A new Ghostbusters film is in the works, set in the original universe

Jason

5 hours ago, Brick said:

While I like the idea of a new Ghostbusters with the original cast and universe, I don't like the idea that MRAs are going to take this as a "win" that they got rid of the "shitty women". 

Same.

But Jason Reitman is a fantastic writer/director, and is thus the only reason now I am intrigued by this. 

5 hours ago, Brick said:

While I like the idea of a new Ghostbusters with the original cast and universe, I don't like the idea that MRAs are going to take this as a "win" that they got rid of the "shitty women". 

2016 movie was just bad.  People can get over something they disagree with if you give them a quality product, but the bottom line is you have to make a good movie.

Hopefully this movie turns out good.  It would be a positive if they chose a diverse cast for the new crew and hopefully they don't just round up the cast that most people have in their heads for this.  They need to stay away from Seth Rogan, Jack Black, and Kevin Hart.

4 minutes ago, number305 said:

2016 movie was just bad.

No, it was just OK. Like, the most average movie ever made. The sort of movie you forget about somewhere between heading into the restroom

for the post movie pee and finally starting up the car to drive away.

18 minutes ago, sblfilms said:

No, it was just OK. Like, the most average movie ever made. The sort of movie you forget about somewhere between heading into the restroom

for the post movie pee and finally starting up the car to drive away.

I would probably agree with that since the movie wasn't really offensive or anything.  However the cost when I make a trip to the movies with my family is about $50 per trip.  An OK movie is fine if I see it on netflix or HBO.  I'm disappointed if I pay to see an OK movie in the theater.  

I didn't pay to see ghostbusters 2016.  I got it free at one point from Movies Anywhere.  So I'll agree it was OK.  Ghostbusters 2 was bad.  

7 hours ago, Kal-El814 said:

The whole notion of a “Ghostbusters universe” is fucking stupid. 

Oh man you're gonna love this comment on the article then. 

I dunno, this could be good.

The first film is excellent. It establishes the fact that the ghosts exist, but also explains that hauntings are only rising to levels that require ghost busting as a result of the resurgence of Gozer, a uniquely powerful extra-dimensional entity. It makes sense that the team have all moved on to other things at the start of the sequel - no Gozer, no amplification of general background spookiness, no ghost busting work to be done.

The second film is less explicit in its worldbuilding, and open to some interpretation. If you believe reports that the video game is essentially Ghostbusters III and therefore canon, then Gozer is actually indirectly responsible for the events of Ghostbusters II as well, which I can buy. Even if you don't accept the game as canon, it's still pretty clear that despite the focus on Vigo, it's actually the slime that's behind the surge in the supernatural, including Vigo's ascendance.

Anyway, all that is background is to set up my headcanon version of Ghostbusters III: Gozer had worshippers, and has a cult dedicated to its return - even if the cult in the game isn't canon, someone had to engineer the construction of the supernatural-antenna building Dana moved into in the first film. It stands to reason that some group was responsible for Gozer's original downfall and has since opposed the cult's ongoing efforts to bring about Gozer's return. In the present day, armed with the magic and subterfuge they've relied on for centuries, as well as advances to the scientific tools developed by the original Ghostbusters 30 years ago, they believe they can finally and permanently destroy Gozer. They set about engineering another appearance with circumstances as favorable as possible to this end, but something goes wrong: Members of the cult infiltrate, and through their interference, Gozer is allowed to possess a suspiciously orange bloviating pig-man who is subsequently 'elected' to the office of President of the United States of America and begins steadily leading the world to ruin until Bill Murray explodes him with a proton gun, the end.

https://arstechnica.com/gaming/2019/01/a-new-ghostbusters-film-is-in-the-works-set-in-the-original-universe/?comments=1&post=36676379#comment-36676379

Spoiler

giphy.gif&ehk=qLZUGrxakbWyevkfr5cI0g

• Haha 1

https://screenrant.com/new-ghostbusters-sequel-teens/

According to Birth. Movies. Death., it is now believed that the main characters in the new film will be kids around the age of 12 or 13. While presently unconfirmed, sources suggests there will be as many as four teenage protagonists - two girls and two boys. Another report only mentions two kids, but the character descriptions bear a striking resemblance to traits held by Ramis’ and Aykroyd’s characters in the original. Allegedly, the film will center on a “family who moves back home to a small town…[and] learn more about who they are and the secrets of the town itself.”

:thumbdown:

Leslie Jones Lashes Out at Ghostbusters 3: It's Something Trump Would Do

"So insulting. Like fuck us. We [don't] count. It's like something Trump would do. (Trump voice) 'Gonna redo ghostbusteeeeers, better with men, will be huge. Those women ain't ghostbusteeeeers' ugh so annoying. Such a dick move. And I don't give fuck I'm saying something!!"

:duckhuntdog:

I felt like the characters had potential and the actors were good in the 2016 reboot, but the script and direction let it down.  I would rather see them try again with this cast than go back to the original.

There's no way any movie they make with either cast is going to touch the original's greatness.  And with Harold Ramis gone, I think they just missed they're opportunity to do a 3rd film in the original series justice.  But I'm sure I'll watch it and give it a fair shot.

This would have been an okay idea if this is what they released in 2016 instead of the reboot. At this point it’s too late. Either make a sequel to the reboot or just give Ghostbuster a rest.

And how does the general public keep up with all of these continuities. The average person will go into the new Ghostbusters wondering what happened to Melisa McCarthy.

5 hours ago, sexy_shapiro said:

This would have been an okay idea if this is what they released in 2016 instead of the reboot. At this point it’s too late. Either make a sequel to the reboot or just give Ghostbuster a rest.

And how does the general public keep up with all of these continuities. The average person will go into the new Ghostbusters wondering what happened to Melisa McCarthy.

If the general public can understand what is going on with Spiderman and Batman/Joker these days then they will be fine with Ghostbusters.  

13 hours ago, number305 said:

LOL. This argument again. Us message board posters are so enlightened. The average Joe can never figure out what a reboot is. 

DC can barely figure out if their movies are connected, you think fans can? ayylmao

1 hour ago, sexy_shapiro said:

A lot of people still think Venom is part of the MCU. This stuff is confusing to most people.

Yup.

On 1/26/2019 at 4:54 AM, sexy_shapiro said:

A lot of people still think Venom is part of the MCU. This stuff is confusing to most people.

Oh man, it annoys me to an unhealthy degree when people do this.  Particularly people who I would assume should understand because they're fellow geeks.

Unless this is secretly a Jump Street crossover, staring Tatum and Hill, I really have no interest in this franchise being reboot again. Just follow up with the good cast from 2016 and give them better than a mediocre script. We've only ever had one good Ghostbusters movie. Every other one was pretty blah.