Perfect Dark (The Initiative) - "Why The Initiative hired Crystal Dynamics to help with Perfect Dark" (Jeff Grubb)

Commissar SFLUFAN

Nah, it really was that bad. It was barely next gen, it was so glitchy and buggy and the screen tearing was unbelievable. Like, constant screen tearing.

Controls were awful, level design was terrible, combat was bad... story was laughably bad... it was just bad.

It was clearly rushed for launch. It looked and played like a game that needed another year of development time.

3 minutes ago, ort said:

Nah, it really was that bad. It was barely next gen, it was so glitchy and buggy and the screen tearing was unbelievable. Like, constant screen tearing.

Controls were awful, level design was terrible, combat was bad... story was laughably bad... it was just bad.

It was clearly rushed for launch. It looked and played like a game that needed another year of development time.

Voice acting was also horrid.

• 9 months later...
8 minutes ago, ManUtdRedDevils said:

Microsoft pulling a Nintendo/Bamco situation or is this a precursor to a purchase of SE western studios?

Ya this will definitely fuel some fire to those rumors.

I mean the Japanese side of Square Enix doesn't port anything to Xbox, so no way they'd be buying all Square Enix.

11 minutes ago, JPDunks4 said:

Interesting.  Crystal Dynamics is owned by Square Enix right? 

Yes, it is.

Microsoft has worked with studios owned by other publishers before.  For example, they've partnered with Relic (owned by Sega) for Age of Empires IV and Creative Assembly (owned by Sega) for Halo Wars 2.

1 minute ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

Yes, it is.

Microsoft has worked with studios owned by other publishers before.  For example, they've partnered with Relic (owned by Sega) for Age of Empires IV and Creative Assembly (owned by Sega) for Halo Wars 2.

Good points.  I think if they did acquire anything, they'd announce that before announcing this.  So don't think there is any chance they acquired anything from Square.  

It will be interesting to learn more about this. It strangely lowers my expectations for this game we know nothing about.  The Initiative is suppose to be Microsoft’s new big studio so to see this partnership is weird.  Plus I didn’t like Avengers and Tomb Raider got worse with each entry. 

• Like 1

"Early in development?"

The Initiative was announced in 2018. What the actual fuck have they been doing for three years? Not to sound impatient, but three years to still be in "early development" does not instill a ton of confidence, especially when they couple that with the fact that they are having to bring in a third party to co-develop. 

Microsoft's head is in the right place, but between this, a Halo Infinite that really doesn't sound like it'll be ready (after a year delay), and a slew of other nebulous projects like Hellblade 2 and Fable, along with studios like Compulsion that haven't even announced what they're working on and things are looking pretty shaky for MS's initial 13 studios (the outlier being FH5, but that's already an established franchise).

The only studios seemingly cranking out titles are Bethesda studios that were already full steam ahead on their own shit when MS bought them. I'm really not trying to act like the sky is falling but being an Xbox fan first and foremost, it's getting a tad frustrating not really having any news on much of anything. Not even Halo campaign, which is less than three months away.

Also.. I realize Perfect Dark has always been first-person, but I was so hoping they'd go third-person for this new one. 

• Thanks 1

18 hours ago, XxEvil AshxX said:

"Early in development?"

The Initiative was announced in 2018. What the actual fuck have they been doing for three years? Not to sound impatient, but three years to still be in "early development" does not instill a ton of confidence, especially when they couple that with the fact that they are having to bring in a third party to co-develop. 

Microsoft's head is in the right place, but between this, a Halo Infinite that really doesn't sound like it'll be ready (after a year delay), and a slew of other nebulous projects like Hellblade 2 and Fable, along with studios like Compulsion that haven't even announced what they're working on and things are looking pretty shaky for MS's initial 13 studios (the outlier being FH5, but that's already an established franchise).

The only studios seemingly cranking out titles are Bethesda studios that were already full steam ahead on their own shit when MS bought them. I'm really not trying to act like the sky is falling but being an Xbox fan first and foremost, it's getting a tad frustrating not really having any news on much of anything. Not even Halo campaign, which is less than three months away.

Also.. I realize Perfect Dark has always been first-person, but I was so hoping they'd go third-person for this new one. 

They could get away with essentially control but instead of powers, gadgets.

So I'm going to put on the tinfoil hat for a moment... with all the "acquisition" rumors that were swirling at the beginning of last week... I can't help but wonder if this "partnership" with Crystal Dynamics is a smoke-screen. Could MS be in talks with Squeenix to buy off CD, and are using as a means of hiding it in plain sight while the negotiations are underway? Could CD get merged into The Initiative?

On 9/23/2021 at 8:39 PM, ManUtdRedDevils said:

It will be interesting to learn more about this. It strangely lowers my expectations for this game we know nothing about.  The Initiative is suppose to be Microsoft’s new big studio so to see this partnership is weird.  Plus I didn’t like Avengers and Tomb Raider got worse with each entry. 

Avengers was Eidos Montreal team (they worked on part of one of the Tomb Raiders). So not really Crystal Dynamics.

Scratch that, CD was the lead on Avengers. I though it was Eidos since a lot of my past coworkers (who work for Eidos Montreal) posted about working on the game on linkedin. 

On 9/26/2021 at 9:01 PM, XxEvil AshxX said:

So I'm going to put on the tinfoil hat for a moment... with all the "acquisition" rumors that were swirling at the beginning of last week... I can't help but wonder if this "partnership" with Crystal Dynamics is a smoke-screen. Could MS be in talks with Squeenix to buy off CD, and are using as a means of hiding it in plain sight while the negotiations are underway? Could CD get merged into The Initiative?

That's entirely possible.

It wouldn't surprise me in the least if SE management may have reached the point to at least consider divesting the remainder of its non-Japanese development studios because those titles didn't meet their absolutely ludicrous commercial performance expectations.  After all, they did allow IO Interactive to buy their independence.

• Commissar SFLUFAN changed the title to Perfect Dark (The Initiative) - "Why The Initiative hired Crystal Dynamics to help with Perfect Dark" (Jeff Grubb)
39 minutes ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

@XxEvil AshxX

perfect-dark.jpg?w=1200&strip=all
VENTUREBEAT.COM

Perfect Dark is a key game for Microsoft, and developer The Initiative is working with Crystal Dynamics to create the game. Here's why.

That's exactly what they would want us to think.

:isee:

• 1 year later...