of who are Trump fans, but I haven't seen any backlash from them and some are even outright supportive, sooo...?

Right, they probably don't know about it yet. Test the waters - post about it, just the mere casting news. If you do, please report back! :p It's in other circles, from what I've observed. Now, to sblfilms' point about the narrative always being the same from what he's seen, again, I think that's the circles he's in. I've seen it presented in many different ways from what I've seen, but I haven't given this a lot of attention because I don't care about Disney "live-action" remake films that much.

1 minute ago, Greatoneshere said:

Right, they probably don't know about it yet. Test the waters - post about it, just the mere casting news. If you do, please report back! :p It's in other circles, from what I've observed. Now, to sblfilms' point about the narrative always being the same from what he's seen, again, I think that's the circles he's in. I've seen it presented in many different ways from what I've seen, but I haven't given this a lot of attention because I don't care about Disney "live-action" remake films that much.

No, I mean, they know about it. They're supportive or at the very least, not bothered by it. I actually did make a post about it a few days ago and it was quite popular. 

Just now, CastlevaniaNut18 said:

No, I mean, they know about it. They're supportive or at the very least, not bothered by it. I actually did make a post about it a few days ago and it was quite popular. 

Interesting. Let's place this on hold until a trailer drops. But that is something, I'd agree. :)

2 minutes ago, Greatoneshere said:

Interesting. Let's place this on hold until a trailer drops. But that is something, I'd agree. :)

I think it's something mostly the hardcore racists are going to be upset about and it'll be exacerbated by internet trolls. Social media being a shithole just makes them more visible. 

1 hour ago, CastlevaniaNut18 said:

and I've actually seen people post it who don't fit into any of those categories. It's all anecdotal, though.

I find it hard to believe about the Confederate flag, unless the disqualifier was “pick-up truck” because it’s on their Honda Odyssey :p 

22 minutes ago, Spork3245 said:

I find it hard to believe about the Confederate flag, unless the disqualifier was “pick-up truck” because it’s on their Honda Odyssey :p 

Well, believe it. My college lit teacher is none of those things. She's not overly political on social media, but I know she takes progressive stances on a bunch of social issues, doesn't like Trump, and isn't remotely a redneck.