January 6 Insurrection live hearings. UPDATE: Trump unanimously subpoenaed by committee

I think the hearing so far was well done, but I also can't help but feel like it's all rather toothless. With the Impeachment, the stakes were very clear. They were presenting information in order to make a specific judgment on Trump. With this hearing, everything felt desperately important, but also almost irrelevant. They're shouting from the rooftops how close we came to literally losing our democracy, but at the same time this hearing is not (at far as I was able to tell) about solutions or consequences. Maybe that comes in the following hearings, but I think as a framing device it's rather important to be consistent and clear about it.

Yes, it's important that we understand how much Trump did to incite Jan 6 and how little he did to diffuse the situation once it got out of hand. It's important to know that everyone around him was telling him that he lost the election, to give up on the big lie, and that many pleaded with him to do something to stop the violence. All that important information would have felt more vital if they were recommending Trump be prosecuted under the Insurrectionist Disqualification Clause like Cawthorn (at the very least).

It's also important to know that a bunch of GOP congresspeople sought pardons after Jan 6th, implying they thought they could be guilty of a crime, but it would be great if we got some insight as to if the committee looked into those potential crimes and enumerated what they might be and what the DOJ was going to do about it.

So yeah, I'll tune in and support any effort to educate the public as to what happened, but what I'm hoping for is some indication that those in power are going to do more than make a televised special.

• True 2
  • Halal 2

30 minutes ago, CitizenVectron said:

220610-jack-del-rio-se-336p-014996.jpg
WWW.NBCNEWS.COM

Head Coach Ron Rivera said Del Rio's words hurt the community and the fine will be donated to the U.S. Capitol Police Memorial Fund.

I guess he thought being a “Defensive Coordinator” He would know what a true Blitz on Washington would look like. 

2 minutes ago, Jason said:

I dunno, I think when you're involved in a coup attempt testifying about it comes before literally anything else. 

Sure, if you are willing to have your wife divorce you.  My wife was born without her father at the hospital because he didn't want to leave work that evening.  Needless to say, that marriage didn't last all that long.