A new Ghostbusters film is in the works, set in the original universe

Jason

On 1/26/2019 at 7:54 AM, sexy_shapiro said:

A lot of people still think Venom is part of the MCU. This stuff is confusing to most people.

This. Do some of you guys talk to casual film goers? I even explain all this to my wife, who is a movie fan, and she forgets after a few weeks what is or isn't canon for each brand. I do think audiences are more savvy today about that sort of thing than they used to be, but people are dumb.

Not that I care - if you care about canon, do the research. If you don't and then you are subsequently confused, then it's on you.

21 minutes ago, Greatoneshere said:

This. Do some of you guys talk to casual film goers? I even explain all this to my wife, who is a movie fan, and she forgets after a few weeks what is or isn't canon for each brand. I do think audiences are more savvy today about that sort of thing than they used to be, but people are dumb.

Not that I care - if you care about canon, do the research. If you don't and then you are subsequently confused, then it's on you.

Again I don’t think this has much to do with people being dumb. I talk about movies on the internet a bit, I go to the theater reasonably often, I’ve seen most MCU movies on opening day / weekend. I... couldn’t tell you who directed Homecoming. I can’t remember who owns the rights to the Fantastic Four right now. It’s jusy too fucking much :p

2 minutes ago, Kal-El814 said:

Again I don’t think this has much to do with people being dumb. I talk about movies on the internet a bit, I go to the theater reasonably often, I’ve seen most MCU movies on opening day / weekend. I... couldn’t tell you who directed Homecoming. I can’t remember who owns the rights to the Fantastic Four right now. It’s jusy too fucking much :p

I mean, that's going deep. That's fair not to remember those things (Fox has the Fantastic Four rights and Spider-Man: Homecoming was directed by Jon Watts). 

Not understanding that Venom isn't in the MCU does strike me as kind of dumb, by comparison.

23 minutes ago, Greatoneshere said:

Not understanding that Venom isn't in the MCU does strike me as kind of dumb, by comparison.

Why? Venom and Spider-Man are attached at the hip, usually, and it’s not like any of the marketing addresses the issue. I think it’s totally reasonable for someone to go in expecting a Spider-Man cameo, or something. And it’s not like this has really happened all that much before, if they came out with a Lex Luthor movie everyone would expect Superman to be name dropped at least. Batman was in Suicide Squad, etc. 

1 hour ago, Kal-El814 said:

Why? Venom and Spider-Man are attached at the hip, usually, and it’s not like any of the marketing addresses the issue. I think it’s totally reasonable for someone to go in expecting a Spider-Man cameo, or something. And it’s not like this has really happened all that much before, if they came out with a Lex Luthor movie everyone would expect Superman to be name dropped at least. Batman was in Suicide Squad, etc. 

I dunno, it just looks clear to me that Venom doesn't fit in the MCU and seems unattached. Perhaps even that presumption is insider baseball, I dunno. Maybe it isn't dumb. But I stand by the fact that most people are dumb. 

1 hour ago, Greatoneshere said:

I dunno, it just looks clear to me that Venom doesn't fit in the MCU and seems unattached. Perhaps even that presumption is insider baseball, I dunno. Maybe it isn't dumb. But I stand by the fact that most people are dumb. 

That is a fine position to hold, as long as you aren't arrogant enough to exempt yourself from the fact.

4 minutes ago, number305 said:

That is a fine position to hold, as long as you aren't arrogant enough to exempt yourself from the fact.

Nope, I can be pretty dumb at times, but I do believe myself to be smarter than 99% of people. But I'm lucky - I've had a great education all my life and I'm curious about all things by nature and obsessively learn everything I can for the most part about everything that crosses my path. 

So yes and no. I'm exempt, but only to a point. I'd prefer if everyone was at least at my pathetic level, but apparently most people can't even get to where I am. When a large portion of your country elects a certified authoritarian dumbass bully as your president, yeah, my arrogance is officially validated to exempt myself. Before, maybe not, but now?

Humanity is proving me right, unfortunately. 

2 minutes ago, Greatoneshere said:

Nope, I can be pretty dumb at times, but I do believe myself to be smarter than 99% of people. But I'm lucky - I've had a great education all my life and I'm curious about all things by nature and obsessively learn everything I can for the most part about everything that crosses my path. 

So yes and no. I'm exempt, but only to a point. I'd prefer if everyone was at least at my pathetic level, but apparently most people can't even get to where I am. When a large portion of your country elects a certified authoritarian dumbass bully as your president, yeah, my arrogance is officially validated to exempt myself. Before, maybe not, but now?

Humanity is proving me right, unfortunately. 

Eh.

That is the problem.  Everyone always can see how dumb everyone else is.

1 minute ago, number305 said:

Eh.

That is the problem.  Everyone always can see how dumb everyone else is.

Nah, there's a sliding scale and I think I know where I'm on it. Everyone is not equally informed nor equally intelligent, and it is okay to make that clear, since it is a fact. As I get older that becomes more clear, not less, the more I interact with people, so . . . :p 

I'm still a progressive, left liberal who wants the best for everyone, but to suggest that most people are dumb and I (or others) might be exempt can't be controversial.