"Great Resignation" Update: MIT Sloan School of Management study indicates that "Toxic Culture" is driving the Great Resignation

30 minutes ago, Anathema- said:

Have you considered moving

29 minutes ago, Anathema- said:

Seriously though there are always fed gigs available. If I hear of anything around there I'll let you know. 

I appreciate any help I can get, but keep in mind I'm a two-time college dropout with few concrete skills. I would be willing to relocate for the perfect job, and I do mean perfect because having my sister close by is one of the few things that's kept me going the last few years. 

14 hours ago, TheLeon said:

I appreciate any help I can get, but keep in mind I'm a two-time college dropout with few concrete skills. I would be willing to relocate for the perfect job, and I do mean perfect because having my sister close by is one of the few things that's kept me going the last few years. 

What's your perfect job in this case

• 2 weeks later...
S2E-Culture-500-Sull-Great-Resignation-2
SLOANREVIEW.MIT.EDU

Data analysis reveals the top reasons behind the Great Resignation and actions managers can take to reduce attrition.

More than 40% of all employees were thinking about leaving their jobs at the beginning of 2021, and as the year went on, workers quit in unprecedented numbers.  Between April and September 2021, more than 24 million American employees left their jobs, an all-time record. As the Great Resignation rolls on, business leaders are struggling to make sense of the factors driving the mass exodus. More importantly, they are looking for ways to hold on to valued employees.

To better understand the sources of the Great Resignation and help leaders respond effectively, we analyzed 34 million online employee profiles to identify U.S. workers who left their employer for any reason (including quitting, retiring, or being laid off) between April and September 2021. The data, from Revelio Labs, where one of us (Ben) is the CEO, enabled us to estimate company-level attrition rates for the Culture 500, a sample of large, mainly for-profit companies that together employ nearly one-quarter of the private-sector workforce in the United States.

Sull_Great_Resignation_Fig_3.png

• Like 1

• Commissar SFLUFAN changed the title to "Great Resignation" Update: MIT Sloan School of Management study indicates that "Toxic Culture" is driving the Great Resignation

It's important to note that toxic culture combined with compensation is driving resignations. People will put up with a shitty job if the pay is good, but only up to a point. Likewise, people might be willing to work for a bit less if the workplace is awesome. But you can't rescue a workplace if either is on the extreme.

• True 1

“Corporate America has a toxic culture”

FL republicans: you ain’t seen shit yet

I distinctly getting into an argument with one of this board's centrist posters many years ago about how we should consider videotaping teachers in order to properly evaluate them. Well here’s your wish and I was Once Again Proven Right: such a process would only be used to harass teachers and do nothing to help students. 

• Guillotine 2

1 hour ago, CitizenVectron said:

It's important to note that toxic culture combined with compensation is driving resignations. People will put up with a shitty job if the pay is good, but only up to a point. Likewise, people might be willing to work for a bit less if the workplace is awesome. But you can't rescue a workplace if either is on the extreme.

I think also as runaway inflation continues, what was once acceptable pay is quickly not being acceptable. Raises and especially minimum wage were already completely disconnected from living expense and reality, and now this is coming to bear on employers.

34 minutes ago, CitizenVectron said:

State sucks and you believe the teachers are the problem:

1. Pay teachers less or have their union busted
  2. Lower requirements to teach
  3. Harass teachers all the time
  4. Micromanage and spy on teachers

"WhY dOeS oUr StAtE sUcK?!"

(obviously making education worse is one of the goals)

But their state can't suck it has freedom.

3 hours ago, b_m_b_m_b_m said:

I distinctly getting into an argument with one of this board's centrist posters many years ago about how we should consider videotaping teachers in order to properly evaluate them. Well here’s your wish and I was Once Again Proven Right: such a process would only be used to harass teachers and do nothing to help students. 

Bill Gates did a TED talk in 2013 and planned to spend $5 Billion to videotape teachers in order to get feedback and figure out what made some teachers more effective. I don't know if that went anywhere, but today it's an idea that certainly comes off as misguided naivete at best.

20 minutes ago, TwinIon said:

Bill Gates did a TED talk in 2013 and planned to spend $5 Billion to videotape teachers in order to get feedback and figure out what made some teachers more effective. I don't know if that went anywhere, but today it's an idea that certainly comes off as misguided naivete at best.

Plus, there's a marked difference between "let's find and record the best teachers to learn from their methods" and "I want to record all teachers to make sure they're not teaching my children that slavery and Nazis were bad."

43 minutes ago, TwinIon said:

Why stop there. Let's record CEOs, Congressmen, Judges. Let's find out what makes the best the best!

On 1/14/2022 at 10:39 AM, Commissar SFLUFAN said:
S2E-Culture-500-Sull-Great-Resignation-2
SLOANREVIEW.MIT.EDU

Data analysis reveals the top reasons behind the Great Resignation and actions managers can take to reduce attrition.

Sull_Great_Resignation_Fig_3.png

Pity I've never seen a single company give a shit in any meaningful way.  The responses are always the same.

Something forces them to take notice of employee attrition.  The CEO announces that they are aware and are forming focus groups, listening sessions, or sending surveys. They find out that everyone feels overworked and undervalued and that the solution is to hire more people and lower the standard of work to something more reasonable.  Both of those things cost money, so their actual solution is to have HR send out weekly mindfulness emails that tell you to take 60 seconds every few hours to think about yourself and to go outside more after work.  Sometimes they'll also tell the middle and lower managers to come up with fun activities for their regularly scheduled meetings.  I'd almost respect these companies more if the CEO was just like "we know you aren't happy, but you can find another job that may suck less and we'll attract and burn out someone else when you go"

It is incredibly difficult to shift a toxic culture to one that is not. Like any social space, if you’re not actively managing and curating your culture, the de facto behavior will drift towards what is as toxic as can be quietly tolerated because that’s the path of least resistance for most involved parties. This is why most attempts at culture change fail, even with shifts in management. It is not enough to merely say it will not be tolerated and act on things that are brought up, it needs to be sought out and eliminated.

4 minutes ago, Kal-El814 said:

It is incredibly difficult to shift a toxic culture to one that is not. Like any social space, if you’re not actively managing and curating your culture, the de facto behavior will drift towards what is as toxic as can be quietly tolerated because that’s the path of least resistance for most involved parties. This is why most attempts at culture change fail, even with shifts in management. It is not enough to merely say it will not be tolerated and act on things that are brought up, it needs to be sought out and eliminated.

I tell this to our staffs even about the way in which customers interact with our businesses. There is a lot of good research that shows consumers are more likely to throw trash away themselves if they don’t see trash on the floors and such. You create that culture by being absolute hawks on cleanliness. When you don’t make those active efforts, humanity to devolves to our base instincts. That doesn’t mean everybody does, but enough people do and it really ruins the whole thing.

GOOD community culture is something you have to fight to maintain. Bad shows up when there is a void.

7 hours ago, finaljedi said:

Pity I've never seen a single company give a shit in any meaningful way.  The responses are always the same.

Something forces them to take notice of employee attrition.  The CEO announces that they are aware and are forming focus groups, listening sessions, or sending surveys. They find out that everyone feels overworked and undervalued and that the solution is to hire more people and lower the standard of work to something more reasonable.  Both of those things cost money, so their actual solution is to have HR send out weekly mindfulness emails that tell you to take 60 seconds every few hours to think about yourself and to go outside more after work.  Sometimes they'll also tell the middle and lower managers to come up with fun activities for their regularly scheduled meetings.  I'd almost respect these companies more if the CEO was just like "we know you aren't happy, but you can find another job that may suck less and we'll attract and burn out someone else when you go"

This is the worst.

I can't pay my mortgage with a pizza party, mother fucker. 

But even worse, when you're anti-social stuff like this isn't just useless. It is actively worse than just working. 

But yeah, I hated it when the occasional memo would go out to managers to "improve the culture" with everything except the stuff the workers actually want and need.

One I hated was the "overly motivational, peep talk" managers.

Yeah, I know I'm doing a great job. I don't need you clapping in my ears to do my job. I've been doing a great job for the past 8 years and you fuckers haven't given me a raise.

14 minutes ago, Chairslinger said:

This is the worst.

But even worse, when you're anti-social stuff like this isn't just useless. It is actively worse than just working. 

But yeah, I hated it when the occasional memo would go out to managers to "improve the culture" with everything except the stuff the workers actually want and need.

Yeah, I know I'm doing a great job. I don't need you clapping in my ears to do my job. I've been doing a great job for the past 8 years and you fuckers haven't given me a raise.

"How do you like to be recognized?"

Ray Liotta Goodfellas voiceover: Fuck you. Pay me.

"Anything we can do to make this a better working environment?"

Fuck you. Pay me.

This is the answer to any question about making work better or whatever the fuck. Culture, perks, other shit... All meaningless to me for the right amount of money. Just fucking pay me enough so that budgeting isn't a high stress activity in my life.

• Thanks 1
  • Halal 1

My own company is dealing with this and it's bubbling to the surface. 

One example is our overtime policy. Due to labor laws, we have an Overtime policy that pays 1x time up to a certain salary. Beyond that, it's 0.6x of our rate. However, our overtime hours get billed fully to our clients. To complicate it, we have some employees that get bonuses and they don't get paid for overtime. 

So, in my case, I get $42 an hour. I work 40 hours, I make $1,680. 

If I work 45 hours, I get that normal $1,680, but the extra 5 hours I work doesn't mean I get $210. I only get $126. 

US labor law that allows this: 

WWW.DOL.GOV

The Fair Labor Standards Act (FLSA) establishes minimum wage, overtime pay, recordkeeping, and child labor standards affecting most full-time and part-time workers in the private sector and in federal, state, and local governments.

Our corporate leadership made this big announcement that this is going to change. No details yet, but they're looking to change it and address this. 

The best part is normal low and mid level workers are now being VOCAL about it DIRECTLY to the corporate leadership. 

This is pretty awesome to see. 

Here's a quote from a colleague of mine that posted this directly under the corporate guy's internal post about it:

Our current policy of paying this time at 60% of our normal hourly rate is counterintuitive and unethical in my opinion. My understanding is that our company bills our the clients at full rates for OT hours while telling our employees who are attempting to go above and beyond to deliver that their extra time is only valued at 60% by the company, with the company pocketing the difference in some manner... I'm guessing this policy may have been a remnant from an era when more employees were paid annual bonuses, but as a non-bonus employee who falls within category 2, I find our OT policy infuriating and illogical as it actively discourages me from working overtime. This would not be the case if I were being paid my normal hourly rate which seems like an easy/obvious fix unless I am missing something. My ideal work week is 40 hours so this isn't a case of wanting to use OT as a tool for being paid more, I just want to feel fairly compensated for each hour that I spend working.

While my pride and desire to deliver on my projects will continue to result in working/charging OT when circumstances require it, I always have a frown on my face when submitting my timesheet on an OT week.

And it's pretty hopeful to see the corporate guy respond this way...

I agree and this legacy discrepancy you refer is the one we are keen to address asap. Thank you for the clarity of the OT issue - nailed it!  I'll chase this up again - you and everyone else in this position deserve better. 

We're hemorrhaging people and we have too much work to spread around. We're scrambling to keep people. I've already been told that there's more money in the budget for wage increases this year. 

We'll see what that looks like. 

1 hour ago, Chairslinger said:

This is the worst.

I hated the kind of "group social" events at work. We'd have those pizza or catering for certain events like work anniversaries or some holidays and I always hated it. I get along with my coworkers, but I absolutely get that anti-social stuff you talk about. I'm good in groups of 2-4, and I have no problems being in large crowds. But groups like 15-25 people I hate. People just naturally coalesce into little groups of smalltalk that I hate to engage with. I hate it and just want to go back to my desk and work. Probably been the best part of this permanent WFH stuff.

18 hours ago, CayceG said:

My own company is dealing with this and it's bubbling to the surface.

*snip*

That's crazy, and definitely horrible labour law. At my own workplace, overtime is paid at 1.5x for the first hour, and then 2x every hour after. If it's work on a day that you weren't scheduled (so, weekends for us) then there is a minimum callout of 3 hours. So if the school division demands we do work on a Sunday for 45 minutes, then I get paid the equivalent of 5.5 hours. This exact situation happened with the log4j exploit, where I had to put in about 2 hours of work on a Saturday and then 1 hour on the Sunday. I got paid for the equivalent of 11 hours work. 

• 5 months later...

We’re seeing this play out in real time at my facility. In our case it’s not the money, we’re already the highest paid nurses on the planet, the union just secured an 18% raise over three years and we still can’t fill behind our resignations and transfers.

Turns out it takes more than money to keep a staff in healthcare; but those of us hanging on are just here for the money now.

• Halal 2

6 minutes ago, TUFKAK said:

We’re seeing this play out in real time at my facility. In our case it’s not the money, we’re already the highest paid nurses on the planet, the union just secured an 18% raise over three years and we still can’t fill behind our resignations and transfers.

Turns out it takes more than money to keep a staff in healthcare; but those of us hanging on are just here for the money now.

I mean, working conditions in general are important. And I can’t expect those to be too good after the hit the industry took from COVID. My mom retired in April - she had quite a few horror stories from the past two years.

3 minutes ago, Uaarkson said:

I mean, working conditions in general are important. And I can’t expect those to be too good after the hit the industry took from COVID. My mom retired in April - she had quite a few horror stories from the past two years.

Honestly where we are was relatively tame. We locked down before anywhere else nationwide and our population heeded the mandate and distancing guidelines. 

My gf was in New York during the early pandemic and her stories are terrible. Meanwhile, in SF, we often had an empty ER/more nurses than patients.

If I had to guess I’d say it’s the increasing violence, the shifting care delivery model (this is rage inducing), and burnout from staffing levels.

Last year at my work we started giving people the option of working 10 hours a day for 4 days a week.  Most of the hourly people took the offer.  But after a year, most of them have gone back to 5x8 model.  Although people liked the 3 day weekends, practically no one liked doing 10 hours a day with no overtime.