I don't even care if this guy is right about grilling (I'm sure he is)

Just now, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

What the heck is that?

Not really boiling. But cooking in water heated to a very specific temperature over a long period of time. The water gets to food up to the exact temperature and can't overcook.

4 minutes ago, ThreePi said:

Not really boiling. But cooking in water heated to a very specific temperature over a long period of time. The water gets to food up to the exact temperature and can't overcook.

It's also important to point out that the meat is physically separated from the heated water with a plastic bag.  It's a wonderful way to cook meat, but once it comes out of the water bath it usually looks pretty gross - you need to put it on a hot skillet afterwards to give it a nice caramelized texture on the outside of the meat.

I'm a big fan of sous vide, but it is important to understand that the results do differ slightly from what most are used to, and the timing makes a huge difference. While it is true you can't really overcook things in sous vide, because the temperature of the meat will never go above what you've set it for, keeping meet at a high temp does break down the proteins over time. So a steak in sous vide for 1 hour will be very different from one in a 4 hour bath, assuming equal thickness.

I really like it for steak in particular. I get a nice thick piece of meat, and in the end it's perfectly to temp all the way through. Finish it in a very hot pan with some butter and aromatics, and you're good to go.

Chicken works pretty well, but I don't often bother with it because it does take a while and I just don't care enough for chicken. I've not loved the texture I get from Salmon, but other fish has turned out pretty well. I think I need to reduce the time and try it again.

As far as grilling is concerned, the author isn't wrong, but for a lot of grilled foods, it doesn't matter. I wouldn't grill a steak, but most burgers are perfectly fine.

18 minutes ago, TwinIon said:

IAs far as grilling is concerned, the author isn't wrong, but for a lot of grilled foods, it doesn't matter. I wouldn't grill a steak, but most burgers are perfectly fine.

Grilled steaks can be great.

When I’m feeling particularly decadent I smoke standing rib roasts. @Commissar SFLUFAN would get the vapours and need a fainting couch when he saw the end result, but for people who love a medium rare prime rib it’s fantastic.

8 minutes ago, Kal-El814 said:

Grilled steaks can be great.

When I’m feeling particularly decadent I smoke standing rib roasts. @Commissar SFLUFAN would get the vapours and need a fainting couch when he saw the end result, but for people who love a medium rare prime rib it’s fantastic.

I should clarify: I personally don't grill steaks, but I'm not casting dispersion on those that do.

I very much believe that heat is heat. The author isn't wrong that grills are less predictable, harder to control, and otherwise more difficult sources of heat than a pan or oven. That doesn't mean that any grilled steak is garbage, it just means that it's harder to get the exact result you're looking for. If I've paid a lot for a steak, and especially if it's really thick, I personally have a very hard time getting it the right temp throughout on a grill, and unless you're doing something else (indirect heat, etc.) I think most people would as well.

If you have a thinner piece of meat, or something like a burger that you want medium to med-well, and don't mind a slight gradient, there's nothing wrong with a grill.

Also, when it comes to smoking, that's a whole different ball game, and I don't think that most of the issues that apply to typical grilling apply.

1 hour ago, Chris- said:

Grilling burgers is fine; the point isn’t to create something gourmet, it’s to feed a bunch of assholes while you hang out outside and drink. In fact, that’s the point of grilling in general. 

With enough beer even the most overcooked of burgers tastes just fine

9 hours ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

Inuk and I practically have identical diets, so it just makes things far more efficient if I prepare enough boiled chicken for the both of us at the same time.

In your honor, I made Hainanese chicken rise for dinner tonight, which does involve boiling a chicken.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

Inuk and I practically have identical diets, so it just makes things far more efficient if I prepare enough boiled chicken for the both of us at the same time.

You eating boiled chicken seems on-brand.

My mother was one of them Covid ‘Gonna buy an Air Fryer’ people. I gotta admit that the steak we had marinated in some olive oil blended with some Montreal Steak Pepper was pretty damn awesome in the unit. Worked pretty great on some double cut pork chops too. 

1 hour ago, silentbob said:

My mother was one of them Covid ‘Gonna buy an Air Fryer’ people. I gotta admit that the steak we had marinated in some olive oil blended with some Montreal Steak Pepper was pretty damn awesome in the unit. Worked pretty great on some double cut pork chops too. 

Air fryers are great. I have one of those Ninja pressure cooker/air fryers and I use it all the time. Try parboiling some sliced up potatoes and then air frying them. So good 

One thing that people seem to skip is that you should really brush down whatever you're cooking with oil. Without any oil, these air fryers are just mini convection ovens.

17 minutes ago, Ghost_MH said:

Air fryers are great. I have one of those Ninja pressure cooker/air fryers and I use it all the time. Try parboiling some sliced up potatoes and then air frying them. So good 

One thing that people seem to skip is that you should really brush down whatever you're cooking with oil. Without any oil, these air fryers are just mini convection ovens.

In fact don't get an air fryer exclusively, get a convection toaster oven. More functionality and can be cheaper sometimes.

• Thanks 1

You guys are being ridiculous. I’m sure Wade grills or sears his meat before braising it in liquid with some absolutely beautiful aromatics.

12 hours ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

What. The. Fuck.

I think the ideal grilling method would be sous vide first, but ain't nobody got time for that. Any meat that's already par cooked to some degree is probably preferable.

There's nothing wrong with grilling. Is it as good? No. Is it more fun? Absolutely.

Also I love grilling beyond brats (can't eat real brats anymore, I get some rumblies in the tumblies). And grilled veggies are awesome. Especially asparagus or sprouts. And pineapple. And red onion. And bell peppers.

I refuse to buy my dad super nice streaks because I know he'll just blast those fuckers on a grill and he overcooks the shit out of them. One time I bought him some nice wagyu steaks that cost like $40 each and I had to bleach my eyes when I saw what he did to them.

On 7/2/2021 at 12:23 PM, TwinIon said:

I'm a big fan of sous vide, but it is important to understand that the results do differ slightly from what most are used to, and the timing makes a huge difference. While it is true you can't really overcook things in sous vide, because the temperature of the meat will never go above what you've set it for, keeping meet at a high temp does break down the proteins over time. So a steak in sous vide for 1 hour will be very different from one in a 4 hour bath, assuming equal thickness.

I really like it for steak in particular. I get a nice thick piece of meat, and in the end it's perfectly to temp all the way through. Finish it in a very hot pan with some butter and aromatics, and you're good to go.

Chicken works pretty well, but I don't often bother with it because it does take a while and I just don't care enough for chicken. I've not loved the texture I get from Salmon, but other fish has turned out pretty well. I think I need to reduce the time and try it again.

As far as grilling is concerned, the author isn't wrong, but for a lot of grilled foods, it doesn't matter. I wouldn't grill a steak, but most burgers are perfectly fine.

I sous vide all the time.  I find that it makes an even bigger difference with poultry/pork than it does with Beef.

I agree on Salmon, my kids like a solid crust, which is hard to do with Sous Vide.  And cod taste so much better in a beer batter, then deep fried...

While time does impact the texture (a little) you have a VERY broad time on which you can cook something.  Unlike other methods where you have to be more concerned about it.

On 7/3/2021 at 10:28 AM, sblfilms said:

I cook nothing 

We can't afford our own personal chefs Mr. Money bags!

40 minutes ago, MarSolo said:

As the resident Italian here, and therefore, the only person with any culinary taste, grilling is fine for an outdoor scenario.

The only thing that should EVER be… ugh… boiled in water… is pasta.

How would you make lobster?

19 minutes ago, Remarkableriots said:

We can't afford our own personal chefs Mr. Money bags!

How would you make lobster?

Okay, there are obvious exceptions to the boiling in water rule… if it’s part of the recipe to make it edible, like hard boiled eggs, lobster, pasta, or rice, it’s allowed.

NO BOILING MEAT! 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, MarSolo said:

Okay, there are obvious exceptions to the boiling in water rule… if it’s part of the recipe to make it edible, like hard boiled eggs, lobster, pasta, or rice, it’s allowed.

NO BOILING MEAT! 

Soups?