A24 - Civil War Trailer - 2024

SoberChef

I like Alex Garland, and that sequence with Jesse Plemons looks great, but selling that premise is going to be hard work.

I know trailers are chopped up and often provide incomplete or misleading context, but it sure seems like it's Texas and California against the rest of the US? That's an odd line to draw for a new civil war.

3 hours ago, Kal-El814 said:

Having the thumbnail be someone aiming down sight with their fingernails painted trans flag colors is… a choice.

Yeah, that's too on the nose for me.

While the trailer doesn't exactly get into the whole sides or nature of the conflict, having not been born yesterday it feels like this is probably going to be a fantasy of the very correct liberals killing the bad conservatives under the guise of a "cautionary tale." I don't think this is a subject that can be handled tastefully, especially when it's clearly an action movie, and I think when it inevitably reaches the conclusion of "well actually both sides bad though" it will be just as empty as it is politically divisive.

• True 1

My reactions in order that I felt them:

California and Texas? Surely not. Maybe it's non-bay area and SoCal California and Texas. 

LOL, Fat Damon as a chud and Ron Swanson as president. This is going to be so bad.

Whatever this movie is trying to say will probably fall flat, if it's trying to say anything at all. 

Given the state of the country at the moment, this seems ill advised at best and really harmful at worst. 

This looks like shit.

• Thanks 1

30 minutes ago, CayceG said:

California and Texas? Surely not. Maybe it's non-bay area and SoCal California and Texas.

The movie is going to try to have it both ways, concocting something similar to current politics but not quite and setting it in current times with lots of imagery and symbols for currently divisive political issues (ala the thumbnail). The creators realize that having it be a clear continuation of real world politics would be a disaster, so they're going to make it just off kilter enough to pretend to not be fanning the flame.

3 hours ago, Firewithin said:

Yahhhh this almost felt gross to me

Considering the subject matter & what it's trying to relay (in my opinion, it's screaming at us that IF we continue down the path we are currently on, this IS a highly potential future of sorts), pretty sure feeling gross is a good compliment.

• True 1

lol.. people will be cheering for different sides…. Curious to see how the political heads are portrayed …

I wonder what the inciting event will be did Lebron get 6 titles and piss off the Jordan heads or will they go full monty and say stolen election

Nice to see Wagner Moura involved.. 

makes me want to go watch the siege again just for the subtlety

Oh man, I saw the headline and thought we were going to get a civil war movie that actually portrays the confederates as evil! Get innnn (see any of my previous posts about civil war movies for context), only to find out they are ALREADY "both-sidesing" a war that hasn't even happened yet. Gotta love it.

I should explain a little: in every single big budget civil war movie ever made, the confederates are either not portrayed at all (Lincoln, Glory), the movie "both sideses" the war (Gettysburg, Gods and Generals), or the protagonist IS A CONFEDERATE SOLDIER (Josey Wales, cold mountain, ride with the devil, etc). No movie ever even attempts to say the cause of the south was evil and the people were evil for supporting it. None. Why do we attempt to keep gently caressing these long-dead slavers that lived 150 years ago? Fuck em.

I have no less than 3 ancestors who fought for the South in the civil war, and the only reason I hope an afterlife exists is to ensure they're burning in hell. Either that or the Buddhists were right and they got reincarnated as a fucking bed bug.

• Sicko Sherman 1

3 hours ago, Fizzzzle said:

I should explain a little: in every single big budget civil war movie ever made, the confederates are either not portrayed at all (Lincoln, Glory), the movie "both sideses" the war (Gettysburg, Gods and Generals), or the protagonist IS A CONFEDERATE SOLDIER (Josey Wales, cold mountain, ride with the devil, etc). No movie ever even attempts to say the cause of the south was evil and the people were evil for supporting it. None. Why do we attempt to keep gently caressing these long-dead slavers that lived 150 years ago? Fuck em.

I have no less than 3 ancestors who fought for the South in the civil war, and the only reason I hope an afterlife exists is to ensure they're burning in hell. Either that or the Buddhists were right and they got reincarnated as a fucking bed bug.

IMO you're right about it being a long ass time ago and the fact that people should get the fuck over it already, be on the right side of history, etc.

BUT....

I also wonder if practically speaking, unfortunately too many people are still attached to the Lost Cause narrative for studios to want to alienate them (i.e. not get their money). :/ 

On 12/18/2023 at 8:05 PM, Fizzzzle said:

Fizz, respectfully, I have a freaking SS officer in my familial history and yeah, I've never felt like that over dead ancestors that I've never met. Chill & be easy.