Bipartisan Congressional initiative proposes the ANTI-SOCIAL CCP Act.

Jason

13 minutes ago, GeneticBlueprint said:

Utah's governor banned its installation and use on state owned devices.

Iowa Gov. Kim Reynolds announced Tuesday she is banning the use of TikTok on all state-owned devices and prohibiting state agencies from subscribing to or creating a TikTok account.

The directive follows similar orders by Republican governors in other states, including Alabama, Maryland, Oklahoma, South Dakota, Texas and Utah.

14 minutes ago, SaysWho? said:

The thing I've wondered since Trump mentioned this in 2020: can the government ban a social media network? Is that a thing?

It is not entirely clear whether it is doable. This is quite different from something like an import ban on electronic devices. I do feel like a law in congress would be more likely than not to hold up to a court challenge.

11 hours ago, marioandsonic said:

How would this even work or be enforced? 

I imagine you could establish a fine for any mobile ecosystem that allows it to exist on its native app store.  You won’t 100% kill it,  but if your audience is entirely people who jailbreak their iPhone or side load things on their android devices, you’re killing 99.9% of the audience.  

• 2 weeks later...

Oh yeah - TikTok is a goner.

22BYTEDANCE-TIKTOK-01-facebookJumbo.jpg
WWW.NYTIMES.COM

The company’s internal investigation showed that workers also obtained data on a small number of other U.S. users.

ByteDance, the China-based parent company of TikTok, said on Thursday that an internal investigation found that employees had inappropriately obtained the data of U.S. TikTok users, including two reporters.

Over the summer, a few employees on a ByteDance team responsible for monitoring employee conduct tried to find the sources of suspected leaks of internal conversations and business documents to journalists. In doing so, the employees gained access the IP addresses and other data of two reporters and a small number of people connected to the reporters via their TikTok accounts. They were trying to determine if those individuals were in the same proximity of ByteDance employees, according to the company, which added that the efforts failed to find any leaks.

The investigation was initiated after an article was published by Forbes, and the inquiry confirms part of that report and acknowledges the privacy and security risks associated with TikTok that U.S. lawmakers, state governors and the Trump and Biden administrations have raised for more than two years. More than a dozen states have banned TikTok from government-issued devices, and the company has been in prolonged negotiations with the administration on security and privacy measures that would block any potential access of U.S. user data by ByteDance and the Chinese government.

0x0.jpg?format=jpg&width=1200
WWW.FORBES.COM

ByteDance confirmed it used TikTok to monitor journalists’ physical location using their IP addresses, as first reported by Forbes in October.

An internal investigation by ByteDance, the parent company of video-sharing platform TikTok, found that employees tracked multiple journalists covering the company, improperly gaining access to their IP addresses and user data in an attempt to identify whether they had been in the same locales as ByteDance employees.

According to materials reviewed by Forbes, ByteDance tracked multiple Forbes journalists as part of this covert surveillance campaign, which was designed to unearth the source of leaks inside the company following a drumbeat of stories exposing the company’s ongoing links to China. As a result of the investigation into the surveillance tactics, ByteDance fired Chris Lepitak, its chief internal auditor who led the team responsible for them. The China-based executive Song Ye, who Lepitak reported to and who reports directly to ByteDance CEO Rubo Liang, resigned.

• Guillotine 1
  • Sicko 1

I wonder how much of the problem here is that ByteDance used their user data in this way and how much of it is that a Chinese company did it. Not that I'm defending them, I've never used the app specifically because I don't trust them.

It's bad from a PR point of view, but I don't think this is illegal or even explicitly against their own terms of service. A quick look at their privacy policy says they collect all sorts of info about you, including location, and that they can combine and use all that info for all sorts of things, including "enforcing their own terms, conditions, and policies." I'm no lawyer, but that all is broad enough that they can likely argue that using user data to identify potential leaks in the company (which I'm sure they'd define as a security risk, abuse, or fraud) is covered by their own privacy policy. They're pretty clear that they know who you are, where you go, and basically everything else they can possibly gather about you.

Again, this isn't a good look, but it doesn't seem like they did anything illegal, or anything that Forbes themselves note that other US based tech companies haven't done.

Given that the Biden administration is currently discussing a deal much like what was talked about back in 2020 to sever the US operation, it sure seems like this is a case of preferring private spying be done by US corporations than an actual concern about privacy.

1 hour ago, TwinIon said:

I wonder how much of the problem here is that ByteDance used their user data in this way and how much of it is that a Chinese company did it. Not that I'm defending them, I've never used the app specifically because I don't trust them.

It's bad from a PR point of view, but I don't think this is illegal or even explicitly against their own terms of service. A quick look at their privacy policy says they collect all sorts of info about you, including location, and that they can combine and use all that info for all sorts of things, including "enforcing their own terms, conditions, and policies." I'm no lawyer, but that all is broad enough that they can likely argue that using user data to identify potential leaks in the company (which I'm sure they'd define as a security risk, abuse, or fraud) is covered by their own privacy policy. They're pretty clear that they know who you are, where you go, and basically everything else they can possibly gather about you.

Again, this isn't a good look, but it doesn't seem like they did anything illegal, or anything that Forbes themselves note that other US based tech companies haven't done.

Given that the Biden administration is currently discussing a deal much like what was talked about back in 2020 to sever the US operation, it sure seems like this is a case of preferring private spying be done by US corporations than an actual concern about privacy.

It’s because it’s Chinese. 

like I have mentioned before my old insurance company was being bought by a Chinese company and the USG came on and made rules for what and how data could be shared with the Chinese nationals or entities. Nothing was changing about the business going forward or back but we still need to follow these rules

1 hour ago, 5timechamp said:

getting rid of Tik Tok has been a great idea… I originally got it to look at harmless pet videos then the algorithm did its thing with its constant recommendation of antagonizing political videos…. getting rid of Tik Tok has been great, dont miss it

Fwiw I do not get these and I go out of my way to avoid political content on the platform

just got to be quick about moving on from the video you’re watching