I don't even care if this guy is right about grilling (I'm sure he is)

2 minutes ago, Kal-El814 said:

We’re talking about it. :p

Fair enough, I didn’t click though.  It reminds me of those random articles that are like “Here’s what Warren Buffett does every morning that is he key to his success”, you click it and it turns out he gets up at 6am and has eggs or something.  Doing that a couple times has made me not click out of curiosity anymore.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Ghost_MH said:

Clean your grill and use ceramic to evenly distributed the heat. Even better, use a grill with the heat box off to the side.

One thing, though, don't be a monster and put burgers directly on the grills. Burgers belong on a flat top.

The best burgers I've ever had were at a small diner in southern Ohio that basically deep friend the meat in a pool of oil that existed on the flattop. I don't know if the place even exists anymore, it was opened in the 30's and I'm quite sure the original owners died years ago, but next time in in the area I'll look for it

2 minutes ago, b_m_b_m_b_m said:

The best burgers I've ever had were at a small diner in southern Ohio that basically deep friend the meat in a pool of oil that existed on the flattop. I don't know if the place even exists anymore, it was opened in the 30's and I'm quite sure the original owners died years ago, but next time in in the area I'll look for it

Direct grilling your burgers is basically letting all the nice juices go to waste. The flattop let's your burger fry in its own rendered fat. Deep frying also works pretty great for the same reason. Getting the temp of the oil right it's the trick, though. You don't want the burger flavors getting lost in the oil.

20 minutes ago, Ghost_MH said:

Clean your grill and use ceramic to evenly distributed the heat. Even better, use a grill with the heat box off to the side.

One thing, though, don't be a monster and put burgers directly on the grills. Burgers belong on a flat top.

Sometimes I do grill my burgers because it’s just nice to be outside and grilling your meat and have the grill flavor. It’s a worse product, though, I can’t argue with you there. 

Though I have a gas grill now for convenience, food cooked on a charcoal grill tastes so monumentally better than other methods. Like, take a chicken breast and cook it on a grill pan over a stove, on a gas grill, or on a charcoal grill and it will 1000% be better on charcoal.

Just now, Joe said:

Sometimes I do grill my burgers because it’s just nice to be outside and grilling your meat and have the grill flavor. It’s a worse product, though, I can’t argue with you there. 

I grill burgers outside all the time, I just drop a skillet on the grill.

• Haha 1

Just now, ThreePi said:

Though I have a gas grill now for convenience, food cooked on a charcoal grill tastes so monumentally better than other methods. Like, take a chicken breast and cook it on a grill pan over a stove, on a gas grill, or on a charcoal grill and it will 1000% be better on charcoal.

We use to do charcoal and I remember how amazing a good home made burger was on that grill. My dad cooked most things on the bbq until the meat actually looked like charcoal forming on the burned pieces of meat. My mother was wise to remove him a from bbq duties, as his signature stove dish was boiled steak and onions. 

21 minutes ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

Have you considered the joy of boiling?

Does sous vide count as boiling? Because I boil my streaks all the time if so. I mean, I sear them afterward, but that's mostly to do away with the poor texture and sad look.