Chadwick Boseman dies of cancer

3 hours ago, SaysWho? said:

Hearing about this brought me back to finding out Heath Ledger died.

It reminded me a lot of Andy Whitfield.

Not only tragic as they were both around 40, but also both actors made famous by roles where they were in peak physical fitness. And from the sound of things, both were still hoping to return to those roles and that shape right up until the end. Sad to think about, knowing what cancer does to the body. In the case of Whitfield it was lymphoma.

3 hours ago, sexy_shapiro said:

Yesterday was also the anniversary of MLK’s “I Have a Dream” speech.

As well as Jackie Robinson Day since the MLB moved it from its regular day of April 15th, and it was Jack Kirby's, the co-creator of Black Panther, birthday. 

1 hour ago, Brick said:

As well as Jackie Robinson Day since the MLB moved it from its regular day of April 15th, and it was Jack Kirby's, the co-creator of Black Panther, birthday. 

I know, it was brought up earlier in this thread. :p What I meant was that in addition to those other significant days, it was also the anniversary of I Have a Dream. 

2 hours ago, Chairslinger said:

It reminded me a lot of Andy Whitfield.

Not only tragic as they were both around 40, but also both actors made famous by roles where they were in peak physical fitness. And from the sound of things, both were still hoping to return to those roles and that shape right up until the end. Sad to think about, knowing what cancer does to the body. In the case of Whitfield it was lymphoma.

@JPDunks4 brought this up to me in another chat... so sad and even crazier to realize that Boseman was battling cancer while he was shooting some of those Marvel movies. Cancer is CRAZY. Anyway I got the Boseman story last night and spent all night cutting a piece about him for air this morning. I got choked up a couple of times working on it to be honest.

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

@skillzdadirectaif there's any chance you could share that with us, that would be great. 

As soon as I had heard last night about his passing, I immediately thought of you because I know how much the character of Black Panther meant to you, how much you looked forward to and enjoyed that flick and also Boseman's portrayal. I'm sorry you're hurting as much as I am that the world lost someone not only tremendously talented, but SO VERY GIVING of his time & heart & soul for & towards others. 

Just a friendly reminder that Disney still sucks.

Goochland Drive-In to show ’42′ after being unable to screen ’Black Panther’

Goochland’s Drive-in Theater will now show “42″ after no longer being able to hold its planned special screening of Black Panther due to a decision by Disney.

The screening was planned after ‘Black Panther’ actor Chadwick Boseman died at the age of 43 after privately battling colon cancer. Boseman was diagnosed at stage 3 in 2016 but never spoke publicly about it.

However, the owners of the drive-in now say that Disney is no longer allowing theaters to screen the movie.

“We had the film booked last Saturday. We are both saddened and embarrassed by this, and sincerely wish Disney would reconsider,” drive-in officials told NBC12.

• Guillotine 1

1 hour ago, Emperor Diocletian II said:

Just a friendly reminder that Disney still sucks.

Goochland Drive-In to show ’42′ after being unable to screen ’Black Panther’

I wonder if they canceled the screening because they showed it on ABC last night with a tribute right after? Don't see how the drive in screening would impact that though :hmm:

I wonder if it's a legal thing, like when that school was showing Disney movies during a fundraiser, and had to pay Disney $250. It sucks, and I'm sure they don't really care, but ignoring it sets a precedent that could be exploited, so lawyers are always looking for even minor stuff. It's like with stupid copyright battles like Bethesda suing over a game calling itself Scrolls, because even the appearance of not protecting their IP can risk them losing their copyright or some shit.

27 minutes ago, skillzdadirecta said:

I wonder if they canceled the screening because they showed it on ABC last night with a tribute right after? Don't see how the drive in screening would impact that though :hmm:

It’s actually something a bit simpler. Disney is allowing 12 repertory films to be screened right now, the ones that previously only played in one week rotations of 3.  They are only booking them as double features with other Disney titles. So you could play BP with another Disney film, like we did this past weekend with New Mutants.