Pedo guy megalomaniacal manchild officially owns Twitter

2 hours ago, stepee said:

I wonder if from his point of view, demut wins every argument, since technically he does, since they are all with himself.

I mean ... I'm not sure if it's a win if my arguments aren't being addressed and all responses consist of shitposts. But no, I don't, since occasionally I just get it plain wrong (most recently in regard to the Columbine massacre in that mass shooting thread).

3 hours ago, legend said:

What do you want me to say more about then?

How him owning Twitter makes it worse than before. At MOST I see it as him continuing Twitter's usual fuckery in his own way. You've surely followed the release of the Twitter Files, right? Twitter's previous leadership was as partisan and biased as Musk if not more. And at least Musk isn't colluding with (or rather being subservient to) the fucking intelligence apparatus. More than that, he seems dedicated to a modicum of transparency if nothing else (albeit perhaps only as far as it suits him).

37 minutes ago, Demut said:

How him owning Twitter makes it worse than before. At MOST I see it as him continuing Twitter's usual fuckery in his own way. You've surely followed the release of the Twitter Files, right? Twitter's previous leadership was as partisan and biased as Musk if not more. And at least Musk isn't colluding with (or rather being subservient to) the fucking intelligence apparatus. More than that, he seems dedicated to a modicum of transparency if nothing else (albeit perhaps only as far as it suits him).

You seem to be changing the topic. This started by my telling you why telling people to block musk is not a solution to the problems inherent with what Musk is doing with Twitter. 

2 minutes ago, legend said:

You seem to be changing the topic. This started by my telling you why telling people to block musk is not a solution to the problems inherent with what Musk is doing with Twitter. 

I think that is the whole thing, just change the topic until you get a good opening to rant about dumb shit like the twitter files 

9 hours ago, Ricofoley said:

The new thing today is that you're being forced off of text message 2FA if you're not a blue check because Elon is too cheap to send the texts out. You can still use 2FA via authentication app, but I'm probably gonna make more of an active effort to stop using this site. Making big unannounced changes to 2FA when there's recent precedent for them breaking the site trying to make an update kinda seems like a red line.

I'm climbing to the stern and riding this bitch into the sea. 

11 hours ago, legend said:

Um, yeah, to which I responded by asking why it wasn't a solution. You then talked about "the larger social problem he’s presenting" which I asked you to elaborate on since I have no clue what you meant by that. But if that's "changing the topic" and you don't wanna explain yourself I guess that's that then.

5 minutes ago, Demut said:

Um, yeah, to which I responded by asking why it wasn't a solution. You then talked about "the larger social problem he’s presenting" which I asked you to elaborate on since I have no clue what you meant by that. But if that's "changing the topic" and you don't wanna explain yourself I guess that's that then.

So to be clear, you don't understand why a delusional egomaniac abusing twitter to force his shitty views on as many people as possible is a problem? Do you understand why Fox News is a problem? Do you understand why conspiracy theory rabbit hole recommendations on youtube is a problem? Do you understand why misinformation and propaganda is a problem in general?

If all this "forcing" amounts to him putting his tweets in your Twitter feed which, again, can be fairly easily addressed by just blocking him then no, I don't see why this is much of a problem. The comparisons also assume that he is acting maliciously whereas in reality he may (even accidentally or for the "wrong" reasons) have it right more often than not, thereby leading to a net benefit. Again, uncovering and publishing the rot previously present in Twitter is one such example. Used to be that whistleblowing was applauded on this board, I wonder what happened.

I don't know if you just think that before his acquisition Twitter was some sort of neutral platform there for the betterment of all mankind or something but as I said previously, at least from the way it looks like to me even if Musk were as biased as the previous leadership (which doesn't seem to be the case) then at most this change would present a shift in the direction of Twitter's partisanship, not a fundamental change from liberty to tyranny or whatever.

I have a feeling that your memories of this board being one that was more on board with your kind of thinking isn’t entirely accurate and I only say this because your avatar is literally used as a meme to express being oblivious and missing the point.

Not that you aren’t totally right and that Elon doesn’t need all the defense we can muster for him, I just mean that aspect seems far fetched

I can't even see Demut's posts, but you guys need to stop arguing with him and just put him on ignore. He will argue in loops infinitely, eventually breaking down your use of past or present-tense to try and win an argument. "You said that Musk did this thing, which is false, because in reality he is doing the thing currently. How do you address this improper use of tense in the English language? Please explain citing sources of English grammar from 1770-1820, widely seen as the period when tense was perfected." He clearly has issues with human interaction and understanding human intention (whether this comes from an autism spectrum disorder, or otherwise), and cannot be reasoned with. He is incapable of understanding high concept-arguments, and will devolve everything in the most pedantic shit. There's really no point.

• True 2
  • Halal 1

16 minutes ago, Demut said:

If all this "forcing" amounts to him putting his tweets in your Twitter feed which, again, can be fairly easily addressed by just blocking him then no,

And we're back to where we started about that not being a solution! Demut, you're all over the place on this. You keep popping between different stances and I don't see how we're going to address it here.

2 minutes ago, CitizenVectron said:

I can't even see Demut's posts, but you guys need to stop arguing with him and just put him on ignore. He will argue in loops infinitely, eventually breaking down your use of past or present-tense to try and win an argument. "You said that Musk did this thing, which is false, because in reality he is doing the thing currently. How do you address this improper use of tense in the English language? Please explain citing sources of English grammar from 1770-1820, widely seen as the period when tense was perfected." He clearly has issues with human interaction and understanding human intention (whether this comes from an autism spectrum disorder, or otherwise), and cannot be reasoned with. He is incapable of understanding high concept-arguments, and will devolve everything in the most pedantic shit. There's really no point.

Idk man, you’re also missing a lot of “ah gee golly shucks i’m surprised you guys don’t agree with this dumb right wing talking point, gee what happened? Here’s something really ignorant but also why is everyone so hostile as I continue to play dumb” type of stuff  and I think that might be new so your loss buddy

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, stepee said:

Idk man, you’re also missing a lot of “ah gee golly shucks i’m surprised you guys don’t agree with this dumb right wing talking point, gee what happened? Here’s something really ignorant but also why is everyone so hostile as I continue to play dumb” type of stuff  and I think that might be new so your loss buddy

Sounds like he is stuck in 2012, or something. I have a friend like that, he just kind of got frozen in time with what internet culture was like in ~2008 or so. Still uses the same info, memes, etc. Very sad. I am curious to know Demut's stance on trans issues, but I also don't want to hear it. 

It's pretty wild to see CitizenVectron et al. living in a parallel reality where I do all these outrageous things. I wonder if me calling him out on that previously is what made him block me, hard to come out and say "I don't actually have examples of you doing any of these hyperbolic things", after all.

17 minutes ago, legend said:

And we're back to where we started about that not being a solution!

Right, your argument why it wasn't is that he might eventually reverse the block. To which, in response, I pointed out how, unless it happens automatically immediately after, it still is a solution, just not a permanent one. To use a somewhat odd comparison: If you like not having a beard then one solution is shaving it regularly, even if it grows back. Shaving doesn't stop being a solution to the problem "having a beard" just because it's not permanent like something such as follicle removal would be. You never addressed this objection.

6 minutes ago, Demut said:

Right, your argument why it wasn't is that he might eventually reverse the block. 

No, that's not the reason, that's just the cherry on top for people who *will* block him. The reason it's a problem is because huge swaths of the population won't block him and they are not equipped to understand the delusional propaganda for what it is. 

The problem is not that I, nor anyone on this board, has to see his annoying tweets. We can (mostly) fix that or even just tolerate it to some degree when he reverse it. The problem is he's broadcasting his tweets to a huge population that's going to be taken in by his nonsense and me blocking him won't change that. This is why I made the comment that you're missing the forest for the trees.

You guys are really wasting your time. As soon as someone brings up the Twitter files that should tell you everything about what they're bringing to the discussion. There is no intelligent discussion to be had.

On to actual twitter news. Twitter is disabling SMS 2fa on non twitter blue accounts. Regular accounts will be forced to use an authenticator app instead. It's being done as a cost cutting method but to be honest most sites should force people off SMS and onto authenticators for better security (sms is susceptible to exploit).

• Halal 1

2 minutes ago, chakoo said:

On to actual twitter news. Twitter is disabling SMS 2fa on non twitter blue accounts. Regular accounts will be forced to use an authenticator app instead. It's being done as a cost cutting method but to be honest most sites should force people off SMS and onto authenticators for better security (sms is susceptible to exploit).

100%. I saw it as a good thing. Everybody should have an Authenticator on their phone at this point and any site worth its salt that’s providing 2FA should support that as well. 

• Halal 1

10 minutes ago, chakoo said:

You guys are really wasting your time. As soon as someone brings up the Twitter files that should tell you everything about what they're bringing to the discussion. There is no intelligent discussion to be had.

But it also says if you don't switch then you won't have access to your account or something.

10 minutes ago, GeneticBlueprint said:

100%. I saw it as a good thing. Everybody should have an Authenticator on their phone at this point and any site worth its salt that’s providing 2FA should support that as well. 

The thing is that SMS 2FA is still a hell of a lot better than nothing, and most people getting kicked off the SMS 2FA probably won't replace it with an authenticator app. This is also doubly myopic in light of their data breach issues. 

6 minutes ago, Keyser_Soze said:

But it also says if you don't switch then you won't have access to your account or something.

I'm sure they will walk that back to some extent because nothing worse to their DAU metrics like locking a seizable portion of your user-base out of their accounts.

2 minutes ago, Jason said:

The thing is that SMS 2FA is still a hell of a lot better than nothing, and most people getting kicked off the SMS 2FA probably won't replace it with an authenticator app. This is also doubly myopic in light of their data breach issues. 

It's a bit of a double edge sword, sure it's better than none but it's not secure method to protect your account and provides a false sense of security. People need to modernize on this and even consider a strong password management system (like 1Password) which can also manage their 2fa as well.

19 minutes ago, chakoo said:

I'm sure they will walk that back to some extent because nothing worse to their DAU metrics like locking a seizable portion of your user-base out of their accounts.

It's a bit of a double edge sword, sure it's better than none but it's not secure method to protect your account and provides a false sense of security. People need to modernize on this and even consider a strong password management system (like 1Password) which can also manage their 2fa as well.

Yeah allowing it for 2fa just teaches people to be comfortable with sms as a method and in the long term prevents them from actually securing their accounts. It makes it harder to get people to understand that it’s not the same thing as an auth app since so many places use it. The less it’s used the better. Getting people to understand our internal 2fa rules is a pain because they just keep coming back with “buttt it says I have 2fa enabled” yeah but I’m telling ya anything but the one you are using 

1 minute ago, GeneticBlueprint said:

Then they’re not very bright I guess.

I don't blame laypeople for thinking that something like SMS is more secure than an authenticator, since the presumption would be that only they have access to their own texts and it feels like using a third party app is giving whoever runs that app the keys to the house. There's nothing inherently intuitive about this.

22 minutes ago, GeneticBlueprint said:

Then they’re not very bright I guess.

16 minutes ago, Kal-El814 said:

I don't blame laypeople for thinking that something like SMS is more secure than an authenticator, since the presumption would be that only they have access to their own texts and it feels like using a third party app is giving whoever runs that app the keys to the house. There's nothing inherently intuitive about this.

Also, the main problem with SMS 2FA is that it's not that hard to social engineer your way into hijacking someone's cellphone account. So from an individual user perspective, SMS 2FA isn't that great. But it's not really gonna be feasible to hijack the cellphone account of each and every Twitter user, so from Twitter's perspective it's still a good aggregate method for keeping a lid on the number of data breach/account breach stories that come out, unless Twitter is being run by a fucking moron who wants to save a few pennies a month on SMS costs.

12 minutes ago, Kal-El814 said:

I mean it seems like any job where you have a login requires you to have 2FA Authenticator at some point. They’ve been around forever.