3D World Switch port + Bowser's Fury (new gameplay)

crispy4000

This is all cool stuff (I’m on board with @chakoo - definitely getting the Game & Watch!) but Nintendo can get bent on this whole “limited time release then these games are going into the ‘Disney Vault’ for an unspecified amount of time!” garbage.

23 minutes ago, stepee said:

Actually I guess Galaxy 2 being dropped 6 months ago times up with the move to wfh so I guess they just didn’t think they could have done it in time. I’d rather they had waited to get all of them together in one app. :(

Galaxy 2 being dropped 6 months ago was a joke, btw. Twitter is a funny place!

I don’t even really care about the price but ever since 3D world came out and there were 4 mainline 3D Mario’s I’ve wanted Mario 3D All Stars but with only 3 games it doesn’t feel right. I’ll be getting 3D world also and honestly I’d be happier right now if that was included in this and it was $120, or $80 and throw in Galaxy 2 Id be happier. I wanted four games in it. :(

Im so emotionally confused right now.

Welp, I love Mario, I don't have a Switch (yet), and these announcements are both exciting and frustrating. It makes sense for Super Mario 3D World, like New Super Mario Bros. U before it, is making the transition to the Switch, but with added content, which is cool. 

1) Why is Super Mario Galaxy 2 not included in Super Mario 3D All-Stars? Why was it ignored to the point it wasn't in their historical retrospective video (it was left off, seemingly)? 

2) Shouldn't a new re-release of Super Mario All-Stars come bundled with Super Mario World and Super Mario World 2: Yoshi's Island at this point? Just add them on. They seem like weird omissions at this point for a 2D mainline Mario games bundle. Remember, I don't believe these two games are available anywhere except on SNES and GBA (and emulation, of course)?

3) Why can Super Mario 64 and Super Mario Galaxy be at 60fps and not Super Mario Sunshine? It makes more sense for Super Mario 64 to remain at 4:3 though, that's the game's real aspect ratio, so that I don't mind (glad to see Sunshine get the widescreen support though, since that game is much more recent). Also, will Super Mario 64 be based on the DS version or the original N64 version?

4) I think it was a really missed opportunity not to move New Super Mario Bros. Wii to the Switch, bundling it with New Super Mario Bros. U + Luigi U when they moved that over to the Switch. Still seeing no bundle announcement nor no separate release moving New Super Mario Bros. Wii to the Switch is bizarre, given it's the only mainline Mario game (that and Galaxy 2 now) that aren't being moved to the Switch. Weird. I'm unsure if the fact they are both Wii games matters.

28 minutes ago, Pikachu said:

Super Mario World 1 & 2 are on the SNES Classic if you managed to snag one of those. The complete absence of Galaxy 2 is really weird though.

That's still SNES and GBA though!

24 minutes ago, Dodger said:

Wait Super Mario World 1 and 2 were already on Nintendo Online right?

I wasn't sure, if so, that's good!

16 minutes ago, Pikachu said:

Based on my google research, yes they were.

That's good! But I don't see that to be the case on Nintendo's online shop (checking Nintendo's official website)? Seems Super Mario World is only on the 3DS and Wii U shops, not the Switch shop. As for Super Mario World 2, it seems to only be on the Wii U shop, not the Switch shop (nor 3DS shop). Still, should be part of the bundle at this point. And what about my other questions!? :p 

Edit: Note that both the Advance version and the original SNES version of both Super Mario World and Super Mario World 2 are on the Wii U shop. I don't see anything for Switch though.

33 minutes ago, Greatoneshere said:

That's still SNES and GBA though!

I wasn't sure, if so, that's good!

That's good! But I don't see that to be the case on Nintendo's online shop (checking Nintendo's official website)? Seems Super Mario World is only on the 3DS and Wii U shops, not the Switch shop. As for Super Mario World 2, it seems to only be on the Wii U shop, not the Switch shop (nor 3DS shop). Still, should be part of the bundle at this point. And what about my other questions!? :p 

Edit: Note that both the Advance version and the original SNES version of both Super Mario World and Super Mario World 2 are on the Wii U shop. I don't see anything for Switch though.

I believe you have to be a subscriber to Nintendo Switch Online to get access to the retro library.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Greatoneshere said:

3) Why can Super Mario 64 and Super Mario Galaxy be at 60fps and not Super Mario Sunshine? It makes more sense for Super Mario 64 to remain at 4:3 though, that's the game's real aspect ratio, so that I don't mind (glad to see Sunshine get the widescreen support though, since that game is much more recent). Also, will Super Mario 64 be based on the DS version or the original N64 version?

Super Mario 64 likely won't be 60fps in this collection.  It looks based off the N64 version.  There are ROM speed hacks that allowed for 60fps and widescreen in emulators, but it was apparently a complicated solution that doesn't apply to all animations universally.  Nintendo is likely emulating it as well, but opted against co-opting that crack for the port.

Super Mario Sunshine was designed originally to run at 60fps, but Nintendo pulled the plug on that plan in late development.  A widescreen patch in Dolphin works wonderfully.  The 60fps crack is nearly perfect, but has an issue with a crash in the amusement park level.  You can get by it by another code which enables a consistent twinkling star effect in the top corner.  (seriously)

With Nintendo's history of pulling rom dumps from the emulation community, you have to wonder that if these 60fps patches were perfect, we may have seen them both in the collection as such.

• Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, crispy4000 said:

Super Mario 64 likely won't be 60fps in this collection.  It looks based off the N64 version.  There are ROM speed hacks that allowed for 60fps and widescreen in emulators, but it was apparently a complicated solution that doesn't apply to all animations universally.  Nintendo is likely emulating it as well, but opted against co-opting that crack for the port.

Super Mario Sunshine was designed originally to run at 60fps, but Nintendo pulled the plug on that plan in late development.  A widescreen patch in Dolphin works wonderfully.  The 60fps crack is nearly perfect, but has an issue with a crash in the amusement park level.  You can get by it by another code which enables a consistent twinkling star effect in the top corner.  (seriously)

With Nintendo's history of pulling rom dumps from the emulation community, you have to wonder that if these 60fps patches were perfect, we may have seen them both in the collection as such.

Thank you! This was all extremely informative and helpful. I'm a big emulation guy, it's a big reason I don't bother with Nintendo systems anymore (all Nintendo games look gorgeous in emulation, for the most part). No "on the go" aspect, which the Switch provides, but I'm not a big handheld guy anyway, my Switch would likely always remain docked. I don't necessarily think Mario requires 60fps, but I was curious why it just wouldn't be provided in a remaster. 

4 hours ago, Greatoneshere said:

As others have noted NES & SNES games are treated differently for the Switch. There is a single app for each platform and the games are provided in a netflix like model. You get access to the app by paying for Nintendo Online Service, the games are not sold a-la-carte. Super Mario All Stars is just the SNES rom offered through the service and the service already has Super Mario World 1 & 2.

https://www.nintendo.com/switch/online-service/nes/

3 hours ago, chakoo said:

As others have noted NES & SNES games are treated differently for the Switch. There is a single app for each platform and the games are provided in a netflix like model. You get access to the app by paying for Nintendo Online Service, the games are not sold a-la-carte. Super Mario All Stars is just the SNES rom offered through the service and the service already has Super Mario World 1 & 2.

https://www.nintendo.com/switch/online-service/nes/

Ah, I see, this makes a lot of sense, appreciate it! So long as they have those games up there then.

22 hours ago, 5timechamp said:

Switch-lite owners hopefully know to expect separate controllers for Mario Galaxy as its a detached joy-con game

Luckily this isn’t true, it supports touchscreen for handheld play. I don’t know if it also lets you use the second analog stick like when you emulate it instead tho, hopefully.

21 hours ago, Brick said:

Have to admit that RC car for Mario Kart would be a great toy for kids. 

Nintendo is really the company that embraces "yeah video games are toys, so what?". 

I'm totally buying one for my son for Christmas. I'll also be stuck buying one for myself since I can't just let him play alone. I'm not some monster.

• Haha 1