January 6 Insurrection live hearings. UPDATE: Trump unanimously subpoenaed by committee

15 minutes ago, marioandsonic said:

It's shit like this that makes me wonder if it's even worth it to try and eat healthier, exercise, and lose weight.  If the alternative is dying in my 50s but not having to endure living another couple decades in a theocratic fascist state, what's the point?

Come on bro, deep down I know you know that this is a nonsense attitude 

13 minutes ago, marioandsonic said:

It is nonsense.  It's hopelessly nihilistic and defeatist.

So why can't I stop thinking that way?

You know what I’ve been telling myself lately? If I allow myself to be miserable, then these motherfuckers win. Give yourself something to really fight for.

• Like 2

It's not just me.  I'm mainly concerned for my one cousin.

She came out as a transgender woman.  She came out to me and the rest her extended family the day Biden was declared the winner of the election.  I still believe that the timing could not have been a coincidence.

She's getting married to her girlfriend in December.  By that time, the GOP will likely have been elected to take control over both branches of Congress, and my state may have elected a TV quack doctor for Senate and a QAnon whacko for governor.

Then by 2024, Trump could likely be elected president despite not actually winning the election.  Meanwhile, the GOP-controlled SCOTUS could overturn Obergefell v. Hodges by then.  So what does that mean?  By the mid 2020s, my cousin wouldn't be legally allowed to enter my state, just for the crime of being herself?  Will she be forced to a re-education camp?  Will she be mass executed along with those like her?

Fuck, I hate thinking about this shit.  The worst part is that other than voting, shouting into the wilderness is basically my only recourse.  Every day, with how ineffective the Dems have been, drives me further and further down this path of thinking, and I don't know what to do.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Spork3245 said:

When’s day 5? Tomorrow?

220616151047-01-jan-6-hearing-061622-sup
AMP.CNN.COM

The House select committee investigating the January 6 Capitol Hill insurrection is preparing to delay its next round of hearings into July, the committee's chairman...

Not resuming until after July 11th? This is the worst mid-season finale ever. Tomorrow’s is at 3pm EDT

• Guillotine 1

1 hour ago, marioandsonic said:

It's not just me.  I'm mainly concerned for my one cousin.

She came out as a transgender woman.  She came out to me and the rest her extended family the day Biden was declared the winner of the election.  I still believe that the timing could not have been a coincidence.

She's getting married to her girlfriend in December.  By that time, the GOP will likely have been elected to take control over both branches of Congress, and my state may have elected a TV quack doctor for Senate and a QAnon whacko for governor.

Then by 2024, Trump could likely be elected president despite not actually winning the election.  Meanwhile, the GOP-controlled SCOTUS could overturn Obergefell v. Hodges by then.  So what does that mean?  By the mid 2020s, my cousin wouldn't be legally allowed to enter my state, just for the crime of being herself?  Will she be forced to a re-education camp?  Will she be mass executed along with those like her?

Fuck, I hate thinking about this shit.  The worst part is that other than voting, shouting into the wilderness is basically my only recourse.  Every day, with how ineffective the Dems have been, drives me further and further down this path of thinking, and I don't know what to do.

I get it. You hear, "Don't boo. Vote," and you think, "What else can I do? Vote harder?"

You know, a lot of this stuff pisses me off because the Trump Administration was clearly a criminal organization, his supporters clearly tried to violently keep power and attack the blue lives that they claimed mattered, and probably more than anything, this could have been prevented by Hillary winning in 2016 and Dems taking the Senate, but a bunch of people had to "protest" and now those people will not only not get what they want, but what they want may be reversed. And how many people were mocked on and after Election Night 2016 for "overreacting" or "Gee, it seems like a lot of the hate is coming from liberal for some reason HMM??" by some of the same people stunned at stuff like Roe v Wade probably being overturned?

My gf told me that I had a good reason to be mad at all this, but also said that I can't internalize it because it doesn't do me any good. She's right, but it can be easier said than done.

The cloud of this "slow-moving coup" is going to color things for a while, but the fact that many of us are aware of it is good. What you have to do is look at some of the good stuff that's happened. What's been done so far?

• A lot of people had tremendous help during COVID -- generous child care each month, $1400 stimulus, emergency paid leave, and enhanced food stamps.
  • We live in a country now that you can easily get a pill for COVID, COVID testing remains free, COVID shots and boosters are free and easily available, and the government is offering free at-home tests so everyone can get one, the last of which allowed me to catch my COVID and isolate quickly and easily.
  • A massive, decades-overdue infrastructure bill was signed that will allow people in poor areas with bad water to finally have clean water as their lead pipes are removed. It will expand electric charging stations to make it much easier to road trip on electric. It will help repair and expand airports, bridges, and roads across the nation. It'll expand broadband to more areas, including rural areas with worse internet. And despite Trump throwing a tantrum because he failed to get one signed and threatening Republicans who vote for it, it easily had enough votes to surpass the filibuster. 
  • The USPS is FINALLY being fixed after bleeding money for 16 years. The USPS reform is long overdue.
  • The Violence Against Women Act was reinstated.
  • The Ending Forced Arbitration of Sexual Assault and Sexual Harassment Act was signed, which eliminates employers from requiring a woman sign an NDA, buying their silence. It will free so many women who were bought into silence by their lousy employer since it's applied retroactively.
  • No more worrying about Justice Breyer. Ketanji Brown Jackson will replace him and she broke another barrier on the nation's highest court.
  • Democrats now control the FTC, which is pursuing anti-trust laws and wants to roll back non-competes.
  • Even though Build Back Better couldn't get through the Senate, a lot of states are pursuing stuff like paid leave on their own.
  • Biden and Democrats are putting judges on the bench at a record rate, which is needed since part of why we've been in a mess is due to the number of Republican judges on the bench.
  • Paris Agreement is back.
  • And on that note, the dumb move from the Trump administration to disallow California from setting its own auto pollution rules is gone; Biden directed the EPA to restore that authority.
  • There's actually a gun bill being debated in the Senate right now. Jury's still out, but we haven't even gotten that far in a while.

I think things would be much more exciting if Build Back Better passed the Senate and paid leave/universal Pre-K were becoming a thing, but getting rid of Trump and winning the Senate has done a lot of good for us. So it's not just that bad things happened under Trump and we haven't gotten anything since; a lot of good has come out of the past 16 months. It's not hopeless, and many people are being helped.

• Thanks 1
  • Halal 2

1 hour ago, Spork3245 said:

220616151047-01-jan-6-hearing-061622-sup
AMP.CNN.COM

The House select committee investigating the January 6 Capitol Hill insurrection is preparing to delay its next round of hearings into July, the committee's chairman...

Not resuming until after July 11th? This is the worst mid-season finale ever. Tomorrow’s is at 3pm EDT

While I think it should just be daily hearings, I guess pushing some of the hearings into July at least extends it in the news cycle. It really needs to be daily hearings and the juiciest shit at primetime at least once a week until the election though.

1 minute ago, eViLgReEnMoNkEyS said:

Personally, I found the latest Young Sheldon episode to be thrilling and a lot of fun. Sheldon's sister gets into trouble with her Grandma because she took a valuable heirloom without asking. Eventually the family comes together and....

You know what, I don't want to spoil it for y'all. I'm telling you that your missing out though! 

Yes we read what you wrote the first time. 

• Halal 1

32 minutes ago, eViLgReEnMoNkEyS said:

Sometimes in life, you have to make other people happy at your own expense. It's one of those life lessons that you learn pretty quick after a life event like getting married or becoming a Father. 

Sometimes that significant other has different tastes and you've got to learn to mold your likes and dislikes to better suit your kindred. Because at the end of the day, you are happy that they are happy, and to see joy on your family's faces is worth the cheap entertainment that brings it. 

Tl;Dr, I taught myself how to cook while the misses and the youngun can relax, now have an almost encyclopedic knowledge of primetime sitcoms

That's cool that you developed the skills to cook and stuff.

I'm terrified of cooking.  I feel like I'm going to set my whole apartment on fire at any given moment.  I can't cook steak on the stovetop without causing my smoke alarm to go off, and I hate it.

2 minutes ago, eViLgReEnMoNkEyS said:

SFLUfan runs this joint now? Good for him! I remember him as a wee lad back on IGN.

Also, I'm not trolling, I know how much of an echo chamber this place is, so I understand that this might be a difficult concept to grasp. But alas, I'm going to try.

A difference of opinion isn't trolling, in the real world you have to deal with people who don't agree with you and won't agree with you no matter how much you argue with them 😉

And this is why I don't talk to anyone else in public.  I don't want to make anyone else uncomfortable in public, so I just keep my mouth shut.  Granted, I haven't heard any extreme opinions, but still.

1 hour ago, marioandsonic said:

Anyone who thinks Young Sheldon (and by extension, The Big Bang Theory) is good needs to be dragged out into the street and shot.  There, I said it.

My mom likes The Big Bang Theory. :(

10 minutes ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

I've made it this far by not doing that at all so I see no reason to start now.

Just like freedom of religion includes freedom from religion, freedom of association includes freedom from association. :twothumbsup:

31 minutes ago, eViLgReEnMoNkEyS said:

SFLUfan runs this joint now? Good for him! I remember him as a wee lad back on IGN.

Also, I'm not trolling, I know how much of an echo chamber this place is, so I understand that this might be a difficult concept to grasp. But alas, I'm going to try.

A difference of opinion isn't trolling, in the real world you have to deal with people who don't agree with you and won't agree with you no matter how much you argue with them 😉

Nah dawg, you are just being an obnoxious twat. 

I don't care if you don't care about these trials. If you have something worth contributing to this thread regardless if they go against popular sentiment here I don't give a shit. I might argue against you but thats all good.  And if you are an IGN veteran then you are probably 40+ and that is just sad. Grow up.

lol, I've had a continuum of IGN boards, Bad Cartridge, and D1P for 20 years.  

Someday I'll be telling my great grandkids about how a noted Canadian heyyouDVD would regularly orgasm to anything Republicans would do in America, and other sordid tales from the years I've spent on here.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • Sicko 1
  • Halal 1

37 minutes ago, marioandsonic said:

And this is why I don't talk to anyone else in public.  I don't want to make anyone else uncomfortable in public, so I just keep my mouth shut.  Granted, I haven't heard any extreme opinions, but still.

How about this for an alternative approach?

Instead of fearing that you will make someone uncomfortable, take the position that they haven't earned the privilege of having you talk to them!

• Halal 1

Just now, eViLgReEnMoNkEyS said:

I thought he was from India or something...

I remember him complaining a lot about how white people smell terrible. I forget the exact context that always brought that up however...

I do remember an excitable German guy that was one of the first non-IGN users to find the board. I forget his username though...

:demut: