Pedo guy megalomaniacal manchild officially owns Twitter

6 minutes ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

Of course it's a "gross oversimplification", but it doesn't change the notion that "free market economics" found a more fertile ground in Protestant societies than Catholic ones owing to theological differences on how the accumulation of wealth was viewed.

I'm not sure that's even true though, historically, unless you are very peculiar about how you define "free market economics". Just as one counter example, I probably don't have to explain where the very idea of laissez-faire capitalism comes from, right? And that predates thinkers like Adam Smith by quite a bit.

2 minutes ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

There really is nothing vague about the valuation of IP rights - it's just as legitimate a measure of wealth as a stock portfolio.

If true then to me that'd just mean that wealth as measured by stock portfolio is illegitimate :D

24 minutes ago, Demut said:

I'm not sure that's even true though, historically, unless you are very peculiar about how you define "free market economics". Just as one counter example, I probably don't have to explain where the very idea of laissez-faire capitalism comes from, right? And that predates thinkers like Adam Smith by quite a bit.

In France, the notion of laissez-faire capitalism arose well after the arrival of the Reformation and the Renaissance when the influence and power of the Catholic Church had begun to decline, even in states where it remained the dominant denomination.  Furthermore, the consolidation of political power by the Bourbon dynasty also contributed to the weakening of the French Catholic Church as an independent entity (God knows how many times the Bourbon kings clashed with the Papacy over everything!).  Additionally, France had a substantial Protestant Huguenot population who were significantly represented among the merchant bourgeoisie.

In Catholic nations where the Church retained much of its original strength (Spain), the effects of this mode of economic thinking were far less pronounced.

1 hour ago, Demut said:

If true then to me that'd just mean that wealth as measured by stock portfolio is illegitimate :D

The methodology for the dermining the value of IP rights is practically identical to the methodology for the determining the price of a stock:  the calculation of the current value of future cash flows from that asset through the application of an appropriate discount rate.

23 minutes ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

The notion of laissez-faire capitalism arose well after the arrival of the Reformation and the Renaissance when the influence and power of the Catholic Church had begun to decline, even in states where it remained the dominant denomination.  For example, France had a substantial Protestant Huguenot population who were significantly represented among the merchant bourgeoisie.

Given that this invention took place way after the French Wars of Religion and the Edict of Fontainebleau, it feels weird to attribute it to the Huguenots (since by that time they had already been almost entirely displaced). Similarly, preceding related innovations like mercantilism also took place before the Reformation. Your hypothesis sounds like one of those Grand Narratives to be honest. You know, the kind that seems plausible at first and is satisfying because of its neatness and presumed explanatory power but only works by disregarding contradictory evidence. The ones that post-modernism criticized so sharply. Like Marxism, the Enlightenment or the various silly theories about why empires decline ("muh vitality vs. decadence" and such).

28 minutes ago, Demut said:

Given that this invention took place way after the French Wars of Religion and the Edict of Fontainebleau, it feels weird to attribute it to the Huguenots (since by that time they had already been almost entirely displaced). Similarly, preceding related innovations like mercantilism also took place before the Reformation. Your hypothesis sounds like one of those Grand Narratives to be honest. You know, the kind that seems plausible at first and is satisfying because of its alleged explanatory power but only works by disregarding contradictory evidence. The ones that post-modernism criticized so sharply. Like Marxism, the Enlightenment or the various silly theories about why empires decline ("muh vitality vs. decadence" and such).

I'm not necessarily attributing it entirely to the Huguenots, but I am suggesting that some degree of the "Protestant influence" (perhaps a bit from their Dutch Protestant pals?) was a contributing factor among others to the development of that mode of economic thinking in France whereas I see no evidence of similar economic movements in very Catholic, very mercantilist Spain.

Heck, the French Revolution was essentially a revolt of the capitalists against the mercantilists, and that thing nearly obliterated the Catholic Church in France!  Coincidence?  I think not!

3 hours ago, Kal-El814 said:

This is certainly more common all the time, but again, I don't think it's reasonable for laypeople to conclude that the reason your job uses one is that they have control over Okta or whatever, and not your texts. "Normal people" just don't think about this because they don't have to. They'd think a password like ygHytb$1 is more secure than horseysurprise+Twitteraccount1 because it's "more random."

Normal people need to be encouraged to keep up, then. This is a step in that direction. 

11 hours ago, Kal-El814 said:

They'd think a password like ygHytb$1 is more secure than horseysurprise+Twitteraccount1 because it's "more random."

Well, websites' insistence on cramming as many different characters in a password isn't helping that impression.  Password length >>> character variety. P$?ai5_! looks secure according to these stupid requirements that websites ask your password to meet and yet it's many, many orders of magnitude more easy to bruteforce than lmaotrycrackingthispwlosers despite the latter having only lowercase letters.

9 hours ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

and that thing nearly obliterated the Catholic Church in France!

Along with nearly any other church :p

20 hours ago, Demut said:

Yikes, that sounds mighty patronizing. Right in line with the self-proclaimed intelligentsia that patted themselves on the back for "fortifying" the election, actually.

I feel like you should be well aware of the long civilization-length running facts about the dangers of propaganda and how people are susceptible to it. If you think acknowledging that danger is patronizing, I don't care.

20 hours ago, Demut said:

Huh, so the issue is that his "platform"/reach is too big? That's another bizarre take from where I'm standing, especially considering the point I raised earlier regarding Twitter's previous heads. It's not like the reach changed (unless Musk's claims about increased engagement number are true), just what is being spread. And it's not like they were all about neutral, factual information back then.

Closer, but that's till not a complete description of the situation. But you're changing the topic again with more whataboutism without conceding anything about the original topic. I fear you're going to circle back to making the same original argument all over again if we pursue it, like you've already done in this thread. So I'm going to end the discussion here.

What whataboutism? Worrying about the dangers of propaganda posed by Musk owning Twitter is pretty fucking rich when it's been a mainstay on there for years. Had Twitter been some beacon of neutrality before Musk took it over, sure, you'd have a point. Meanwhile in reality, as I've said like thrice now, all that ultimately changed was the flavor of the propaganda and maybe the methods (boosting content versus deboosting it, although I wouldn't be surprised if both had already been done behind the scences; as is I just know about the latter for a fact).

Me pointing that out isn't changing the topic or deflecting your point, it's honing in on a flaw in the argument. But whatever, suit yourself. No one's forcing you to discuss this.

14 minutes ago, thewhyteboar said:

FpbKusBaAAAtAag?format=jpg&name=medium

Elon doesn't want you to like this tweet criticizing Tesla. Go try it yourself, when you click like you get that little pop-up. Lol. 

I like that it doesn't even steer you toward any other sources, it's literally just "do your own research bro".

15 minutes ago, Jason said:
AL4AOS4RX5MPHANPGYXR2RUVYI.jpg
WWW.REUTERS.COM

Billionaire Elon Musk on Sunday accused the media of being racist against whites and Asians after U.S. newspapers dropped a white comic strip author who made derogatory comments about...

Apologies to everyone I’m close to that I will never love them as much as Musk loves apartheid. 

• Hugs 1

1238.jpg?width=1200&height=630&quality=8
WWW.THEGUARDIAN.COM

According to the New York Times, the executive behind paid-for premium service revamp is among those affected

:pikachu:(not really)

It would be interesting if someone has put together a current headcount as it's sounding like we're nearing a full on skeleton crew in terms of what is left.

4 minutes ago, chakoo said:

It would be interesting if someone has put together a current headcount as it's sounding like we're nearing a full on skeleton crew in terms of what is left.

I read that this would bring them down to around 1,600 employees (from the ~7,000 when he took over). Also read a joke post from someone (that I 100% believe could happen) that Musk will stop at 1,337.

1 minute ago, CitizenVectron said:

Also read a joke post from someone (that I 100% believe could happen) that Musk will stop at 1,337.

It's only dawned on me now that Elon's business acumen is just 'What would 14-year-old Shader do if given billions of dollars and ownership of popular businesses"

9 minutes ago, chakoo said:
1238.jpg?width=1200&height=630&quality=8
WWW.THEGUARDIAN.COM

According to the New York Times, the executive behind paid-for premium service revamp is among those affected

:pikachu:(not really)

I’m always surprised by the headcounts of these tech companies. They don’t seem to make much sense. I wouldn’t be surprised to see several more rounds of RIFs across the tech sphere as executives realize how many useless or redundant positions get created over the years.

1 hour ago, sblfilms said:

I’m always surprised by the headcounts of these tech companies. They don’t seem to make much sense. I wouldn’t be surprised to see several more rounds of RIFs across the tech sphere as executives realize how many useless or redundant positions get created over the years.

In tech, you end up needing more than you realize at scale. It's one thing when you're in a startup with only a few hundred/thousand concurrent users but when you start needing to scale to multiples you need a lot more people to keep it running, let alone needing staff to add new features.

While larger companies might have over hired during the pandemic (there was a large focus on remote staff in cheaper locations) most of the fluff in the layoffs are just for markets because most let go less than what they hired during the pandemic and some are still hiring again. I think people forget the start of the pandemic, a bunch of tech companies laid off staff under the guise of uncertainty but many I know just used it as an excuse to clean up some staff and went back to hiring in 6 months.

-edit-

I also think sometimes people forget about the auxiliary work done at larger companies that are generally needed to improve/smooth out development, for the parent company but also for others as well.