I don't even care if this guy is right about grilling (I'm sure he is)

15 minutes ago, Keyser_Soze said:

Boiled hot dogs aren't bad.

They aren't terrible, but they aren't good either. Diffusion is a thing to think about when cooking. The reason hotdog water exists is because when you boil the dogs some of the flavor leaves them and remains in the water. I'd prefer to keep as much flavor in the food as possible rather than throwing some down the drain.

This is one of those things people don't think about when they get into sous vide. They think adding all this butter and wine to the steak will end up with a steak with those flavors, but instead you just send up with butter that tastes like steak and wine.

2 hours ago, MarSolo said:

As the resident Italian here, and therefore, the only person with any culinary taste, grilling is fine for an outdoor scenario.

The only thing that should EVER be… ugh… boiled in water… is pasta.

Oh... I guess only being half doesn't count :(

56 minutes ago, ort said:

Soups?

If you're making soup from scratch, you'd do better to cook the meat separate from the soup. The soup broth, instead, should be flavored with veggies, off cuts and bones. Once that's done, add the meat and let them simmer for a bit, but never hot enough to boil.

Even the stuff in cans tells you to never actually boil the soup. Soups can totally "burn". Cooking it too hot will mess with the taste and texture.

Alright look, I need to vent somewhere about this. I was invited to 3 cookouts this weekend. All 3 served frozen fucking burger patties on gas grills. Fuck that. Blah! One flavorless binder filled meat patty after another!

I'm all about fresh ground beef on my charcoal grill. It might take 20 minutes to get the charcoal burning in the chimney and the grill heating up, but it's worth it dammit. 

11 hours ago, Ghost_MH said:

This is one of those things people don't think about when they get into sous vide. They think adding all this butter and wine to the steak will end up with a steak with those flavors, but instead you just send up with butter that tastes like steak and wine.

I don't put butter in w/steak when I sold vide it, but I do put it in with lobster.

14 minutes ago, DarkStar189 said:

Alright look, I need to vent somewhere about this. I was invited to 3 cookouts this weekend. All 3 served frozen fucking burger patties on gas grills. Fuck that. Blah! One flavorless binder filled meat patty after another!

I'm all about fresh ground beef on my charcoal grill. It might take 20 minutes to get the charcoal burning in the chimney and the grill heating up, but it's worth it dammit. 

Taste the meat not the heat!

15 minutes ago, DarkStar189 said:

Happens everywhere I go. Just why even bother cooking it outside at that point?

10 minutes ago, Kal-El814 said:

I don't put butter in w/steak when I sold vide it, but I do put it in with lobster.

I'll allow it. Lobster is perfectly fine boiled. You aren't losing that much through the shell. If it's in a sous vide I'm assuming this is frozen lobster tail or something like that, in which case, yeah, go for it.

2 minutes ago, Ghost_MH said:

I'll allow it. Lobster is perfectly fine boiled. You aren't losing that much through the shell. If it's in a sous vide I'm assuming this is frozen lobster tail or something like that, in which case, yeah, go for it.

If I'm making lobster rolls, I boil the claws for about 5 min, the tails for 1, then sous vid them for an hour or so in butter with some tarragon. Then I dress them up a little with mayo and celery before making the rolls.

• Like 1