Defense rests in the Derek Chauvin case (UPDATE: Guilty on all charges) (2ND UPDATE: 22 1/2 years in prison)

The most Arizona story I’ve seen since i

moved here is some guy in an apartment complex calls 911 because the young couple next to him were making too much noise. So he lies to the 911 operator that he hears fighting so the police will come faster to shut them up. Two armed representatives of the state show up and knock on the couples door. Arizona man answers with his gun in his hand And gets wasted by the police. He was playing video games.

• Sad 3

40 minutes ago, Dodger said:

The most Arizona story I’ve seen since i

moved here is some guy in an apartment complex calls 911 because the young couple next to him were making too much noise. So he lies to the 911 operator that he hears fighting so the police will come faster to shut them up. Two armed representatives of the state show up and knock on the couples door. Arizona man answers with his gun in his hand And gets wasted by the police. He was playing video games.

Wasn't that from a while back? Because I swear I read an almost identical story before.

• 2 years later...
29 minutes ago, Fizzzzle said:

(seriously though, the fact that we cheer on the brutalization of prison inmates when we feel like they deserve it is an actual problem that contributes heavily to our incarceration problem, we need to generally not do it)

Humans are primarily focused on fairness, it's the whole basis of our morality and ethics after all. There are actual monsters out there, some people can not be rehabilitated and it's a human trait to want them punished, to seek solace in it. Our incarceration problem is mainly due to the nature of capitalism, nothing more, there is more money in recidivism than rehabilitation.

You think people love John Wick just because the club music is fire? 

17 minutes ago, TUFKAK said:

Humans are primarily focused on fairness, it's the whole basis of our morality and ethics after all. There are actual monsters out there, some people can not be rehabilitated and it's a human trait to want them punished, to seek solace in it. Our incarceration problem is mainly due to the nature of capitalism, nothing more, there is more money in recidivism than rehabilitation.

You think people love John Wick just because the club music is fire? 

You're right, the problem is that almost all of these people that we root for to be tortured do have to get released someday. Even most murderers don't die in prison. Derek Chauvin himself will be released in 15 years. What kind of person do you want them to be when that day comes and they move in next door?

Punishment for the sake of punishment makes us feel better, but it doesn't make society better. The question, then, is what is the whole point of any of this? If the justice system is just about punishment, then we should have just executed Derek Chauvin and been done with it. But we can't do that, so....? What, we just hope he gets raped and stabbed until his release date? That doesn't help anybody.

Of course, any actual prison reform is political suicide, so it won't happen. People can't stand the idea of a murderer just sitting in prison, eating ramen noodles and playing spades on taxpayer dime. But I would argue that the justice system shouldn't give a shit about what those people think. The justice system should only be concerned with society as a whole, and the betterment of society as a whole would say "fuck your feelings."

5 minutes ago, Fizzzzle said:

You're right, the problem is that almost all of these people that we root for to be tortured do have to get released someday. Even most murderers don't die in prison. Derek Chauvin himself will be released in 15 years. What kind of person do you want them to be when that day comes and they move in next door?

Punishment for the sake of punishment makes us feel better, but it doesn't make society better. The question, then, is what is the whole point of any of this? If the justice system is just about punishment, then we should have just executed Derek Chauvin and been done with it. But we can't do that, so....? What, we just hope he gets raped and stabbed until his release date? That doesn't help anybody.

Of course, any actual prison reform is political suicide, so it won't happen. People can't stand the idea of a murderer just sitting in prison, eating ramen noodles and playing spades on taxpayer dime. But I would argue that the justice system shouldn't give a shit about what those people think. The justice system should only be concerned with society as a whole, and the betterment of society as a whole would say "fuck your feelings."

Or maybe the thought monsters get punished helps society, feeds our genetic impulses. I don’t know.

2 minutes ago, TUFKAK said:

Or maybe the thought monsters get punished helps society, feeds our genetic impulses. I don’t know.

You may be right in a sense. I certainly think punishment is a part of rehabilitation. Being forced to face the consequences of your actions in a way that makes you uncomfortable should be a thing. I just also think there's a point at which that isn't helpful anymore and it just becomes sadism. Inflicting suffering on someone else to make us feel better, at the expense of everyone, including our future selves.

5 minutes ago, Fizzzzle said:

You may be right in a sense. I certainly think punishment is a part of rehabilitation. Being forced to face the consequences of your actions in a way that makes you uncomfortable should be a thing. I just also think there's a point at which that isn't helpful anymore and it just becomes sadism. Inflicting suffering on someone else to make us feel better, at the expense of everyone, including our future selves.

And speaking to my past, maybe if the pos that abused me had been thrown into prison with convicts who put holes into their body would’ve saved me a lifetime of pain and suffering. Sadism can help society and I care more about the innocent vs the abuser and if that threat keeps people from acting on their own worst impulses, good.

• Hugs 1

2 minutes ago, TUFKAK said:

And speaking to my past, maybe if the pos that abused me had been thrown into prison with convicts who put holes into their body would’ve saved me a lifetime of pain and suffering. Sadism can help society and I care more about the innocent vs the abuser.

It's not about caring about the abuser. It's about understanding they will eventually be free again someday. At what point do we start putting effort into actually making sure that they've changed for the better? Otherwise, what's the point of any of it? He's just going to get out and start abusing more people.

Apologies if that sounded insensitive, I don't mean to minimize your own experience.

3 minutes ago, Fizzzzle said:

It's not about caring about the abuser. It's about understanding they will eventually be free again someday. At what point do we start putting effort into actually making sure that they've changed for the better? Otherwise, what's the point of any of it? He's just going to get out and start abusing more people.

Apologies if that sounded insensitive, I don't mean to minimize your own experience.

I’m of the belief certain people can’t be made into functional members of society, they can’t be rehabilitated, my experience is uniquely horrific and an indictment of “our better angels” trying to fix everyone. As I said, some can’t be and we delude ourselves into thinking otherwise to make us feel better all the while the actual monsters keep brutalizing others.

I admit not everyone is like the person who did those things to me, but we also need to accept human morality for what it is and I think at some level society needs those types punished. Not everything is economic outputs and being made productive.

On 11/25/2023 at 6:03 AM, Fizzzzle said:

(seriously though, the fact that we cheer on the brutalization of prison inmates when we feel like they deserve it is an actual problem that contributes heavily to our incarceration problem, we need to generally not do it)

Agree with this. He’s in prison for what he did and that’s the victory. I’m not gonna judge someone for feeling otherwise considering the emotions behind this case.

1 hour ago, SaysWho? said:

Agree with this. He’s in prison for what he did and that’s the victory. I’m not gonna judge someone for feeling otherwise considering the emotions behind this case.

Prison should not be a violent hellscape but it's also hard to feel bad about it in this particular instance.