The Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom - update: 10+ million copies sold worldwide in first three days (fastest selling title in the Zelda series)

Keyser_Soze

47 minutes ago, Hand76 said:

What's everyone's thoughts on using ultrahand to create a path, only to finish up with reverse time to navigate or solve puzzles with objects along that path?

I'm not sure if I'm doing shrines right cause I've used this method to clear several puzzles so far and not sure if that's what's intended

What's intended is what works!

• Thanks 1

18 hours ago, BloodyHell said:

did you want to know where he is? 

Reveal hidden contents

oh I ended up finding him. I figured I would once I started to work on the main quest, but at first I was just wandering all over the place just to see what I could see.

The sheer amount of things to see and do is crazy.

I swore like crazy when I came across 

Spoiler

The damn Yiga clan!!!

• Halal 1

3 hours ago, Xbob42 said:

I can think of a million ways they could still improve this formula... I can think of very few that would get me excited about an old Zelda again. I just find that formula so tired and unexciting. I think Skyward Sword was one of the most disappointing games I ever played, and it had nothing (or almost nothing) to do with the quality of the game... it just felt like every fuckin' Zelda I'd already played a million times. I'm so done with that formula.

I felt the total opposite about it.  No lifeless semi-large overworld.  Instead, dense puzzle solving throughout most of the world below, that to me, felt closer in spirit to the GB Zeldas.  It’s like they learned that even the overworld in Majora was fluff, and demphasized it even further to a pseudo-world map with drop in points to the real game world.

It also felt to me like they found a creative spark that traditional Zelda dungeons were somewhat lacking in mechanically since Majora, starting at the third dungeon.  I think they’re a wonderful send off to the series as we knew it.  Especially that last one.

Bosses are another highlight for me.  I’ve never seen an element of a Zelda game as far stripped back as BotW’s blights were, relative to SS’s bigger encounters.  The combat mechanics do have something to do with it, but it’s more than just that.  You can still reduce both games down to being route actions more or less (swipe the direction you’re told to / parry to flurry attack kill the damage sponge).  But SS was generally a more exciting one, outside of encountering a Lynel in BotW for the first time perhaps.

I’m really hopeful TotK can address some of these things.  I’m already liking its Shrine puzzles better than base BotW, but I’m reserving judgement.

SS is still a very flawed game in certain respects though.  Some real pacing issues there, most crucially.  And Fi is still pretty annoying.  I get the hard pivot away that BotW took, since SS is still very much a dead end. I could have used one more like it perhaps, but won’t be complaining about it either.

• Halal 1

I think the bosses in ToTK have been 100% proper Zelda bosses and not just the sad Blights of BotW. Also, while I enjoy puzzle solving, I think of Zelda as an adventure game. There should be puzzles, but if it's all densely packed puzzles I get bored. Especially since the puzzles can never be very hard or give you many oh shit moments like Fez or The Witness or something.

I think ToTK absolutely nails most of what BotW stumbled with. The puzzles alone are more fun for me because of the freeform way you can solve them, even if there's obviously a guided, somewhat intended path. You can be super boring and build the same bridge a million times if that's your thing, you can build flying contraptions, jimmy together a battle bot, all kinds of fun stuff. In this way, even puzzle solving feels like an adventure to me!

• Thanks 1
  • Halal 1

Zelda-1-9.jpg
WWW.ESSENTIALLYSPORTS.COM

Fans are in despair as the newly released Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom not only vanishes from shelves but also from the eShop!

21 minutes ago, Mr.Vic20 said:

Playing hookie from work today! :sun:

I was just waking up after a late night gaming session, and my very tired eyes originally read it as “Playing hooker from work today”. 

I was like, maybe he wants to go broke?

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, EternallDarkness said:

I will say getting money is much harder compared to in BoTW and I seriously miss the BoTW's magic bombs 

Yeah, even now with like 40+ hours in, I still only have like 600 rupees, and I honestly barely spend any except for armor.

11 minutes ago, MarSolo said:

Okay, so it’s not just me when it comes to money? I only just bought the Snow Quill vest for my shirt armor finally after selling some gems. I’d been walking around with that Archaic Shirt for the longest time.

Nope. 
You can buy cheap armor in Lookout Landing that is easily upgraded though. I think the 3 pieces come to like 350 rupees. You can always sell some monster parts for money, you grt tons og that stuff. Especially stuff with really low fuse power.

• True 1

11 minutes ago, BloodyHell said:

Nope. 
You can buy cheap armor in Lookout Landing that is easily upgraded though. I think the 3 pieces come to like 350 rupees. You can always sell some monster parts for money, you grt tons og that stuff. Especially stuff with really low fuse power.

Oh right, I did buy the Hylian Hood when I was there. I should go back and get the rest since I have some money leftover.

5 hours ago, Xbob42 said:

Also, while I enjoy puzzle solving, I think of Zelda as an adventure game. There should be puzzles, but if it's all densely packed puzzles I get bored. Especially since the puzzles can never be very hard or give you many oh shit moments like Fez or The Witness or something.

Every 3D Zelda game before BoTW failed at that on some level IMO.  Either to make it fun, or to give you enough to do for it to really feel like the world itself wasn't padding.  Nintendo's never been able to recreate what LTTP (and ALBW) did so well in 3D.  (but in BoTW/TotK's case, that's totally okay)

I don't look to Zelda to give me Witness style puzzles either.  But I think they were onto something with the 3D dungeons being so much better than the 2D games, which IMO were the trade-off for the world map being more vanilla.  In some Zeldas, like WW or in many of BoTW's shrines, the puzzles are generally too easy.  But I think the rest strike a good balance in being cleverly conceived, fun to solve, and not feeling like convoluted inside baseball.  It does a much better job than other similar examples I can think of, like the 3D PoP games.

I definitely don't want Fez or Witness out of Zelda.  I kind of hated those games for how much they asked of you.  Supraland was more of my speed in terms of puzzle difficulty feeling very tough but manageable.  I'm hesitant to try Tunic, one day I'll give it a shot.

13 minutes ago, best3444 said:

After hitting hyrule and taking a few more shrines down...ask myself...is this really a sequel or dlc like content? 🤔 

I still love it but I'm interested in what you guys think. 

This feels like a question you'd ask on cable news to get your viewership numbers cranking. 

It's obv a sequel. 

• Haha 1
  • Halal 1

15 minutes ago, Paperclyp said:

This feels like a question you'd ask on cable news to get your viewership numbers cranking. 

It's obv a sequel. 

😄 Well for me it kinda feels like dlc but we shall see. I'm still really early on. I definitely see an improvement in visuals and framerate. I can't believe what they have accomplished on such ancient hardware. 

1 minute ago, best3444 said:

😄 Well for me it kinda feels like dlc but we shall see. I'm still really early on. I definitely see an improvement in visuals and framerate. I can't believe what they have accomplished on such ancient hardware. 

It's apparently like 100+ hours of content with entirely new mechanics, and new plot and a massive addition to a pre-existing, yet updated, map. 

At some point DLC vs sequel dividing line is a little arbitrary, but in this case if it were an add on it would completely wreck the original game's experience. 

• Halal 1

26 minutes ago, best3444 said:

So if you really want the game to look sexy [blank] was playing this using a 4k gamer pro and an mclassic adapter. The mclassic adds anti-aliasing to the game and the 4k gamer pro upscales it to 4k so it will look sexy on your tv

2 minutes ago, Keyser_Soze said:

So if you really want the game to look sexy [blank] was playing this using a 4k gamer pro and an mclassic adapter. The mclassic adds anti-aliasing to the game and the 4k gamer pro upscales it to 4k so it will look sexy on your tv

Wait a second. I'm busy right now and will watch this later. Is this all possible without a pc? 

1 hour ago, best3444 said:

After hitting hyrule and taking a few more shrines down...ask myself...is this really a sequel or dlc like content? 🤔 

This question barely even deserves acknowledgement.

• True 2
  • Halal 1

2 hours ago, best3444 said:

Go back and play a few minutes of BotW. This feels like a sequel for sure. 

• True 1

6 minutes ago, CitizenVectron said:

Best is a moron who is asking moronic Fox News-style questions. This game is much larger than BOTW. DLC? Such a dumb statement. 

cmon it’s just a video game, TOTK will be okay, no need for personal attacks 

• True 2
  • Halal 1

The vibe I’m getting from the overall world is it reminds me of the first time you go into the future in Ocarina of Time. In that, you come out of the Temple of Time and see that Hyrule Castle Town is overrun with those masked zombies, and that Hyrule Castle is completely destroyed and replaced by Ganon’s Tower, then you have stuff like Kokiri Forest overrun with plant monsters and Zora’s Domain completely frozen.

Spoiler

In this, you got some reversals like Hyrule Castle and the town getting some refurbishing, but then Rito Village is nearly abandoned because of the blizzard that’s overrun it, and I ran into someone at a stable that said the Goron Village area has cooled off so you don’t need the heat armor anymore.

34 minutes ago, Biggie said:

Go back and play a few minutes of BotW. This feels like a sequel for sure. 

Yea, it's been forever since I played BOTW. I was just curious in how you guys felt, especially those further than me. 

27 minutes ago, CitizenVectron said:

Best is a moron who is asking moronic Fox News-style questions. This game is much larger than BOTW. DLC? Such a dumb statement. 

Seriously stop quoting me and attacking me. 

2 hours ago, best3444 said:

Definitely feels like a sequel playing this at 4k/60/hdr - feels like a proper gen upgrade!

:troll:

• Sicko 1

8 minutes ago, stepee said:

Definitely feels like a sequel playing this at 4k/60/hdr - feels like a proper gen upgrade!

:troll:

Well I watched Keysers vid and he wasn't really digging that attachment. Plus I didn't even notice an improvement. I'll stick with 480p 65inch.  😆 

2 minutes ago, best3444 said:

Well I watched Keysers vid and he wasn't really digging that attachment. Plus I didn't even notice an improvement. I'll stick with 480p 65inch.  😆 

To be clear, I never trust/bother with those upscale thingys. If a resolution is so low you’d consider getting those, it might look better but it’s not going to give you what you really want.

Im playing on pc so it’s actual 4k native/60fps with hdr. You also get increased shadow resolution, 16x AF for sharper textures and other fun stuff! Combined with this really pushing the Switch as far as it can go and you got the first time I’ve been impressed with how a Nintendo game looks on a tv since Gamecube!

• Shocked 1

2 minutes ago, stepee said:

To be clear, I never trust/bother with those upscale thingys. If a resolution is so low you’d consider getting those, it might look better but it’s not going to give you what you really want.

Im playing on pc so it’s actual 4k native/60fps with hdr. You also get increased shadow resolution, 16x AF for sharper textures and other fun stuff! Combined with this really pushing the Switch as far as it can go and you got the first time I’ve been impressed with how a Nintendo game looks on a tv since Gamecube!

Thanks for the advice. You deserve to see Zelda at its best so that's awesome. I'm satisfied with how things look and run so I'm fine.

4 minutes ago, best3444 said:

Thanks for the advice. You deserve to see Zelda at its best so that's awesome. I'm satisfied with how things look and run so I'm fine.

Honestly everyone deserves Zelda like this it’s just Nintendo is a mean mommy 

• Haha 1