Stocks drop as Biden proposes a 43.4% capital gains tax for the wealthy (currently 20%)

Good. Fuck those sick fucks that make all their money through existing capital and then pay less taxes than people actually working for it. All capital gains should be taxed at the same level as income, no exceptions (well, except sale of primary residence, I suppose). The two options are tax the rich or eat the rich.

To clarify, this is the highest capital gains tax level for the rich. Sounds like it will scale up. It should just be scaled the same was as income (just bundle it all together).

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• CitizenVectron changed the title to Stocks drop as Biden proposes a 43.4% capital gains tax for the wealthy (currently 20%)
24 minutes ago, CitizenVectron said:

Good. Fuck those sick fucks that make all their money through existing capital and then pay less taxes than people actually working for it. All capital gains should be taxed at the same level as income, no exceptions (well, except sale of primary residence, I suppose). The two options are tax the rich or eat the rich.

To clarify, this is the highest capital gains tax level for the rich. Sounds like it will scale up. It should just be scaled the same was as income (just bundle it all together).

Are you worried that doing so would disincentivize long term investments?  Why hold onto a stock for greater than a year if my gains will be taxed at exactly the same rate as if I had held the stock for 10 minutes? 

Also, I'm not opposed to taxing capital gains at higher rates - it makes sense if your primary source of income are things like stock grants because you are a high level executive at a company.  But it's a shit idea if these stocks are just a part of your compensation package, or the capital gains are from your own investments. 

10 minutes ago, mclumber1 said:

Are you worried that doing so would disincentivize long term investments?  Why hold onto a stock for greater than a year if my gains will be taxed at exactly the same rate as if I had held the stock for 10 minutes? 

Also, I'm not opposed to taxing capital gains at higher rates - it makes sense if your primary source of income are things like stock grants because you are a high level executive at a company.  But it's a shit idea if these stocks are just a part of your compensation package, or you gained the capital gains are from your own investments. 

This proposal is for people making more than $1 million a year, so there is precisely zero reason to care. 

4 minutes ago, Chris- said:

This proposal is for people making more than $1 million a year, so there is precisely zero reason to care. 

The article is unclear on whether it's pegging it to income tax rates across the board or just for high earners. It's also unclear about when the 43.4% would actually kick in, it immediately follows the mention of 43.4% with "the proposal would hike the capital gains rate to 39.6% for those earning $1 million or more".

Just now, Uaarkson said:

If this increased revenue goes to spending on welfare and social services then fuck yeah.

For the feds, taxation is to simply remove money from the market, as it is separate from spending entirely. It's good for keeping inflation in check and as a way to reduce income inequality. Get MMT pilled my man.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Ricofoley said:

I don't think there's a chance in hell this is real, but Biden and Yellen would absolutely leap up to legendary status for me if it was real. Do it for the gamers, Joe. They need their GPUs.

No wonder crypto shit the bed today.

3 minutes ago, Ricofoley said:

I don't think there's a chance in hell this is real, but Biden and Yellen would absolutely leap up to legendary status for me if it was real. Do it for the gamers, Joe. They need their GPUs.

I'd put a picture of biden in every room of my home like he's Mao or Stalin if he did this

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 7

1 hour ago, Ricofoley said:

I think the chances are more than you think just because of the energy usage. Cryptocurrency at least of the type bitcoin needs to die. 

12 hours ago, PaladinSolo said:

300 point drop is uhhh nothing, lol.

🎶 Memories 🎶

TUE, OCT 6 2020 3:51 PM EDT

Trump tweets spark 600-point drop

President Trump's tweets about stopping the stimulus negotiations triggered a drop in the Dow of roughly 600 points and a sharp reversal in the other major indexes. The S&P 500 fell from roughly 3,430 to about 3,356. — Jesse Pound, Nate Rattner

2 hours ago, Spork3245 said:

I really want the crypto thing to be real. One major country putting severe tax or regulation on it and they’re dead.

I don't really "get" the whole crypto craze.

Would this leave a bunch of people with a lot of useless crypto and PC rigs like a 90's kid with a closet full of pogs and beanie babies?

Because if so..... :lol:

2 minutes ago, Chairslinger said:

I don't really "get" the whole crypto craze.

Would this leave a bunch of people with a lot of useless crypto and PC rigs like a 90's kid with a closet full of pogs and beanie babies?

Because if so..... :lol:

When BTC dropped last time, all of the people with mining rigs were selling their burnt out GPUs on eBay for cheap.

• Haha 1