A24 - Civil War Trailer - 2024

SoberChef

2 minutes ago, SoberChef said:

Fizz, respectfully, I have a freaking SS officer in my familial history and yeah, I've never felt like that over dead ancestors that I've never met. Chill & be easy.

Fuck your SS officer family member.

I don't know, how much leeway we give to our racist families is something I struggle with. Personally... If I didn't know them, then fuck 'em. I also don't believe in an afterlife and therefore have very little care for speaking ill about the dead.

• Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
5 hours ago, ort said:

I bet they are going to gloss over the politics and details of what happened and just drop us into the middle of a situation in this world without trying to explain everything...

I guarantee this is the approach they are going to take... the fact that they have Texas and California banding together to secede makes me think they're glossing over the politics.

I just hope they don't make it some sort of fantasy fulfillment for violent weirdos... we're already at the point where Fox News comments sections are full of people fantasizing about gunning down people in the street... people literally calling for civil war... we don't need to throw fuel on that fire and we also don't really need a preachy liberal finger wagging movie about it either... we just need everyone to cool the fuck down...

• True 1

Worrying about this movie was like worrying about Joker when it was about to release in theaters. It's a whole bag of nothing. If the movie is good, it's good, if it's not, because of this worry it'll be eviscerated more than normal. Alex Garland did stumble a bit with his last film, Men, but I do find it hard to believe the guy who wrote 28 Days Later, Sunshine, Never Let Me Go and Dredd as well as writing and directing Ex Machina, Annihilation and Devs is gonna do some empty, superficial fantasy escapist BS. A24, the studio, whether you like what they put out or not, don't typically make sensational nonsense like Sound of Freedom, but far more dense and/or thoughtful movies. That doesn't mean this movie won't be peoples' worst fears realized, just that it's unlikely.

• Halal 1
  • Hugs 1

• 3 weeks later...

IMG-1815.jpg

Having just walked out of the screening at SXSW and reading this thread. Lol, never change fam. Movie is excellent, as I expect from a talent like Garland. I’ll have more to say when I do my entry in the other thread.

• Like 1
  • Halal 1
  • Hype 1

15 hours ago, sblfilms said:

Having just walked out of the screening at SXSW and reading this thread. Lol, never change fam. Movie is excellent, as I expect from a talent like Garland. I’ll have more to say when I do my entry in the other thread.

This is what I hoped/expected. It's Alex Garland.

• True 1

• 4 weeks later...

aqqAkzs.jpeg

LMAO

I wonder who is more likely to give this movie 1 star. People who didn’t see it and just hate it on principle, or people who wanted a “how to overthrow the government” instructional film and were disappointed that it’s basically just about journalists on a dangerous road trip. 

I didn't think I'd love this film as much as I found myself doing just that a day after my IMAX screening. Like this film is harrowing AF for sure and seeing the ugliness inherent in our country mirrored back to us is soul crushing. Sound design is GTFO of here bonkers crazy! Never heard gunshots sound SO real in another film before. Everyone did a tremendous job, the moments of action showcased in still photography in the moment, what a phenomenal choice. I'll be owning this in 4K for sure!!

An incredibly dumb and shallow movie masquerading as something important and profound. It has so little to actually say about the state of the world or humanity in general, and what it chooses to say is pretty obvious and communicated in ham-fisted ways. It has the look and appearance of an A24 movie but with the intellect and subtlety of Michael Bay. 

To address some concerns people had, I personally don’t see it as a dangerous movie that encourages violence. It's not really a movie where you are rooting for sides, though I guess ultimately you are siding against the president. I don’t see it as a right-wing wish fulfillment movie either, but it also avoids saying much of anything that would offend conservatives other than Offerman as president basically being Trump-lite (and really lite at that)

But if the trailers turn you off from the very idea of this movie I don't think you will be won over by this movie. I suspected early on this one would appeal to me, but I wanted to like it because Garland is interesting. A few people I trust approved so I gave it a shot and it turns out my initial feeling was correct.

On 12/13/2023 at 3:55 PM, Kal-El814 said:

Having the thumbnail be someone aiming down sight with their fingernails painted trans flag colors is… a choice.

For the record those aren’t the trans flag colors. But it’s certainly was a deliberate choice for the sniper to have brightly painted nails.

2 hours ago, Kamusha said:

For the record those aren’t the trans flag colors. But it’s certainly was a deliberate choice for the sniper to have brightly painted nails.

Are blue, pink, and white not the trans flag colors?

5 minutes ago, Kal-El814 said:

Are blue, pink, and white not the trans flag colors?

Light blue, light pink, and white, yes.  But his nails are hot pink, green, and I think I saw some purple when I saw it last night.

• Halal 1

• 2 weeks later...

Going into this movie without any expectation that it is a decisive political statement turned out to be pretty helpful. The only real political stance the film takes is that fascism is bad and that perhaps resistance to fascism should overcome our other political differences. Honestly, I think that's probably enough. 

As purely a setting for the small stories that Garland is telling here, it works. The tension is visceral. Jesse Plemons completely steals his scene (as usual), and is a real highlight. Kirsten Dunst basically only had one expression on her face the entire film, but it worked for me. There are some real tragic stories of conflict photographers who have witnessed terrible things to get iconic shots and I thought Dunst channeled that well.

I also appreciated how high of a regard Garland has for press in general and photographers specifically. Even as everyone has become a photographer, I think there's still room for images to shape and change the world. I also think there's something tragic about these characters and how they're risking their lives to tell stories, but we never get any sense of how those stories are being received.

I do have one tiny issue that has zero bearing on the quality of the film:

Spoiler

I hate that Jessie shoots on film. I'm a Nikon guy, I understand the affinity for The Fe2. I don't shoot film, but I understand the appeal. I just don't think that it's a good choice for front line conflict photography. You're sacrificing so much ability to both quickly get a shot and to share it that it seems almost idiotic to primarily shoot on film in her position. Yeah, it's great we see her developing in the field, but come on. I'm not entirely sure what the audience is supposed to think about that choice, if anything at all, but I read that as a sign of her inexperience.

• Like 1
  • Halal 1