"Great Resignation" Update: MIT Sloan School of Management study indicates that "Toxic Culture" is driving the Great Resignation

23 minutes ago, TUFKAK said:

If I had to guess I’d say it’s the increasing violence, the shifting care delivery model (this is rage inducing), and burnout from staffing levels.

I’ve heard my mom talk about this but I still don’t quite understand it. Care to explain to a dummy like me :nervous:

1 hour ago, Uaarkson said:

Fucking Christ, the corporate world is rage-inducing. The comments are great though, glad to see this horseshit was promptly ratio’d

It's about real estate and because some greedy execs feel they're being taken advantage of by paying a San Francisco salary to someone that moved out to Idaho. They feel they should be able to cut peoples' salaries to match the cost of living to where they moved and then get pissed when those people quit and they wind up back to hiring someone local for San Francisco money.

Don't underestimate the effect property prices have on all this. Some of these companies are now upside-down on offices that are now mostly empty and banks are upset by a possible crash in the corporate real estate market.

13 minutes ago, Ghost_MH said:

Some of these companies are now upside-down on offices that are now mostly empty and banks are upset by a possible crash in the corporate real estate market.

Haha, tough titties. American commuter culture needs to die.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Ghost_MH said:

It's about real estate and because some greedy execs feel they're being taken advantage of by paying a San Francisco salary to someone that moved out to Idaho. They feel they should be able to cut peoples' salaries to match the cost of living to where they moved and then get pissed when those people quit and they wind up back to hiring someone local for San Francisco money.

Don't underestimate the effect property prices have on all this. Some of these companies are now upside-down on offices that are now mostly empty and banks are upset by a possible crash in the corporate real estate market.

I'm convinced there's a pile of commercial real estate money funding articles like that.  They quoted Jessica twice in their tweets, the other one said she felt the warmth of the bodies in the building or some shit.  I kind of get it a little, a lot of zoomers probably dreamed of working a nice job in a cool office in high school and college, not realizing that shit fades quick by the third month of sitting in traffic and realizing no one has time to use the ping pong table in the common area.  My last office had the bicycle desks, free keurig coffee and snacks, jogging track, waterfall in the lobby, colorful conference rooms with video conferencing suites that probably cost more than my car, semi monthly catered end of day happy hours, and all that other stuff that you do when the overseas VC spigot is wide open.  At the end of the day, which is usually later than it should be, it's still work that's too much for one person to do that you have to do with noise cancelling headphones because soft walled cubicles are so 2000s and we need fucking glass everywhere.  I'm fine working from home, I can buy my own beer and coffee.

Last Fall I switched companies, I was looking for the exit from my last one and every recruiter that was trying to push a hybrid or return to full office position got especially salty when I said I wasn't interested.  The funny thing is all those positions were flagged as "Remote" on LinkedIn, so it's likely they had postings without applicants when they marked it as in office.

• True 2
  • Halal 1

1 hour ago, Uaarkson said:

I’ve heard my mom talk about this but I still don’t quite understand it. Care to explain to a dummy like me :nervous:

There’s a few things but the big thing we’re seeing is ever since the pandemic there’s this drive to maximize profits. So we’re overbooking elective surgeries and accepting transfers when we’re already over capacity.

The ER is routinely boarding 30-50 admits for 24+hours with dozens in the waiting room waiting 12+ hours to be seen. They’re basically maximizing every bed space to increase value to the point that there’s a rush to admit our boarders before midnight. The reason, if they’re up inpatient before midnight the hospital can bill an impatient day charge for that day.

it’s turning highly trained and experienced ERs into acute care floors, sorry @CastlevaniaNut18 but we are not a floor and shouldn’t be worked as such.

Its causing so many sentinel events. The most egregious example of this. Gyn performed a uterine biopsy in an ER room without an RN present because no shit, none of us are scrub nurses, they injected formaldehyde instead of lidocaine into her uterus. The woman is crippled now. That never should’ve happened.

• Guillotine 1

• 2 weeks later...
9 minutes ago, Jason said:

I mean, just anecdotally throughout the pandemic and the subsequent recovery how often has squealing and whining about wages, work from home, difficulty in finding workers etc. etc. has been immediately followed by companies coughing under their breath, "Oh yeah, and we had record profits this year".

• True 2

1 hour ago, Chairslinger said:

I mean, just anecdotally throughout the pandemic and the subsequent recovery how often has squealing and whining about wages, work from home, difficulty in finding workers etc. etc. has been immediately followed by companies coughing under their breath, "Oh yeah, and we had record profits this year".

This is from outside the US but the guy ain’t wrong. 

• Halal 4

41 minutes ago, Kal-El814 said:

This is from outside the US but the guy ain’t wrong. 

Yeah the rail union advocates in the UK have been incredible in their messaging—and the UK public seems to support it. There was a clip recently of a British journalist reporting on the strike potential/effects and they openly said they were surprised that they couldn't find a single person at the train station (which had delays because of the job action!) who did not support the rail workers. Everyone said that while they didn't like having delays, they supported the workers and their right to strike.