~*The Official Thread of One Term/Twice Impeached/Worst of Them All Presidential Tantrums, Candy Throwing, and Pants Shitting*~

6 minutes ago, finaljedi said:

It’s been wall to wall for a couple weeks now thanks to the trial.  I just think polls this far out are unreliable, plus the news will promote polling to increase the outrage clicks from the left and the excited ones from the right.

It's wall to wall coverage but a lot of people simply do not pay attention to anything remotely resembling election news until after Labor Day. 

46 minutes ago, MarSolo said:

I’m still not sold on the polls. I think Trump still not being in the news enough is helping him. For one thing, cameras should be all over that courtroom.

Majority of Americans view his administration as a success, over a million Americans died. But hey, eggs were cheap.

1 hour ago, TUFKAK said:
WWW.CNN.COM

Donald Trump continues to hold an advantage over President Joe Biden as the campaign – and Trump’s criminal trial – move forward, according to a new CNN poll...

another example of why I’m done.

America is a shithole not worth my mental stress.

the people who died were just old total successful administration. There is nothing redeemable about this country.

God people are stupid. So Trump polled better after the insurrection than Biden who is actually getting stuff done?

This country deserves to be a shithole.

• True 1

Americans are stupid and selfish, and Republicans are better at setting the narrative that appeals to these two traits especially with the copius amounts of lying they do. "Illegals are taking your freedoms!" "Biden is making you pay for the wokes' educations!" Hunter's laptop!

44 minutes ago, Reputator said:

God people are stupid. So Trump polled better after the insurrection than Biden who is actually getting stuff done?

This country deserves to be a shithole.

I mean there’s that, but it’s an abstract concept, democracy 

We legit lost a million Americans, I watched many die during the pandemic, and this shithole country now views that time as favorable. We are not a country worth saving That justifies a million dead because mortgage rates were low.

1 hour ago, finaljedi said:

It’s been wall to wall for a couple weeks now thanks to the trial.  I just think polls this far out are unreliable, plus the news will promote polling to increase the outrage clicks from the left and the excited ones from the right.

Yeah I don't believe these polls at all

• True 1

2 hours ago, SuperSpreader said:

Yup. Plus

3 hours ago, Spork3245 said:

Polls don’t matter until at least late-September, IMO… and even then, I’d argue that’s where they just “start” to matter.

This is very accurate. We have a ways to go my friend. 

What’s that famous Benjamin Franklin quote?

“What do we have?”

”A democracy, if you can keep it.”

He was absolutely right, but not in the way he expected, or that Republicans like to portray.

2 hours ago, Uaarkson said:

The simple fact he got elected in the first place is a total condemnation of our society. This whole thing needs to be burned to the ground and rebuilt.

If it gets burned down, it's not getting rebuilt how you want it - so what's the point of wanting it to burn down?

A bunch of defeatists ITT.

• Like 1
  • True 1
  • Halal 1

3 hours ago, Uaarkson said:

The simple fact he got elected in the first place is a total condemnation of our society. This whole thing needs to be burned to the ground and rebuilt.

I mean it sucks that damn near half the country thinks this imbecile should run it.  But keep in mind the majority of Americans have never supported him, at the polls or otherwise.  He lost to Hillary Clinton, a woman the Republicans had been demonizing for over 20 years, by 3 million votes.  Biden effectively campaigned via Zoom and widened that gap.  Nikki Haley has been out of the running for damn near 2 months and is still grabbing 15% or so of the primary votes.  I think ones Trump shuffles off to hell there won't be many to keep this current shit together with the GOP.

8 hours ago, SuperSpreader said:

I don't know how often this has happened, but I remember some of these polls show Trump nearly even with the Hispanic vote and like 25% of the black vote.

Granted we shouldn't do the Trump thing of screaming "fake polls" but a lot of these numbers simply do not pass the sniff test.

And most of the polling misses have been in our favor since 2016 and even more so since SCOTUS made reproductive freedom into one of the biggest political issues.

• Halal 1

28 minutes ago, Chairslinger said:

I don't know how often this has happened, but I remember some of these polls show Trump nearly even with the Hispanic vote and like 25% of the black vote.

Granted we shouldn't do the Trump thing of screaming "fake polls" but a lot of these numbers simply do not pass the sniff test.

And most of the polling misses have been in our favor since 2016 and even more so since SCOTUS made reproductive freedom into one of the biggest political issues.

We also know for a fact that the GOP has been flooding the zone with garbage polls to generate demoralizing headlines and skew the polling aggregators.

Are there any examples in history where a fascist movement got dangerously close to taking over but was defeated and went away for good? Not a rhetorical question because I genuinely don’t know. Like, is there any precedent for a country to walk this close to fascism and narrowly avoid it for good?

5 hours ago, Kamusha said:

Are there any examples in history where a fascist movement got dangerously close to taking over but was defeated and went away for good? Not a rhetorical question because I genuinely don’t know. Like, is there any precedent for a country to walk this close to fascism and narrowly avoid it for good?

Maybe I will think of an example later, but it's a bit tough to think of something that didn't happen. Like, we've even had brushes with Fascism in America before(like during WWII) but in hindsight they maybe look less dangerous than they actually were because they didn't happen and we like to tell ourselves it could never happen here.

I will say this, if we can just beat Trump this year we have a built in advantage. Most Facist demagogues don't start their ascent in their 70's.

I have given up on the "the fever will break" idea for the Republican Party but I also have long believed that the "Next Trump, but smarter" worries were overblown.

If we can beat Trump this year, even this morally and intellectually bankrupt party will not run an 83 year old Trump again in 2028. And far from having an even more dominant Facist take his place I believe the party will be in absolute shambles the day after if Trump loses. Look at DeSantis. Trump's unique celebrity is the secret sauce here. 

On 4/28/2024 at 12:19 PM, MarSolo said:

I’m still not sold on the polls. I think Trump still not being in the news enough is helping him. For one thing, cameras should be all over that courtroom.

He is in the news constantly. 

i think you under-estimate people’s fondness for the past, especially when the present is so difficult for so many.

Even those I know who support Trump don’t actually like him. One person recently explained it to me as basically “politicians and media have been fucking with us so long, I'm absolutely willing to vote Trump to see them get theirs”. He specifically named, Pelosi, McConnell, Joy Reid, Morning Joe, and Jenn Psaki.  Basically “My life isn’t going to get better either way, so why wouldn’t I vote for the person that is going to actively make theirs worse.” 

I consider myself a conservative, but I could never Identify with or support current Republicans or Trump, but I don’t hate those who do. Especially in rural areas where people feel like they’ve been openly mocked by the left, and had their communities destroyed by stuff like NAFTA. We all know Trump ain’t going to do shit, but paying lip service to them is more than they get from the left. It’s easy to exploit the anger of the downtrodden, and the GOP are more than willing to do so. And there’s a lot of valid anger right now in poor states and communities. 

Although, imo, if Trump wins, it will be because of Biden and the DNC’s full throated defense of Israel. I think you’re going to see a lot of students and Muslim voters just stay home rather than vote for people they feel are complicit in a genocide (whether you believe it’s a genocide or not, clearly a great many do). Whereas on the right, Republicans will get out and vote whether they agree with or like the nominee or not, as history has shown. And overall, Biden’s 6 million extra votes mean nothing when he only won Electorate by like 80k votes in the important states.

I had personally hoped Trump would be dead by now, but it’s not looking so good. 

• Halal 1

6 hours ago, BloodyHell said:

He is in the news constantly. 

I think you under-estimate people’s fondness for the past, especially when the present is so difficult for so many.

People are terrible at remembering the past.

spacer.png

• Haha 1
  • True 1

1 hour ago, osxmatt said:

People are terrible at remembering the past.

spacer.png

You can’t judge Trumps economy on 2020 alone. I don’t think there’s any question that millions of Americans were better off before the pandemic than they are after. It doesn’t matter if there are more jobs than ever if people need to work two or three to get by. It doesn’t matter if inflation is down when grocery prices and Rent aren’t coming down. Not getting more unaffordable doesn’t make the current system affordable. People seeing huge jumps in their mortgage don’t care that inflation is “only 3 percent right now”. 

theres a lot of people who don’t seem to understand how much worst life has gotten for many people over the last three years of Biden’s presidency. People who were getting by before are drowning now. 

And if presidents are going to brag about “their economy” they can’t be surprised when they are blamed when the lives of voters get worse. That’s their mistake, convincing voters it’s “their economy”. 

• Thanks 2

Before the pandemic, I had finally moved out from my parents into my own apartment, met up with friends I originally knew from IGN, was in decent shape, and adopted my own kitten.  Since then, nothing has gone right for me.  I've grown ugly, fat, and balding, every friend I've known has distanced themselves from me, I have no money, developed a crippling alcohol addiction, my cat refuses to use the litterbox and pee on the rug, and not a day has gone by where I haven't thought about death or suicide.

• Hugs 6

3 hours ago, marioandsonic said:

Before the pandemic, I had finally moved out from my parents into my own apartment, met up with friends I originally knew from IGN, was in decent shape, and adopted my own kitten.  Since then, nothing has gone right for me.  I've grown ugly, fat, and balding, every friend I've known has distanced themselves from me, I have no money, developed a crippling alcohol addiction, my cat refuses to use the litterbox and pee on the rug, and not a day has gone by where I haven't thought about death or suicide.

I'm sorry it's seemingly all gone to hell in a hand basket for you lately. :( I do hope you're seeing someone for some support though; shit's extra tough on your own.  :hug:

6 hours ago, BloodyHell said:

You can’t judge Trumps economy on 2020 alone. I don’t think there’s any question that millions of Americans were better off before the pandemic than they are after. It doesn’t matter if there are more jobs than ever if people need to work two or three to get by. It doesn’t matter if inflation is down when grocery prices and Rent aren’t coming down. Not getting more unaffordable doesn’t make the current system affordable. People seeing huge jumps in their mortgage don’t care that inflation is “only 3 percent right now”. 

theres a lot of people who don’t seem to understand how much worst life has gotten for many people over the last three years of Biden’s presidency. People who were getting by before are drowning now. 

And if presidents are going to brag about “their economy” they can’t be surprised when they are blamed when the lives of voters get worse. That’s their mistake, convincing voters it’s “their economy”. 

How about one of the worst quarters since the great recession, 4th 2018, you can not divorce his shit record on the economy by claiming not real economy and then at the same time say the Pandemic is unique but the Pandemic recovery isn't. This bullshit mindsight is why America is the shithole it is. Further, if your mortgages have increased sounds like you didn't learn from the great recession. Maybe you shouldn't have agreed to a variable rate mortgage, sounds like a you fucked up thing not the system did. Conservatives are all about personal responsibility until they're forced to confront their own failures then it's someone else's fault. They remain the true snowflake crybaby bitches. Also I bought a house in the bay while Biden was President, thanks Biden. Almost like success and failure is a personal thing, don't tell conservatives though. If eggs costing three dollars more breaks you, you fail as a person.

Further, to your other point.

Conservatives getting made fun of. Oh the horror. lolol

Fucking spare me. My entire life I've moved in conservative circles and as a result I've been insulted for it. I've had terrible things said about me from: mentally deranged, fucked in the head, traitor, unamerican etc all because I am to the left. And guess who was saying it. I was literally in the Marines, wearing boots, and called a traitor by some fat conservatives mouth breather because I said gay people should be allowed to get married. Now they wanna cry like bitches because their shit hole cities in their flyover states get made fun of while insulting me, my cities, my communities my entire life. Crybaby fucks. They can't handle what they dished out for decades and now want to burn the country down over it. Fuck em, your life is still gonna suck even if you make ours harder.

No, I don't care your shit towns are dying, I care as much about your kids dying due to Heroin as you did about my family during the crack epidemic, to paraphrase a certain comic, amazing how when your kids started dying it became a public health crisis over a personal failing. I have zero sympathy for your failures especially when my success is owed to traditional liberal values like unions and collective bargaining. But hey, pray to Jesus, maybe he will save your shit life.

I'm heading back to Spain next week, My life is great.

• Like 1
  • True 1
  • Halal 1
  • Hugs 1

3 hours ago, marioandsonic said:

Things get better. If you need to talk this board is always here.

• Hugs 1

3 hours ago, TUFKAK said:

How about one of the worst quarters since the great recession, 4th 2018, you can not divorce his shit record on the economy by claiming not real economy and then at the same time say the Pandemic is unique but the Pandemic recovery isn't. This bullshit mindsight is why America is the shithole it is. Further, if your mortgages have increased sounds like you didn't learn from the great recession. Maybe you shouldn't have agreed to a variable rate mortgage, sounds like a you fucked up thing not the system did. Conservatives are all about personal responsibility until they're forced to confront their own failures then it's someone else's fault. They remain the true snowflake crybaby bitches. Also I bought a house in the bay while Biden was President, thanks Biden. Almost like success and failure is a personal thing, don't tell conservatives though. If eggs costing three dollars more breaks you, you fail as a person.

Further, to your other point.

Fucking spare me. My entire life I've moved in conservative circles and as a result I've been insulted for it. I've had terrible things said about me from: mentally deranged, fucked in the head, traitor, unamerican etc all because I am to the left. And guess who was saying it. I was literally in the Marines, wearing boots, and called a traitor by some fat conservatives mouth breather because I said gay people should be allowed to get married. Now they wanna cry like bitches because their shit hole cities in their flyover states get made fun of while insulting me, my cities, my communities my entire life. Crybaby fucks. They can't handle what they dished out for decades and now want to burn the country down over it. Fuck em, your life is still gonna suck even if you make ours harder.

No, I don't care your shit towns are dying, I care as much about your kids dying due to Heroin as you did about my family during the crack epidemic, to paraphrase a certain comic, amazing how when your kids started dying it became a public health crisis over a personal failing. I have zero sympathy for your failures especially when my success is owed to traditional liberal values like unions and collective bargaining. But hey, pray to Jesus, maybe he will save your shit life.

I'm heading back to Spain next week, My life is great.

A lot of assumptions there, and more of the attitude that pushes people to the right.

the crack epidemic was a fucking travesty and I don’t know anyone who doesn’t care about the lives of others, except seemingly modern liberals. What came after the crack epidemic? Oh yeah, the Hillary/Biden double team crime bill. Are we really pretending the DNC tried to help black America. 

My life is neither shitty, nor do I believe in god, so not sure where you’re going. Southern Evangelicalism doesn’t really exist around me. 

I don’t personally know a single conservative who is anti-union. Most people in this area were proud union members before NAFTA came a long and decimated thriving rural communities.

I’m absolutely willing to admit that the modern GOP is a disgusting organization that needs to be torn down, but I’m not willing to pretend the DNC is trying to better life for Americans. They are elitists who are completely beholden to lobbyists and defence contractors. 

If you had said those things about any other group, this board would be screaming about how hateful you are. 

3 hours ago, TUFKAK said:

I've got in laws that live in rural Michigan. The sum of what I see from the people that live near them.....Complains about migrants walking hundreds of miles to "take their jobs"....won't move out of the county they were born in to find a better job. 

Sorry if I don't feel sympathetic. 

• Like 1
  • Halal 1

24 minutes ago, BloodyHell said:

don’t personally know a single conservative who is anti-union.

Lmao

lol

lmao

i know so many anti union union members and anti union people who benefit from CBAs but don’t want to pony up and actually contribute to the union. 

“oh yeah the xyz union is bad but mine is good” “I couldn’t get this same wage at a company that doesn’t have a union, but no I’m not in the union” “my parents worked for the big 3, retired at 55 and now I’m getting a hell of a deal on my new F-150 but unions don’t have a place in todays economy”

im not convinced you actually know any working class American conservatives, as the above examples are from actual conversations I’ve had with conservatives who clearly see and enjoy the benefits of unions but are anti union themselves

• Like 1
  • True 1
  • Halal 1

11 hours ago, BloodyHell said:

point one:

I realize people don’t think like this—which is part of the problem here—but maybe you can, so I’m going to ask you:

Can you name one country that is doing better?  Because I can’t.

The US has the lowest inflation in the G20, and a historically tight labor market.  What country’s post-pandemic economic performance is the U.S. falling short of?  

Point two:

Again, people don’t think this way, but it’s worth saying: their lives were getting worse before—they just didn’t realize it.

Take housing—people say “I can’t afford a house now, but I could a few years ago.”

This is false.  If you can’t afford a house at anything other than zero interest rates, you can’t afford a house.  An interest rate of zero is not historically normal.  If ‘normal’ interest rates put housing out of reach for most Americans, then housing is just straight unaffordable.  The zero interest rates were just concealing it.

Same with inflation.  If your income hasn’t risen enough for you to handle a little inflation, then you haven’t been getting paid enough.  The abnormally quiescent inflation since ‘08 has just been hiding the trend.

What I see is basically a very strong economy that is coinciding with a general awakening of the population to the fact that the middle class has been brutalized since ‘08.  Basically, this economy is as good as it gets in this world.  But people are realizing that even a strong economy now can’t paper over the damage that’s been done to them, and they are being forced to confront the fact that they are not as wealthy as they thought they were—and that pisses them off, and gets conflated with the current performance of the economy.  Even though the two are separate (if related) issues.

• True 1
  • Halal 1