Pedo guy megalomaniacal manchild officially owns Twitter

e2a4ec247faceb6884b8cedb4307292f
FINANCE.YAHOO.COM

(Bloomberg) -- In the weeks after Elon Musk acquired Twitter Inc., hundreds of advertisers paused spending on the platform, wary of the changes the mercurial billionaire might bring to the social media platform. Months later, many still haven’t returned, despite efforts by Twitter’s sales team to woo them back with steep discounts and new safety tools.Most Read from BloombergTrump Faces Fingerprints, Mug Shot...

In recent days, a bunch of high profile people and businesses have come out stating they wont be paying for Twitter Blue nor reimbursing employees that pay for it. 

:duckhuntdog:

13 hours ago, Remarkableriots said:
Musk-for-FHI-letter-story-e1680084690852
FORTUNE.COM

The letter urges technology companies to immediately cease training any A.I. systems that would be "more powerful than GPT-4."

2 hours ago, SuperSpreader said:

John Carmack is gonna kill us all. @legend

The open letter is immense BS and many of the signatories were suckered by the cult that is The Future of Life Institute. FLI has a history of getting experts to sign onto open letters for some sensible parts they include in their letters along with their more extreme ideas. They will even argue with you and try to guilt you into signing it to support the sensible parts since those parts are important. Then they always focus the extreme parts once they go public and use the signatures to give the illusion that experts agree with their nonsense in its entirety. I know multiple people who got burned by this tactic on this letter. Many are trying to back pedal now with the fallout or at least clarify they don't agree with all of it.

More people need to understand that FLI is a cult.

For some perspective on that, the FLI letter cites the Stochastic Parrots paper as evidence that experts agree with their claims, and the authors of the paper were none too pleased that they were disingenuously co-opted. You can see their response here:

8ba934ca12f0a32532ca9cca98d37500b7641e93
WWW.DAIR-INSTITUTE.ORG

We are an interdisciplinary and globally distributed AI research institute.

• Thanks 2

44 minutes ago, legend said:

The open letter is immense BS and many of the signatories were suckered by the cult that is The Future of Life Institute. FLI has a history of getting experts to sign onto open letters for some sensible parts they include in their letters along with their more extreme ideas. They will even argue with you and try to guilt you into signing it to support the sensible parts since those parts are important. Then they always focus the extreme parts once they go public and use the signatures to give the illusion that experts agree with their nonsense in its entirety. I know multiple people who got burned by this tactic on this letter. Many are trying to back pedal now with the fallout or at least clarify they don't agree with all of it.

More people need to understand that FLI is a cult.

For some perspective on that, the FLI letter cites the Stochastic Parrots paper as evidence that experts agree with their claims, and the authors of the paper were none too pleased that they were disingenuously co-opted. You can see their response here:

8ba934ca12f0a32532ca9cca98d37500b7641e93
WWW.DAIR-INSTITUTE.ORG

We are an interdisciplinary and globally distributed AI research institute.

I figured there was something behind this like that but what is the benefit to them to try to it restraints on AI? Is it to make sure they are the (only) ones with the keys to use the technology for their own purposes?

1 hour ago, stepee said:

I figured there was something behind this like that but what is the benefit to them to try to it restraints on AI? Is it to make sure they are the (only) ones with the keys to use the technology for their own purposes?

If we took them as wholly honest actors, these people believe that AIs will transform from low intelligence to all-powerful genies who will destroy mankind in a matter of weeks, simply by thinking really hard. The AIs won't need to do, you know, science that requires interacting with the world, to advance even. It can just think really hard for those few weeks on the data that exists and divine all the missing answers to the universe. (No, I'm not kidding, this is what they believe.)

Of course, that's only if AI isn't solely developed by the "right people"--mostly philosophers. If the right people work in secret on AI, they can make a benevolent genie instead that will allow trillions upon trillions of future simulated humans to exist and colonize the universe. All current social issues are irrelevant to this goal because what's millions of people suffering to a potential future of trillions of trillions of happy virtual people? You might be starting to see why this particular branch is called "The Future of Life Institute."

So consequently, they want to be the ones in charge of AI development and they want all the funding for their "safety work" which is typically bad mathematics and decision theory with manufactured problems because they don't actually understand the basics. And those who claim to be on their side and are influential are often the most irresponsible when it comes to AI tech. Elon Musk, for example, likes to sign on to these things and play the savior from the big bad AI genie, while simultaneously beta testing his shitty autonomous driving on the general public.

There's those among them for whom this is probably just a convenient set of beliefs to empower themselves and they get to pretend to be the savior at the same time. I suspect it's a combination of "true believers" and people in it solely for the convenience. Some probably only partially believe it, but believe enough of it to go along. Sam Bankman-Fried is among their cult, and we saw how well that turned out. I think the primary person responsible for this "movement" Eliezer Yudkowsky drinks his own koolaid though and honestly he's starting to sound dangerous. 

• Thanks 2

On 3/30/2023 at 5:46 PM, Greatoneshere said:

I imagine working on Law & Order for so long has contributed greatly to a black rapper getting into copaganda. :p I mean, he even had a controversial song called Cop Killer come out in 1992!

I let him slide because he get's he is playing a sanitized idealized version of the police. His show is the ideal not the reality.

For example the only people I know that know what the word narc is. All know it's a negative thing. (You love films and I finally watch training day. Jumped the shark at the end but I couldn't be a narc if I was threatened with death.) The alienation from "I want to help my community" to "Am I even helping?". Isn't something I'd want to have to cope with willingly. 

• True 1

On 3/31/2023 at 2:18 AM, Remarkableriots said:
Musk-for-FHI-letter-story-e1680084690852
FORTUNE.COM

The letter urges technology companies to immediately cease training any A.I. systems that would be "more powerful than GPT-4."

Other than ensuring they are the only ones driving the car… I wonder what scary thing they discovered their toy can do that suddenly gave them pause.. what  dark not for “everyone” info did this thing unearth

1 hour ago, 5timechamp said:

Other than ensuring they are the only ones driving the car… I wonder what scary thing they discovered their toy can do that suddenly gave them pause.. what  dark not for “everyone” info did this thing unearth

Their own shadows.

1 hour ago, 5timechamp said:

It's not that AI needs to be actual intelligence, or competent. It may already be at play at the political level. In a way it's the great leveller, in that now you don't need Mercer or Koch money to subsidize whatever the fuck you want.

On 3/31/2023 at 4:44 PM, legend said:

If we took them as wholly honest actors, these people believe that AIs will transform from low intelligence to all-powerful genies who will destroy mankind in a matter of weeks, simply by thinking really hard. The AIs won't need to do, you know, science that requires interacting with the world, to advance even. It can just think really hard for those few weeks on the data that exists and divine all the missing answers to the universe. (No, I'm not kidding, this is what they believe.)

Of course, that's only if AI isn't solely developed by the "right people"--mostly philosophers. If the right people work in secret on AI, they can make a benevolent genie instead that will allow trillions upon trillions of future simulated humans to exist and colonize the universe. All current social issues are irrelevant to this goal because what's millions of people suffering to a potential future of trillions of trillions of happy virtual people? You might be starting to see why this particular branch is called "The Future of Life Institute."

So consequently, they want to be the ones in charge of AI development and they want all the funding for their "safety work" which is typically bad mathematics and decision theory with manufactured problems because they don't actually understand the basics. And those who claim to be on their side and are influential are often the most irresponsible when it comes to AI tech. Elon Musk, for example, likes to sign on to these things and play the savior from the big bad AI genie, while simultaneously beta testing his shitty autonomous driving on the general public.

There's those among them for whom this is probably just a convenient set of beliefs to empower themselves and they get to pretend to be the savior at the same time. I suspect it's a combination of "true believers" and people in it solely for the convenience. Some probably only partially believe it, but believe enough of it to go along. Sam Bankman-Fried is among their cult, and we saw how well that turned out. I think the primary person responsible for this "movement" Eliezer Yudkowsky drinks his own koolaid though and honestly he's starting to sound dangerous. 

Sounds like they just want to be the fantasy version of freemasons and using a total control of all AI technology to accomplish that goal. Almost just openly saying that they want to make sure they are part of an exclusive club that controls the world. Ambitious, I respect the hustle.

38 minutes ago, b_m_b_m_b_m said:

I keep forgetting about the groundbreaking journalism that twitter does, silly me

Not to mention for his tweet to make sense it would be more like "the NY Times writers pay the NY Times to write articles" to be more similar to "people pay twitter to be verified (to write?)"

2 hours ago, stepee said:

Sounds like they just want to be the fantasy version of freemasons and using a total control of all AI technology to accomplish that goal. Almost just openly saying that they want to make sure they are part of an exclusive club that controls the world. Ambitious, I respect the hustle.

That's probably more true than I'm comfortable with. They will always tell you they're doing what they do for the benefit of all mankind, but the fact that they so specifically benefit from their "altruistic" efforts is extremely suspect. Some of the worst actors in our history would tell you they do what they do for the benefit of mankind, so it's not like this would be new.

• Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, jinx8402 said:

Either a 51 man child is forcing twitter to rebrand it's logos to doge dog, or firing all your engineers made an april fools joke 2 days late.

Either one is funny actaully, but not in the way he thinks it was funny.

Or its a pump and dump. 

spacer.png

• True 1

21 minutes ago, legend said:

That's probably more true than I'm comfortable with. They will always tell you they're doing what they do for the benefit of all mankind, but the fact that they so specifically benefit from their "altruistic" efforts is extremely suspect. Some of the worst actors in our history would tell you they do what they do for the benefit of mankind, so it's not like this would be new.

Definitely sounds like this organization is something to watch if it starts expanding it’s influence, so I appreciate your insight on them!

• Hugs 1

1 hour ago, GeneticBlueprint said:

Where were/are people seeing that? I didn't notice it.

Loading page, and the bird got replaced with the dogecoin dog in the upper-left. I'm not sure if it's visible anywhere in the app though.

image.png

2 hours ago, Oberon said:

How soon until someone pretends to be a celebrity or company that used to be verified and then musk and Twitter get sued for allowing identity theft 

Umm as soon as paid twitter blue was a thing. I'm impressed they didn't get sued already for what happen back then. Once legacy checkmarks are gone it's going to be a free for all.

The case is not nearly as strong when there is a means of being verified, but people don’t want to do it because there is now a nominal fee for that service. But won’t stop people from trying.

2 hours ago, sblfilms said:

The case is not nearly as strong when there is a means of being verified, but people don’t want to do it because there is now a nominal fee for that service. But won’t stop people from trying.

I think it depends on how well Twitter verifies people. If they do as terrible of a job as they did the last time around, that'll be an issue. Actual brands had their verified status, but that didn't stop impersonators from going viral.

6 hours ago, Jason said:

Loading page, and the bird got replaced with the dogecoin dog in the upper-left. I'm not sure if it's visible anywhere in the app though.

image.png

It is not visible in the app.

But good lord could this be any more of a farce?