Down goes CBS

number305

discoorigrear.jpg
WWW.GIANTFREAKINROBOT.COM

We have exclusively learned that CBS is working on bringing its new Star Trek shows to Netflix.

In what I consider good news, looks like we are getting rid of one streaming service. CBS all access is putting its content on Netflix. I have wanted to watch piccard but I was not going to sign up for another monthly fee. 

22 minutes ago, number305 said:

In what I consider good news, looks like we are getting rid of one streaming service. CBS all access is putting its content on Netflix. I have wanted to watch piccard but I was not going to sign up for another monthly fee. 

I've given CBS money a few times but it's also really easy to get free month codes. I re-up with a code and then cancel. Just don't cancel IMMEDIATELY, give it a day or two, or you won't get the month.

14 hours ago, number305 said:

I have wanted to watch piccard but I was not going to sign up for another monthly fee. 

This is me.  There's several streaming shows that look interesting and I think I'd enjoy.  But I'm already paying for Netflix and Amazon Prime and Hulu and D+...and that already feels excessive to me.  I'm not signing up any more.  We're reaching the point that cable-cutting is almost as expensive as cable to get all the shows one might want. 

I've signed up for CBS All Access a couple times to watch Star Trek and The Good Fight, and canceled quickly thereafter. I'd be happy to skip a step.

According to the story, and contrary to the OP, CBS seems to think that this will help boost their own numbers but that doesn't seem like a winning strategy to me.

When I look at their lineup right now, it's three Star Trek shows, Good Fight, and three shows I've never heard of, including one called "Console Wars." If anything, that seems to make me an ideal consumer of their product. I pay a lot for entertainment, I love Trek, I very much enjoyed Good Wife and Good Fight, and I even watch some broadcast CBS (thought it's pretty much only Football and Colbert). Still, there just isn't anything there worth paying for more than a month or two a year. CBS by itself simply doesn't make enough stuff to be worth the fee, and I don't see that changing.

22 hours ago, Mr.Vic20 said:

Same day or after a season ends?

reading the article it doesn’t sound like CBS All Access is shutting down yet. And the assumption is it will be older episodes to try and get people to sign up for CBS to get the new stuff. 

So it will likely be similar to broadcast. Netflix will get the stuff not just after a season is over, but quite a bit after. Probably within a month or three of the new season starting. 

Picard was AMAZING. Easily worth the $6 alone. Every season of Discovery has been fantastic, as well, and the production budget is of the charts for a TV show. Don’t forget the new Twilight Zone is there, too. I wouldn’t condone keeping the service all year round, but seriously, you can watch all that in a month for the price of one drink at Starbucks. 

18 hours ago, Emblazon said:

Picard was AMAZING. Easily worth the $6 alone. Every season of Discovery has been fantastic, as well, and the production budget is of the charts for a TV show. Don’t forget the new Twilight Zone is there, too. I wouldn’t condone keeping the service all year round, but seriously, you can watch all that in a month for the price of one drink at Starbucks. 

Picard was a hot sloppy mess.

Going through the effort of getting the original Hugh character back just to kill him off for cheap character development for Space Legolas.

Making a huge deal of crash landing the cube on the planet and getting it back working, only to just...ignore it during the big final battle.

Reapers that look identical to Control.

I'll watch the next season but this one was a mess.

27 minutes ago, Chairslinger said:

Anyone who thinks that the streaming services are as bad as cable must not have had as bad an experience with cable as I had.

After the shit they pulled when I tried to cut the cord I would invite a vampire into my house before I allowed a cable box into my home ever again.

I cancelled my cable after I moved and I returned all the equipment and such and they said I was good to go.

Then later I guess I guess I owed the remainder of my bill and they sent a letter from a collection company to get the money. :|

I've had Apple + for free since it came out and they extended my free year to February for some reason.  The Morning Show was one of the best things I watched last year. Servant wasn't bad either. Amazing Stories was a disappointment though. There's a couple of other shows on there I want to check out at some point. They've definitely invested in some pretty great shows.

7 hours ago, skillzdadirecta said:

I've had Apple + for free since it came out and they extended my free year to February for some reason. 

Yea, they did this for everyone who activated their free 1-year sub last year. My guess is that the viewer count was ridiculously low compared to the amount of (free) subs, so Apple wanted to remind people they had a free sub without it backfiring into “reminding people to cancel”. :p
Anyway, watch Ted Lasso - soooo good.

To be fair Amazon could make things a bit more clear. I've seen the same show on both prime and regular video, one you have to pay and one is on prime but you have to go to the right page to see the prime version.

Then they have a lot of jebait videos that say free but you have to subscribe to some other service.

6 hours ago, Keyser_Soze said:

To be fair Amazon could make things a bit more clear. I've seen the same show on both prime and regular video, one you have to pay and one is on prime but you have to go to the right page to see the prime version.

Then they have a lot of jebait videos that say free but you have to subscribe to some other service.

Their user interface is complete garbage, for sure. Until (very) recently a show wouldn’t play in the best possible version; they had 1080p and 4k HDR versions of the same show in different sections, with the 4k version basically hidden unless you searched.

On 12/21/2020 at 10:10 PM, Keyser_Soze said:

I mean if it has the Prime tag its free, if it doesn't its through another sub or you have to buy/rent it, its actually one of my favorite parts about the service is that it gives you other options to view it.

33 minutes ago, PaladinSolo said:

I mean if it has the Prime tag its free, if it doesn't its through another sub or you have to buy/rent it, its actually one of my favorite parts about the service is that it gives you other options to view it.

It doesn't help that some things are prime, you can add them to your watch list and then they go off of prime but stay on your watch list. Then you look later and it has a $ icon or some have no icon and you have to look to see and it says unavailable in your location or some are free to watch with ads. It's certainly gotten better than it used to be but it's still pretty shitty.

On 12/21/2020 at 5:04 PM, Bataar said:

I have Amazon Prime for the free shipping. I never use Prime Video because every time I try to find something on it, I need to pay extra for it.

They have tons of free content. -- particularly TV shows.  They *also* have lots of paid content.  If you're looking for something free, you just need to look in the Free with Prime section.