Defense rests in the Derek Chauvin case (UPDATE: Guilty on all charges) (2ND UPDATE: 22 1/2 years in prison)

Is Maxine Waters a total idiot?

I mean, seriously, what is she doing. It's like she's gift wrapping a box of rocket propellant to the right wing ghouls to toss on the fire for the next decade or more.

She just can't stop saying dumb shit that is going to become the foundation of oppositions narrative for years.

6 minutes ago, ort said:

Is Maxine Waters a total idiot?

I mean, seriously, what is she doing. It's like she's gift wrapping a box of rocket propellant to the right wing ghouls to toss on the fire for the next decade or more.

She just can't stop saying dumb shit that is going to become the foundation of oppositions narrative for years.

What did she say?

210419-maxine-waters-jm-1357_e53214ed526
WWW.NBCNEWS.COM

A defense attorney for Chauvin argued that the congresswoman's comments were grounds for a mistrial, a motion the judge denied.

Nothing that bad really...

And I want to add that I truly believe that there isn't a single person in the world who is going to do anything differently at all based on what she said... not a single person...

But that won't stop the republicans and their propaganda wing from making this the base of their entire argument that all democrats are in favor of riots. Their racist vile followers will eat it up without diving into any of the nuance at all because that's what they do. That's the core audience of the Republican Party. They've made their entire brand into simply doing whatever it takes to appeal to the worst possible people imaginable.

I'm so tired of this shit everyone. I'm mentally exhausted and the amount of vile toxicity that exists in the world makes me very sad.

1 minute ago, sblfilms said:

There are virtually never transcripts of the court room testimony available for jurors to review, guys. 

I've sat on two jury trials, and we didn't have a transcript.  We were allowed to ask the court questions from what I remember, but we didn't have a play by play of the trial. 

4 minutes ago, sblfilms said:

There are virtually never transcripts of the court room testimony available for jurors to review, guys. 

1 minute ago, mclumber1 said:

I've sat on two jury trials, and we didn't have a transcript.  We were allowed to ask the court questions from what I remember, but we didn't have a play by play of the trial. 

6 minutes ago, Jason said:

Where does this trial transcript magically appear the day a trial concludes? They take months to compile after a trial of this length. Tapper just trying to cover for not knowing things :lol:

I was the lone holdout in the jury siding with the plaintiff on one count in a civil suit.  Everyone was getting frustrated with me.  What wasn't explained to the jury at the beginning, was that Oregon doesn't require a unanimous verdict (except in murder trials I guess), so we went back and forth for hours until we got told we didn't have to all be in agreement to reach a verdict. 

8 minutes ago, mclumber1 said:

Usually if there are any transcriptions available it is because the prosecution or defense prepared something and submitted it as evidence. So you may have a very small selection materials available that you could request access to.

1 minute ago, CastlevaniaNut18 said:

Seems quick. I hope that’s a good thing, but I really don’t know. 

I saw someone on Reset remind everyone that the OJ verdict took 4 hours, not to be downer but just not to set expectations high from the get-go.

Hoping for a guilty but I guess it's best to just wait and see.

18 hours ago, sblfilms said:

Where does this trial transcript magically appear the day a trial concludes? They take months to compile after a trial of this length. Tapper just trying to cover for not knowing things :lol:

It’s not entirely unheard of depending on the state.  Some states still use court stenographers in addition to a digital audio recording, so it is not impossible jurors having access to the transcripts based on the stenographer’s notes.  Usually if the jury needs a part read back to them they can.  It is exceedingly rare and used only for big higher profile cases, but some attorneys know this is likely going to be appealed and pay to have transcripts done daily.  I’m honestly not sure if they give those to jurors as it’s not a specific court process and the product of a private attorney making the request and payment.  

My gut reaction: quick verdict probably means at best manslaughter conviction. But it turns out that when you look at data on these things, time to verdict apparently is no actual indicator of outcome...so who knows?

36 minutes ago, LazyPiranha said:

It’s not entirely unheard of depending on the state.  Some states still use court stenographers in addition to a digital audio recording, so it is not impossible jurors having access to the transcripts based on the stenographer’s notes.  Usually if the jury needs a part read back to them they can.  It is exceedingly rare and used only for big higher profile cases, but some attorneys know this is likely going to be appealed and pay to have transcripts done daily.  I’m honestly not sure if they give those to jurors as it’s not a specific court process and the product of a private attorney making the request and payment.  

Yeah, that’s what I was saying in regards to transcripts that are made available. Typically provided by either the prosecution or defense and then submitted as an actual piece of evidence for exactly the reason that jurors can request to see it.

The big problem with trying to make an entire court case available immediately for the jury is the need for editing the content to ensure accuracy of the transcript. But tech is helping a lot of this as steno machines now get on-the-fly converted to text transcripts, and audio to text transcription is getting better and better so there are less errors to correct.

2 minutes ago, Spawn_of_Apathy said:

Probably rules out a hung jury though. 

Which is why my gut reaction is guilty on manslaughter. Can’t imagine getting unanimity on the murder 2 charge, or unanimity on acquittal.