Defense rests in the Derek Chauvin case (UPDATE: Guilty on all charges) (2ND UPDATE: 22 1/2 years in prison)

1 hour ago, b_m_b_m_b_m said:

Steve Brule Reaction GIF by MOODMAN

Lol. Obviously this is a different situation. I know maine at least has gotten rid of solitary as a punishment.

I don't know. I hate Derek Chauvin. I also know he's going to be released one day in all likelihood. Having someone do 20 years or whatever in solitary just because they have a high profile case that puts them at risk in gen pop definitely feels like cruel and unusual punishment to me. If you or me committed second degree murder, we wouldn't have to spend the entire bid in solitary.

Obviously you can't always compare things 1:1, and like I said before, I'm sure minnesota doesn't have a PC prison. Maybe they do.

Apologies if this was posted.

Y3WICHVCPQI6XMYUF2MTXWB6GE.jpg&w=1440
WWW.WASHINGTONPOST.COM

Police officers can’t be defensive. We owe it to those we serve to change policing — and slow down.

Faced with criticism that perhaps police should not be turning a traffic stop over an unarmed person’s vehicle registration sticker into something to be resolved at gunpoint, some will say, “What are the police supposed to do, let all criminals just run away?” There is a lot wrong with that reaction. To begin with, let’s slow down on calling someone with registration issues a criminal. And then let’s slow down everything, because we police are rushing to make bad decisions when time is almost always our friend. Tamir Rice most likely would not have been killed for having a toy gun if the Cleveland police officers had not rushed right up to him and shot him. There was no violence going on; the 12-year-old was alone in the middle of a park. Slow down, I tell myself in almost every police encounter. The risk to my neighbors in my rushing to a final judgment in very uncertain and fluid situations far outweighs the risk to myself. I’m often wrong in the initial assessment of chaotic scenes, and so I try to be wrong silently, allowing my judgment to catch up to my reactions, to allow my perception to catch up with my vision. Slow down.

11 hours ago, SaysWho? said:

Apologies if this was posted.

Y3WICHVCPQI6XMYUF2MTXWB6GE.jpg&w=1440
WWW.WASHINGTONPOST.COM

Police officers can’t be defensive. We owe it to those we serve to change policing — and slow down.

I think that's powerful advice. If cops went into situations with like "whoa, everyone just kinda chill for a second," rather than "GET YOUR HANDS UP! PUT YOUR HANDS BEHIND YOUR BACK! PUT THEM OUT OF THE DRIVER WINDOW! DO ALL OF THE ABOVE!" and completely ready to fire, we would have far fewer deaths.

Better yet, if cops aren't even armed unless responding to very specific calls, cops probably wouldn't act that way.

c451019a-1b1f-4cf5-8862-85cf68db21e6_114
WWW.KARE11.COM

Three years before George Floyd, records show Derek Chauvin pinned a 14-year-old down – with his knee on his back – for 17 minutes.

State prosecutors wanted permission to use the 2017 incident as evidence in Chauvin’s murder trial, but the judge ruled against that.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • SaysWho? changed the title to Defense rests in the Derek Chauvin case (UPDATE: Guilty on all charges) (2ND UPDATE: 22 1/2 years in prison)
On 4/26/2021 at 7:22 PM, Fizzzzle said:

Better yet, if cops aren't even armed unless responding to very specific calls, cops probably wouldn't act that way.

No, this is not the answer. Response times for those in need would triple.

Also, This country is too armed for its police not to be  

3 hours ago, BloodyHell said:

No, this is not the answer. Response times for those in need would triple.

Also, This country is too armed for its police not to be  

Oh no! I would have to wait 2 hours instead of 40 minutes for a cop to come by my house after it's broken into to take my statement, only to reply with "you won't get your stuff back and we won't catch the guy."

41 minutes ago, Kal-El814 said:

We should do something about that.

Except we aren't, so deal with the reality of it.

25 minutes ago, CayceG said:

Oh no! I would have to wait 2 hours instead of 40 minutes for a cop to come by my house after it's broken into to take my statement, only to reply with "you won't get your stuff back and we won't catch the guy."

Yes, because robbery is the only crime that happens, and cops are always 40 minutes away.

Look, some cops do bad things.

Some others commit heroic deeds.

The vast majority, they go about their day and do their job. The idea that cops shouldn't have guns is a ridiculous assertion made out of anger at a few, projected onto the rest. 

16 minutes ago, BloodyHell said:

Except we aren't, so deal with the reality of it.

Yes, because robbery is the only crime that happens, and cops are always 40 minutes away.

Look, some cops do bad things.

Some others commit heroic deeds.

The vast majority, they go about their day and do their job. The idea that cops shouldn't have guns is a ridiculous assertion made out of anger at a few, projected onto the rest. 

I think we would have been a lot safer of a country if we didn't have so many cops with guns in the past. I know that sounds blasphemous now because cops are constantly needing those guns, but a huge part of me believes it's a lot like the superhero paradigm where more superheroes on the scene seem to ignite a need for more supervillains I think the gun problem is very similar in the real world. You look at places that don't have a lot of guns available to cops (but only available when they are responding to something that indicates guns will be necessary) and you don't end up in situations where the solution to a simple altercation is to kill the other person with a gun. Add to that the fact that we integrated policing with indirect racism, and we're where we are today. And I don't honestly believe there's an easy way back.

The problem we have is that we hit a point where we don't have an alternative path back. There are massive numbers of guns in the US today, and that's never going to change. We can point at some place like England and say we want to be more like them (or whatever place) but we're never going to be that way again. We built this country on guns, racism and a bunch of stand your ground mentalities where we actually believe that standing up to bullies with superior firepower is always the appropriate response. Of course, we're not going to ever reach a peaceful compromise in that environment.

It's also why our country is never going to be one where the two opposing sides start to work together. We built an entire infrastructure on believing that we're always in struggle with some evil other side. Compromise is seen as weakness, so we've let that boat sail a long time ago. The few people who still believe in working together are old, retiring and dying off. The future is bleak and pretty much on autopilot now.

The problem with Chauvin is that he's very much a symptom of the problem, but we're treating him as an anomaly rather than a problem we need to solve. So they'll put him in jail and throw away the key, but we're  not going to fix racism, anger and hatred in this country any time soon because it's a product of our society, not some strange phenomenon.

I used to present ideas on how to fix our circumstances, but over the years I've come to the conclusion that no one really wants to fix anything. They want to condemn and point fingers at things they see are wrong. And then punish instead of trying to fix it, so instead of actually fixing things (like going after the root causes of violence or hatred), our solutions are to cancel or complain about being canceled (depending upon which side you end up on). I could go into much more detail but I'm afraid no one would listen anyway if I couldn't limit it to two minutes worth of innovative dance routines in a Tik Tok video.

Saying regular beat cops shouldn’t carry guns  is a recognition that

1. being a police officer is not particularly dangerous

2. being armed unnecessarily raises the temperature of interactions with the public as there is an ever present threat of deadly force sitting on the hip of the officer

3. the government shouldn’t be killing citizens unless absolutely necessary, and they fail that on a daily basis in America

and more

4 minutes ago, sblfilms said:

Saying regular beat cops shouldn’t carry guns  is a recognition that

1. being a police officer is not particularly dangerous

2. being armed unnecessarily raises the temperature of interactions with the public as there is an ever present threat of deadly force sitting on the hip of the officer

3. the government shouldn’t be killing citizens unless absolutely necessary, and they fail that on a daily basis in America

and more

Regular people should nearly never have to interact with an armed officer. The cops giving out speeding tickets shouldn't be armed, the cops performing wellness checks shouldn't be armed, the cops showing up because the party next door is too loud shouldn't be armed, the cops showing up when you call 911 after a car accident shouldn't be armed, the cops showing up to take your statement after your house had been broken into shouldn't be armed.