Chadwick Boseman dies of cancer

Someone posted that T'Challa shouldn't be recast... they suggest the next movie open with a tribute to T'Challa, then Infinity Stone Killmonger back to life and he becomes the new Black Panther...the film could be about his journey to find his place as the next Panther.. Did not sound like a bad idea at all.

30 minutes ago, 5timechamp said:

Someone posted that T'Challa shouldn't be recast... they suggest the next movie open with a tribute to T'Challa, then Infinity Stone Killmonger back to life and he becomes the new Black Panther...the film could be about his journey to find his place as the next Panther.. Did not sound like a bad idea at all.

No thank you. Plus the infinity stone idea is dumb. Shuri in the comics eventually assumes the mantle of BP and I think it would make perfect sense in the MCU.

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, NeoJoe said:

No thank you. Plus the infinity stone idea is dumb. Shuri in the comics eventually assumes the mantle of BP and I think it would make perfect sense in the MCU.

This. There's precedent for it and I doubt Michael B. Jordan would even WANT to do that... it's possible and wouldn't be the worse thing to happen, plus I know they were planning on bringing Killmonger back for the sequel anyway because he was so popular. It wouldn't be the end of the world for me if Killmonger assumed the Mantle, even temporarily, but ultimately it should go to Shuri. They definitely shouldn't recast right now though.

• Like 1

Wouldn’t be mad if Killmonger became BP but I think it should be Shuri. Makes the most sense and would be more organic. Then have a guy who can be the sidekick so we still have both male and female represented for the kids. And if you bring killmonger back he can just be killmonger. 

How exactly are you guys envisioning Killmonger coming back to life? Outside of the infinity stones which I highly doubt they'll ever bring back again. We had over 10 years of infinity stone drama. I'm sure Marvel is keen to move forward from them being plot devices. I know I am. lol

Assuming T'Challa granted his last wish, he's buried out at sea. 

29 minutes ago, NeoJoe said:

How exactly are you guys envisioning Killmonger coming back to life? Outside of the infinity stones which I highly doubt they'll ever bring back again. We had over 10 years of infinity stone drama. I'm sure Marvel is keen to move forward from them being plot devices. I know I am. lol

It is wakanda I think they can do whatever they want there lol 

3 hours ago, NeoJoe said:

maybe shia labeouf is brought in... they discover a shard of an Infinity Stone which affects Shia revealing a path to fallen black panthers... the bad guys use another shard to revive killmonger after hes extracted from his sea burial...

but yeah.. Shuri is a solid choice, Lupita would be another option too

3 hours ago, NeoJoe said:

Like someone else said, it's Wakanda.  He got stabbed, not disintegrated.  Plus he had the Panther's powers as well, its not inconceivable that between the heart shaped herb and Wakandan Super science that he would be alive. Or at least in suspended animation.  T'challa clearly wanted to save him in the end even if he didn't want to be saved. 

Plus considering what's been going on in the world today I think there will be a lot more people receptive to his... point of view.

6 hours ago, Keyser_Soze said:

The funny thing about that (and it's kind of a dick thing to say in this thread) but I always thought Michael B Jordan should have been Black Panther anyway. :p

But I'm kind of a MBJ fanboy anyway.

well lets bet honest, MBJ owned that role and, no disrespect to Boseman, was without a doubt the best thing in the movie. Definitely the most stylish Marvel movie to date, and I think the only real fault I can find it was the CGI fight at the end. That was painful and so damn glaring given the quality of just about everything else in the movie. 

As for who should assume the mantel of BP...no clue. While I'd love to see Killmonger return, it would kind of lessen the impact of his death. Shuri is definitely a fun character, I just don't know that I see her in the leading role. I saw her as an amusing support character, not sure the personality she showed in BP works as the main hero. But I could be wrong. I always assumed they were planning to expand her role in future BP movies with T'challa eventually handing off the role to her. 

1 hour ago, skillzdadirecta said:

Like someone else said, it's Wakanda.  He got stabbed, not disintegrated.  Plus he had the Panther's powers as well, its not inconceivable that between the heart shaped herb and Wakandan Super science that he would be alive. Or at least in suspended animation.  T'challa clearly wanted to save him in the end even if he didn't want to be saved. 

Plus considering what's been going on in the world today I think there will be a lot more people receptive to his... point of view.

Maybe when the Avengers reversed time he came back to life anyway without them knowing! :shock:

I think it's too soon to make Shuri the Black Panther. Eventually maybe, but not yet. I think it's, not sure if this is the right word but, an overreaction to kill off T'Challa just because of Boseman's passing, as the character means too much to too many people, and I would think he'd want the character to keep going. This isn't like the Heath Ledger situation where his character was dealt with in the movie that can definitely be the last time we see him, as nice as it would have been to see the character again in the sequel. They probably should just recast the character, and get a great actor to keep T'Challa going. Maybe John David Washington if he can get the accent right. 

Either way I think it's ultimately up to what Ryan Coogler feels comfortable with, but I think it's too soon to be talking about this sort of thing so shortly after Boseman's death. 

Apparently, Marvel/Disney didn't know he had cancer until after he'd died.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/disney-grapples-with-how-to-proceed-on-black-panther-without-chadwick-boseman?utm_source=twitter&utm_medium=social

On Aug. 28, Marvel chief creative officer Kevin Feige received an urgent email regarding Chadwick Boseman, with no further information. Unbeknownst to anyone at the studio, the Black Panther star had been battling colon cancer privately for four-plus years and had taken a sudden turn for the worse. By the time Feige read the message an hour later, Boseman already had died, sending shock waves through Disney and the tight-knit Marvel Cinematic Universe.

A source close to Boseman tells The Hollywood Reporter that the 43-year-old actor, who had become noticeably thin in recent months, was convinced until about a week before his death that he was going to beat cancer and would be able to gain the weight back for a Black Panther sequel that was scheduled to go into production in March. The actor was even set to prepare for the new film beginning in September.

Disney sources say the company is processing its grief and that its focus at this stage is to pay tribute to Boseman and not on the making of a Black Panther sequel. Only a handful of non-family members knew that Boseman was sick, including producing partner Logan Coles, longtime agent Michael Greene, trainer Addison Henderson and 42 director Brian Helgeland — with varying degrees of knowledge about the severity of the actor’s condition. No one involved with Black Panther was aware, says a source. It was Boseman’s wish to keep his cancer battle private.

Many are left wondering how Boseman kept his diagnosis under wraps while shooting a film with a colossal budget like the $200 million Black Panther in 2017 (the film opened the following year and went on to earn $1.35 billion worldwide and was nominated for a best picture Oscar). But film finance attorney Schuyler Moore says a Marvel star wouldn’t likely require a medical examination for insurance purposes.

Crazy. Even more sad that he thought he was going to beat it until a week before his death :( .

1 hour ago, CitizenVectron said:

I was genuinely wondering about this when it happened, from a legal perspective. Crazy.

I’m very surprised that no physicals are required by the insurance companies that insure mega productions like this. The cost of suspending production if the lead falls ill is incredibly high, you would think they would want to ensure the leads are all in good health.

5 minutes ago, sblfilms said:

I’m very surprised that no physicals are required by the insurance companies that insure mega productions like this. The cost of suspending production if the lead falls ill is incredibly high, you would think they would want to ensure the leads are all in good health.

True, but it’s unlikely that a routine physical would have caught what Chadwick was dealing with even if he had a routine physical. 

11 minutes ago, Kal-El814 said:

True, but it’s unlikely that a routine physical would have caught what Chadwick was dealing with even if he had a routine physical. 

I don’t know enough about cancer, so none of the standard bloodwork panels would come back weird if you had a pretty aggressive cancer?

Because that’s really terrifying 😬

6 minutes ago, sblfilms said:

I don’t know enough about cancer, so none of the standard bloodwork panels would come back weird if you had a pretty aggressive cancer?

Pretty sure that with colorectal cancer, in general, a scope is the only way to tell.

2 hours ago, sblfilms said:

I am similarly surprised, though a regular physical wouldn't have found this. I'm more surprised they don't do everything under the sun.

2 hours ago, sblfilms said:

Correct. Both my parents and both of my younger brother are all doctors, so I'm surrounded haha. It's why each decade of your life you're supposed to add more and more workups to your life. Turning 30, stress tests for heart, blood tests, etc. Turn 40, colonoscopy, etc. Turn 50, and so on. It's very important. Standard bloodwork panels don't catch most diseases and issues, just some of the more obvious and basic health stuff (still super important to do though!). Most worse issues require much more and a variety of tests. Worst of it is, you might be perfectly healthy for years and not even know you are sick outwardly - all the more reason to test for these invisible diseases and issues.

2 hours ago, Kal-El814 said:

Pretty sure that with colorectal cancer, in general, a scope is the only way to tell.

I'm pretty sure this is the case, unless you know what to look for I believe (in which case perhaps there are other ways to find it/test for it), which you wouldn't typically know to look for.

Why guys, why. I liked it better when I thought my annual checkup was good enough 😂 I have been diabetic since childhood and get a LOT of different panels done each year, most importantly regarding kidney function, which fortunately remain in the normal range despite 20+ years with the cursed disease.

14 minutes ago, sblfilms said:

Why guys, why. I liked it better when I thought my annual checkup was good enough 😂 I have been diabetic since childhood and get a LOT of different panels done each year, most importantly regarding kidney function, which fortunately remain in the normal range despite 20+ years with the cursed disease.

That sucks! But, I'm glad you've been taking care of it and getting tests, etc. But yeah, as we get older, there's stuff here and there to add. :p 

4 minutes ago, CastlevaniaNut18 said:

Generally speaking, 50 is the recommended age for routine colonoscopy. Unless you have other risk factors.

And definite no on a routine stress test at 30. You really don't ever need one unless you have known cardiac disease and are experiencing symptoms.

I mean, I like to know where I stand and I like to be safe. My dad's a cardiologist, so my advice is probably a bit aggressive. I would say you're more normal/reasonable. :p 

7 minutes ago, Greatoneshere said:

I mean, I like to know where I stand and I like to be safe. My dad's a cardiologist, so my advice is probably a bit aggressive. I would say you're more normal/reasonable. :p 

If your dad is a cardiologist, then he'd know the evidence on the efficacy of stress tests. He's probably had more than one patient who had an MI not long after a negative stress test. We don't see them done much these days, unless someone is actually having symptoms. If you're asymptomatic and don't have any cardiac issues, there's really no need for one. Especially not routine at 30. I've never seen that done and I've been in the field for a decade now.

I'm 33. I get routine labs yearly. I also do cardio daily. That's all the stress testing I need.

I mean, if you really want one done(the nonnuclear med type) and want to waste the money on it, go for it. But the evidence shows it's not going to be of much real use if you have no other issues.

5 minutes ago, CastlevaniaNut18 said:

If your dad is a cardiologist, then he'd know the evidence on the efficacy of stress tests. He's probably had more than one patient who had an MI not long after a negative stress test. We don't see them done much these days, unless someone is actually having symptoms. If you're asymptomatic and don't have any cardiac issues, there's really no need for one. Especially not routine at 30. I've never seen that done and I've been in the field for a decade now.

I'm 33. I get routine labs yearly. I also do cardio daily. That's all the stress testing I need.

I mean, if you really want one done(the nonnuclear med type) and want to waste the money on it, go for it. But the evidence shows it's not going to be of much real use if you have no other issues.

Yeah, all accurate. :)

42 minutes ago, Greatoneshere said:

I'm pretty sure this is the case, unless you know what to look for I believe (in which case perhaps there are other ways to find it/test for it), which you wouldn't typically know to look for.

There’s no, “blood test for colon cancer,” straight up. Sometimes abnormal liver or kidney function showing up in a panel would prompt someone to recommend additional investigation. Some colorectal cancers sometimes produce CEA (carcinoembryonic antigen) which does show up in blood tests. But the only real way to find colorectal cancer is to literally have a look.

I'm very impressed that he was able to keep it a secret from Disney, and it's hard to say it wasn't the right move. Would they have signed him up for all the movies they did if he told them? It's hard to say for sure, but it certainly wouldn't have helped his chances at all. Good on him for deciding what he wanted to do and just doing it. Must have taken a real toll to do all that work and not really show it.

31 minutes ago, Kal-El814 said:

There’s no, “blood test for colon cancer,” straight up. Sometimes abnormal liver or kidney function showing up in a panel would prompt someone to recommend additional investigation. Some colorectal cancers sometimes produce CEA (carcinoembryonic antigen) which does show up in blood tests. But the only real way to find colorectal cancer is to literally have a look.

I simply meant there might be a test of some kind, not a blood test though. I had assumed that yeah, there's no blood test for colon cancer, I should have been more clear heh.