Pedo guy megalomaniacal manchild officially owns Twitter

WWW.THEVERGE.COM

Laid-off employees were blindsided by the news.

Really demonstrates how dumb Musk is. Tesla could (and maybe should) pivot to being a charging station provider since everyone is going to use their standard (and I assume pay them royalty fees)...but that only works if you continue to build out the network and make people want to use your standard. If the network stops growing, then the other manufacturers are going to make their own standard to replace it.

EDIT - It turns out that Tesla doesn't get royalties from the charging format, as I guess it had to become public domain in order to get certain government grants.

Word on the street is that the reason the policy and charging teams were axed is: Musk ordered all departments to fire 10% of people across the board. The heads of these two departments pushed back, saying their areas were incredibly successful and profitable. Musk, seeing this as disloyalty and insubordination (and in a drug-fueled fever) fired both departments entirely. Is this true? Possibly, or just part of it. Does it seem possibly true? Yes, and that demonstrates how unreliable he is as a CEO.

This is what @hwalker84 just posted on ResetERA:

My friend was on that team.

Internally employees left at Tesla are calling this the "Snap". My friend was building over 10 new sites and breaking ground on 3 others. Contractors are getting fucked and have no one to contact. Overnight 100's of sites with 100's of contractors, design companies and suppliers working on them are just in limbo with not a single person from Tesla reaching out to them and their contact laid off. Lots of layoffs are going to be tied to this.

Not only does this affect the building of new sites there's now not a single employee that can perform maintenance at any of these locations.

What happens to the gigafactory in Buffalo that only manufactures supercharger equipment?

I would love to take a look at the contract(s) language of the impacted contractors. Usually there is boiler plate to cover all of this kind of boneheaded eventuality. Of course, in the interim the little people have their lives torn apart.  

:facepalm:

God musk is a fucking idiot. How long until other EV makers announce they are reversing using Tesla chargers as the NA standard after this? I know they said recently they're still moving forward, but I'm sure they will start to change course once the breadth of the impact is known.

26 minutes ago, chakoo said:

:facepalm:

God musk is a fucking idiot. How long until other EV makers announce they are reversing using Tesla chargers as the NA standard after this? I know they said recently they're still moving forward, but I'm sure they will start to change course once the breadth of the impact is known.

I doubt that automakers will reverse this decision even if Tesla doesn't build a single new supercharger station. By now it may already be too late to change it back for the upcoming model year, but even if it's not being able to access existing superchargers is still a massive boon.

It does seem like the worst possible time to do this though. Supercharger exclusivity or no, superchargers are a big business for Tesla. Musk loves to talk about Telsa as more than a car company, and the superchargers are arguably the best evidence that all that talk might be true. It's already a multi-billion dollar business, and they not only have a head start in installs, but a huge lead in product. Their chargers are simply the best. This is the time to capitalize on that lead. In a near future where EVs make up the majority of cars sold, being the biggest name in charging must be worth a fortune. Hard to say off the cuff how that business compares to the business of selling cars, but it's certainly nothing to scoff at.

I wonder what mechanisms, if any, exist to get Musk out of that position. Dude is clearly unstable and actively damaging not only the company but the industry as a whole.  :/

My hope is that these 500 people will be quickly snapped up by other companies working in the charger space. What a shitbag move by Musk. 

2 minutes ago, Nokra said:

I wonder what mechanisms, if any, exist to get Musk out of that position.

None since Tesla's board of directors is stacked with sycophants.

Shareholders would have to remove most of the board first, then the new board would have to fire him as CEO.

• Sad 1

On 4/30/2024 at 11:37 AM, CitizenVectron said:

Signs of a strong company.

4 hours ago, CitizenVectron said:
WWW.THEVERGE.COM

Laid-off employees were blindsided by the news.

Really demonstrates how dumb Musk is. Tesla could (and maybe should) pivot to being a charging station provider since everyone is going to use their standard (and I assume pay them royalty fees)...but that only works if you continue to build out the network and make people want to use your standard. If the network stops growing, then the other manufacturers are going to make their own standard to replace it.

EDIT - It turns out that Tesla doesn't get royalties from the charging format, as I guess it had to become public domain in order to get certain government grants.

Word on the street is that the reason the policy and charging teams were axed is: Musk ordered all departments to fire 10% of people across the board. The heads of these two departments pushed back, saying their areas were incredibly successful and profitable. Musk, seeing this as disloyalty and insubordination (and in a drug-fueled fever) fired both departments entirely. Is this true? Possibly, or just part of it. Does it seem possibly true? Yes, and that demonstrates how unreliable he is as a CEO.

Why won’t someone get this man his $56billion!!!

Clap Reaction GIF

36 minutes ago, Ricofoley said:
ELECTREK.CO

We are getting more information on the ongoing layoffs at Tesla. Several employees describe the situation as Elon Musk “throwing...

lol. lmao.

Several sources confirmed that there are rumors around Tesla that the vehicle engineering and design departments are next.

• Haha 1

On 5/1/2024 at 10:25 AM, Nokra said:

My hope is that these 500 people will be quickly snapped up by other companies working in the charger space. What a shitbag move by Musk. 

I'd love to see anyone with ambition in the space to just hire the whole team. So many big companies are entering this space that could absorb them. Mercedes, Electrify America (VW), Rivian, GM, and basically every other automaker are doing something. I was just listening to a podcast with the head of Merc and they said Merc was getting into building out a "critical mass" of chargers in the US and they were going to hand that project to their "customer experiences" team that mostly does things like sell insurance. Hiring a whole group that already knows everything sure seems like a way to supercharge that project.

• Halal 1

But some workers in the EV industry think the layoffs could be a way for Musk to restructure the supercharger team — and make it better.

Andres Pinter, co-CEO of Bullet EV Charging Solutions, an EV chargepoint installer that works on Tesla's network, told Reuters that "there's no way Musk would walk away from effectively free money."

"It may be possible Mr. Musk will reconstitute the EV charger team in a bigger, badder, more Muskian way," Pinter said.

Cringe

• True 1

3 minutes ago, Greatoneshere said:

Not if your visa depended on it! Musk fucking sucks.

True. Bu as for this Andres Pinte:

CO-CEO

Prior to co-founding Bullet EV Charging Solutions, Andres was a senior member of the investment team at Ares Management, a $400 billion alternative asset fund investing across credit, private equity, real estate, and infrastructure strategies. Among its strengths, Ares is a leader in financing companies in the renewable energy, energy storage, and vehicle electrification sectors. At Ares, Andres originated new investments as well as providing day-to-day oversight of Ares’ existing portfolio companies. Earlier in his career, Andres held senior leadership roles at Deloitte, Ernst & Young, and Houlihan Lokey. Mr. Pinter holds a B.A. from Cornell University in Government and an M.B.A. from Columbia Business School concentrating in Finance.

Sounds like he is doing this for the taste of musk’s….musk

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, b_m_b_m_b_m said:

True. Bu as for this Andres Pinte:

Sounds like he is doing this for the taste of musk’s….musk

I mean, we got people saying real men wear diapers as a positive. Perhaps we've underestimated how much people like being beta'd by people like this since we're talking about diapers and all, man children ready to lead us into the future.

1*k33AVNYPIikFX90BPFcytQ@2x.jpeg

• Halal 1

ELECTREK.CO

After firing its Supercharger team, Tesla is unsurprisingly finding it hard to manage contractors who previously worked with the team.

Literally no forethought:

But in the interim, we’ve already heard about Supercharger projects being cancelled, including halting rollout in the entire country of Australia, including sites that had already been subject to long-term leases and given the go-ahead for construction which will now be abandoned.

The people fired include the team responsible for integrating other car manufacturers onto Tesla's standard:

Worst of all, it really throws other automakers into chaos. Tom Moloughney stated today that he has heard from his industry contacts that at least one major automaker has had a serious meeting already to decide if they should continue with the NACS adoption. He further reported that some of his industry contacts have reached out to him to see if he has any way to literally contact anyone still in the SC department at Tesla because Tesla has agreements with these automakers to work together to onboard them into the system and suddenly everyone is just gone.

• Sad 1

Oh, and what is Tesla's board focusing on, right now? Getting Musk his $47 billion payment package.

WWW.BUSINESSINSIDER.COM

Tesla is again urging shareholders to approve CEO Elon Musk's multibillion-dollar pay package that a Delaware judge vetoed.

If it wasn't clear to anyone, Musk's entire goal at this point is pretty obviously just to extract as much cash as possible before Tesla goes under/he is somehow booted out. Likely due to his debt obligations with Twitter.