Perfect Dark (The Initiative) - "Why The Initiative hired Crystal Dynamics to help with Perfect Dark" (Jeff Grubb)

Commissar SFLUFAN

I'll be excited for this someday, but not today.

That trailer reminds me a lot of the first Halo Infinite trailer with MC wearing the hooded wrap walking through the desert.  It had nothing to do with the eventual game - just something to show.

And the developer piece was just talking points.  "female lead! Fighting for the environment! Embrace the past! Create the future!"  

This will probably someday be a great game, but my guess is we are looking at holiday 23 at best.

One of the coolest things from the original game was the counter operative mode. There are very few games where you can just be a normal henchman with little health. It was always harder for Joanna because there would be one pretty smart enemy in the map, but the concept was so cool. It'd be like being one of the normal enemies in Dynasty Warriors and going after the player general.

4 minutes ago, SaysWho? said:

One of the coolest things from the original game was the counter operative mode. There are very few games where you can just be a normal henchman with little health. It was always harder for Joanna because there would be one pretty smart enemy in the map, but the concept was so cool. It'd be like being one of the normal enemies in Dynasty Warriors and going after the player general.

The multiplayer in left 4 dead or Assassin's Creed comes to mind.

Perfect Dark Zero was a complete and total dumpster fire diarrhea bucket that is (in my opinion) one of the worst fucking (big release) game sequels in the history of gaming.

All of the goodwill for this franchise was destroyed by Perfect Dark zero.

44 minutes ago, SaysWho? said:

Imagine a Dynasty Warriors game where its 2v2 and 2 of the enemy generals are player controlled

55 minutes ago, ort said:

Perfect Dark Zero was a complete and total dumpster fire diarrhea bucket that is (in my opinion) one of the worst fucking (big release) game sequels in the history of gaming.

All of the goodwill for this franchise was destroyed by Perfect Dark zero.

I'm in the same boat. Loved the N64 but the 360 release blew chunks. I'll wait until I see gameplay before getting excited.

25 minutes ago, The def star said:

I'm in the same boat. Loved the N64 but the 360 release blew chunks. I'll wait until I see gameplay before getting excited.

The Xbox 360 release was certainly way better than the N64 original release - I played both and was thankful for much improved resolution, sharper graphics, and a consistent, much better framerate. Was there some issue with it that I'm not aware of? Eurogamer was all praises at the time. I imagine N64 version emulated on PC could maybe be better than the 360 release though. Maybe.

perfect_big.jpg.jpg
WWW.EUROGAMER.NET

Edit: If you meant Perfect Dark Zero on 360 and not the port of Perfect Dark on 360, my bad. I never played Zero, my two younger brothers did when the game first launched and they did not like it, so I avoided it ever since. But I heard it has its fans, maybe a remaster would improve it, I dunno.

14 minutes ago, Greatoneshere said:

The Xbox 360 release was certainly way better than the N64 original release - I played both and was thankful for much improved resolution, sharper graphics, and a consistent, much better framerate. Was there some issue with it that I'm not aware of? Eurogamer was all praises at the time. I imagine N64 version emulated on PC could maybe be better than the 360 release though. Maybe.

perfect_big.jpg.jpg
WWW.EUROGAMER.NET

I think he was talking about Perfect Dark Zero, not the re-release of the original.

8 minutes ago, crispy4000 said:

Unlikely.  I think the 360 version was a genuine port?

It was a genuine port I believe, and the Eurogamer review was all praises, but mods for emulation are quite good for older systems these days (I emulate, though it's been awhile since I did an N64 game - currently doing Xenoblade Chronicles X, it looks glorious). The 360 version was excellent though, really enjoyed that port. The later "challenge" missions were incredibly hard (in a good way, hence the need for those 60fps on 360 vs. N64's 10 fps) and I'm with @SaysWho?, the counter-operative mode was genius, not sure why that didn't become a thing (Splinter Cell kind of picked up on this with its multiplayer).

6 minutes ago, Fizzzzle said:

I think he was talking about Perfect Dark Zero, not the re-release of the original.

Ah, if so, that's my bad. I've edited my response to @The def star to reflect this. Much thanks. :)

12 hours ago, number305 said:

I'll be excited for this someday, but not today.

That trailer reminds me a lot of the first Halo Infinite trailer with MC wearing the hooded wrap walking through the desert.  It had nothing to do with the eventual game - just something to show.

And the developer piece was just talking points.  "female lead! Fighting for the environment! Embrace the past! Create the future!"  

This will probably someday be a great game, but my guess is we are looking at holiday 23 at best.

I think even 2022 could be realistic. The devs at the Initiative have been teasing that they've been playing the game for a while now. Obviously it would probably be in a pre-alpha but that tells me that they're past the conceptual phase. By 2022 they would be at the four-year mark. and honestly, we always think of these games as having massive super-complicated worlds, but MS could be going for a smaller, "bite sized" experience. I could totally see PD being a linear, story-driven, 8-hour game. Guess we'll just have to wait and see which direction they go with it.

13 hours ago, Keyser_Soze said:

I've stated theories in other threads but if they make it a spy espionage game going 3rd person would work.

Well it would fill a gap in a certain genre right now, since Ubi would rather jerk us around with Sam Fisher cameos than actually give us a new Splinter Cell.

23 hours ago, XxEvil AshxX said:

Well it would fill a gap in a certain genre right now, since Ubi would rather jerk us around with Sam Fisher cameos than actually give us a new Splinter Cell.

Man, I've been jonesing for a good, proper new Splinter Cell. I know we have excellent new Hitman games, but yeah. I want Sam Fisher. Ubi's not gonna do it though. They just fucked their Prince of Persia remake.

10 hours ago, Greatoneshere said:

Man, I've been jonesing for a good, proper new Splinter Cell. I know we have excellent new Hitman games, but yeah. I want Sam Fisher. Ubi's not gonna do it though. They just fucked their Prince of Persia remake.

I want a multiplayer, squad based team tactics splinter cell. Thats all I ever wanted. One where everyone has to do their job, or it all falls apart.

1 hour ago, JPDunks4 said:

One if the devs emphasized 1st person movement mechanics with a GoPro, so it maybe 1st person.

Also, there were rumors it maybe released as Episodic content.

4 minutes ago, ManUtdRedDevils said:

Episodic makes a ton of sense for Game Pass. 

It was the preferred distribution method for Hitman, game pass or no game pass, but for it to work for this game it would depend on what kind of game it is.

7 minutes ago, Mercury33 said:

Perfect Dark Zero was no masterpiece but it was certainly no dumpster fire. It just didn’t come close to living up to the long development and hype because of the original. But once you get passed that there was fun to be had. But hyperbole is fun I guess 🤷🏻‍♂️

I couldn't even get past the second level it was that bad :sick: I remember my buddy got a 360 before I did and we played some Perfect Dark Zero and was shocked how awkward it played compared to Halo. The multiplayer was fun but the controls were just bad. I switched my Perfect Dark Zero pre order to COD 2 and didn't regret it. 

Perfect Dark Nuts and Bolts... build drop ships and drop-off  Cyberdyne operatives..

I hope if anything it eschews toward the design tenets of the original game where the missions involve objectives which you tackle however you prefer with a well implemented QRF system... updates to the “classic” PD armory would be welcome as well

52 minutes ago, Mercury33 said:

Perfect Dark Zero was no masterpiece but it was certainly no dumpster fire. It just didn’t come close to living up to the long development and hype because of the original. But once you get passed that there was fun to be had. But hyperbole is fun I guess 🤷🏻‍♂️

I tried playing it at launch and years later just to revisit it with an open mind (my mind already open as I had never played the original) and it was terrible.